Fantasy Baseball Thread V

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
First fantasy baseball league so take it easy, kind of went in blind on drafting.

C Brian McCann
1B Joey Votto
2B Jonathan Scoop
3B Anthony Rendon
SS Jean Segura
2B/SS Zack Cozart
1B/3B Anthony Rizzo
OF AJ Pollock
OF Adam Jones
OF Mitch Haniger
OF Max Kepler
OF Nick Markakis
UTL Jake Lamb

SP Corey Kluber
SP Yu Darvish
SP Chris Archer
SP Zack Godley
SP Julio Teheran
SP Mike Leake
RP Edwin Diaz
RP Brad Hand
RP Brad Treinen

BN Yangervis Solarte
BN Rougned Odor
BN Addison Russell
BN Maikel Franco
BN Kevin Pillar

Who should I drop/trade? I’ve also realized I should’ve drafted pitchers for the bench...that is a rookie mistake and I regret it now already.

Pitchers undrafted with most pts in our scoring system: J. Nelson, J. Chacin, J. Vargas, I. Nova, S. Manaea

All in that order

None of those pitchers are really worth adding.

How many teams? The team looks decent, although like you said, a bench pitcher or two would have been nice.

I've never really been a huge Russell fan. Pillar is a better real life player.

Drafted a team over the weekend 10th pick:

C: Tucker Barnhart
1B: Edwin Encarnacion, Matt Olson, Matt Carpenter
2B: Brian Dozier
3B: Kris Bryant, Rafael Devers
SS: Corey Seager
OF: Starling Marte, AJ Pollock, Domingo Santana, Adam Eaton, Ronald Acuna, Willie Calhoun

SP: Max Scherzer, Carlos Martinez, Marcus Stroman, Gio Gonzalez, Jamison Taillon, Julio Teheran, Lance Lynn
RP: Brandon Morrow, Blake Treinen

I'm not a fan of your pitching depth at all. Acuna is going so late in drafts for some reason. He should only be in the minors for a couple of weeks. I probably would have went with a starting pitcher where you took Olson and Devers. Your offense looks good, though.

Got my draft tonight. 10 team 5x5 roto.

Any tips?

Do you know what pick you have?

The advice I can give you is don't tank a category, and don't reach for saves.

Reactions: PG Canuck

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Do you know what pick you have?

The advice I can give you is don't tank a category, and don't reach for saves.

No, I won't know until later tonight.

By tank a category, you mean don't forget about it essentially? Or overload on it? Or both?

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Here's my sleeper/good value pick list. Anyone I should add or remove?

Sleeper Picks;
P Taijuan Walker (ARI)
C Wilson Ramos (TB)
DH Hanley Ramirez (BOS) – Last Round?
P Matt Harvey (NYM) – Last Round?
2B Ozzie Albies (ATL)
2B Yoan Moncada (CWS)
P Luke Weaver (STL)
OF Randal Grichuk (TOR)
1B Ryan McMahon (COL)
2B Devon Travis – Last Round?

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
No, I won't know until later tonight.

By tank a category, you mean don't forget about it essentially? Or overload on it? Or both?

Both. There’s no point in overloading since you get the same amount of points if you win by one or win by 100. You also don’t want to forget since getting one point in a category is a killer.

Reactions: Cor

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
Here's my sleeper/good value pick list. Anyone I should add or remove?

Sleeper Picks;
P Taijuan Walker (ARI)
C Wilson Ramos (TB)
DH Hanley Ramirez (BOS) – Last Round?
P Matt Harvey (NYM) – Last Round?
2B Ozzie Albies (ATL)
2B Yoan Moncada (CWS)
P Luke Weaver (STL)
OF Randal Grichuk (TOR)
1B Ryan McMahon (COL)
2B Devon Travis – Last Round?

I'm usually one of the last people to take a catcher. I like Ramos, but he's probably around 7th or 8th on most catcher lists. I'm a big fan of Albies this year. McMahon is blocked from playing time everywhere. I don't like Harvey to bounce back. I like Weaver a lot too.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
None of those pitchers are really worth adding.

How many teams? The team looks decent, although like you said, a bench pitcher or two would have been nice.

I've never really been a huge Russell fan. Pillar is a better real life player.

10 teams total.

Yeah which is why I am considering just dropping Pillar and Russell, even though maybe the pitchers may not be worth it, they will be more useful to me since Russell is not going to ever be put into my lineup over Cozart or Segura unless one of those guys aren’t playing. And the 2B/SS slot is going to taken by Cozart/Segura/Schoop/Odor/Solarte as I try to fit as many into my lineup at a time. I’m already struggling to find a way to get Odor into my lineup.

Pillar looks to be able to slot into my lineup more easier but as you noted his fantasy value isn’t that high - I might be able to move him just because he’s a Jay though.

Worth to drop one or both of them to pick up a pitcher? I think it might be worth to just take a flyer on a pitcher or two and hope they pan out, if not, try another two.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
How confident are we Greg Holland will be a closer when he signs? Right now he's going in the last round of drafts, if at all. That'd be amazing value if he signs into a closing role.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
10 teams total.

Yeah which is why I am considering just dropping Pillar and Russell, even though maybe the pitchers may not be worth it, they will be more useful to me since Russell is not going to ever be put into my lineup over Cozart or Segura unless one of those guys aren’t playing. And the 2B/SS slot is going to taken by Cozart/Segura/Schoop/Odor/Solarte as I try to fit as many into my lineup at a time. I’m already struggling to find a way to get Odor into my lineup.

Pillar looks to be able to slot into my lineup more easier but as you noted his fantasy value isn’t that high - I might be able to move him just because he’s a Jay though.

Worth to drop one or both of them to pick up a pitcher? I think it might be worth to just take a flyer on a pitcher or two and hope they pan out, if not, try another two.

What other pitchers are available outside of the ones you mentioned? Are there any high upside guys left?

How confident are we Greg Holland will be a closer when he signs? Right now he's going in the last round of drafts, if at all. That'd be amazing value if he signs into a closing role.

I don't think he'll sign until early June because there's a loss of draft pick tied to him. I wouldn't stash him for over two months.

Reactions: PG Canuck

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
What other pitchers are available outside of the ones you mentioned? Are there any high upside guys left?

I’m not too familiar with any pitchers left but I’ll give a list of starters that are ‘projected’ to put up the most pts under our scoring system after the starters I just mentioned:

M.Foltynewicz 343pts
R.Lopez 341pts
C.Richard 338pts
J.Junis 333pts
M.Shoemaker 328pts
A.Newcomb 328pts
T.Anderson 328pts
J.Hammel 328pts

Any pitchers I should maybe look to see if they are available? I know it’s hard without being in the league but maybe any sleepers you have in mind.

Some relievers available

Last edited:

HockeyThoughts

Delivering The Truth
Jul 23, 2007
Mississauga
12 team keeper league. 4 keepers per team - 3 position players and one pitcher - you get to keep the player where he was previously drafted.

C - E. Gattis
1B - Zimmerman
2B - Schoop (14th round)
3B - Machado (6th round)
SS - J. Segura (17th round)
LF - Rosario
CF - T. Pham
RF - J.D. Martinez
Util - A. Simmons
BN -
BN -
DL - Y. Gurriel
DL - J. Turner

SP - Greinke
SP - Carassco
RP - Knebel
RP - A. Bradley
P - S. Gray (19th round)
P - Gio Gonzalez
P - R. Hill
P - Peacock
BN - R.Porcello (P)
BN - Devenski (RP)

1.) How's the team look? Any glaring holes? Strengths? Weaknesses?

2.) Once I put Gurriel and Turner on the DL I can pick up two more players. Who should I target? Some notables include:
  • Tim Anderson
  • Starlin Castro
  • Logan Morrison
  • Cesar Hernandez
  • Michael Brantley
  • Michael Taylor
  • Aaron Hicks
  • Dustin Pedroia
  • Gerardo Parra
  • Lance Lynn (P)

Last edited:

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Alright, had the draft last night. Rate my team. 10 team, snake draft, roto, standard 5x5 categories. Held the 6th overall pick. Took Correra a bit high. I was planning on taking Kershaw or Goldy, but both went 4th and 5th. Correra was the last guy on my list of 5 (Had Altuve/Trout if I got a top 2 or 3 pick, Kershaw/Goldy if a got a 4-6 picks, and Correra if I got a 7/8-10 pick) but I think I just have a solid well rounded team.

C- Mike Zunino
1B- Chris Davis
2B- Jonathan Schoop
3B- Kris Bryant
SS- Carlos Correa
2B/SS- Trevor Story
1B/3B- Matt Carpenter
OF- Cody Bellinger
OF- Lorenzo Cain
OF- Adam Duvall
OF- Ronald Acuna
OF- Avisail Garcia
UTIL- Josh Bell

P- Carlos Carrasco
P- Justin Verlander
P- Chris Archer
P- Cole Hamels
P- Alex Wood
P- Taijuan Walker
P- Aroldis Chapman
P- Cody Allen
P- Mark Melancon

BE- Eric Thames - Banking on first half Thames to rear it's head again
BE- Jose Pereza - Wanted an additional SB guy
BE- Alex Claudio - banking on him earning the full time closing role in Texas
BE- Matt Harvey - last pick hail mary.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
Alright, had the draft last night. Rate my team. 10 team, snake draft, roto, standard 5x5 categories. Held the 6th overall pick. Took Correra a bit high. I was planning on taking Kershaw or Goldy, but both went 4th and 5th. Correra was the last guy on my list of 5 (Had Altuve/Trout if I got a top 2 or 3 pick, Kershaw/Goldy if a got a 4-6 picks, and Correra if I got a 7/8-10 pick) but I think I just have a solid well rounded team.

C- Mike Zunino
1B- Chris Davis
2B- Jonathan Schoop
3B- Kris Bryant
SS- Carlos Correa
2B/SS- Trevor Story
1B/3B- Matt Carpenter
OF- Cody Bellinger
OF- Lorenzo Cain
OF- Adam Duvall
OF- Ronald Acuna
OF- Avisail Garcia
UTIL- Josh Bell

P- Carlos Carrasco
P- Justin Verlander
P- Chris Archer
P- Cole Hamels
P- Alex Wood
P- Taijuan Walker
P- Aroldis Chapman
P- Cody Allen
P- Mark Melancon

BE- Eric Thames - Banking on first half Thames to rear it's head again
BE- Jose Pereza - Wanted an additional SB guy
BE- Alex Claudio - banking on him earning the full time closing role in Texas
BE- Matt Harvey - last pick hail mary.

I don't think you have enough speed. I know that you have a bunch of first eligible guys, but I would have liked to see a better first baseman than Davis. It's difficult for me to judge since I usually play in 12 team leagues (or more).

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I don't think you have enough speed. I know that you have a bunch of first eligible guys, but I would have liked to see a better first baseman than Davis. It's difficult for me to judge since I usually play in 12 team leagues (or more).

Speed is definitley my weak point, but I only have 4 players projected to have less than 5 sb's and only 1 player with 0. I'll be happy if I can snag 3 or 4 points in that category.

As for 1B, I justify it that since I have a Schoop-Bryant-Correra-Story, I was able to fill my 1B, 1B/3B, and UTIL slots with Davis, Bell and Carpenter. Especially since I'm one of those who believe Carpenter's poised to have a great year. Plus, if necessary, I can look at moving Davis or Bell for an OF (where there is a ton of depth), and using Bellinger as my 1B.

I was really sour on my team last night, but I'm actually optimistic now.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
My keeper draft, had first pick. Don’t like my pitchers all that much but I do like my offense

H2H
R, H, HR, RBI, SB, AVG, OBP
W, L, K, ERA, WHIP, K/9, SV+H

C- Molina
1b- Bellinger (OF)
2b- Kinsler
3b- Shaw
SS- Bogaerts
OF- Trout
OF- Betts
OF- McCutchen
UTIL- Benintendi (OF)
UTIL- K. Seaver (3b)
BN- Mazara (OF)
BN- Kingery (2b)
NA-

SP- Strasburg
SP- C. Martinez
SP- Greinke
SP- L. Weaver
SP- Odorizzi
RP- Chapman
RP- Familia
RP- Herrera
BN- Taillon
BN- Glasnow

Dropping Glasnow for D. Peralta (hopefully) and picking up Andujar for my NA spot

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
My keeper draft, had first pick. Don’t like my pitchers all that much but I do like my offense

H2H
R, H, HR, RBI, SB, AVG, OBP
W, L, K, ERA, WHIP, K/9, SV+H

C- Molina
1b- Bellinger (OF)
2b- Kinsler
3b- Shaw
SS- Bogaerts
OF- Trout
OF- Betts
OF- McCutchen
UTIL- Benintendi (OF)
UTIL- K. Seaver (3b)
BN- Mazara (OF)
BN- Kingery (2b)
NA-

SP- Strasburg
SP- C. Martinez
SP- Greinke
SP- L. Weaver
SP- Odorizzi
RP- Chapman
RP- Familia
RP- Herrera
BN- Taillon
BN- Glasnow

Dropping Glasnow for D. Peralta (hopefully) and picking up Andujar for my NA spot

I like your pitching a lot. :dunno:

Who were your keepers?

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Ryan McMahon made the opening roster for the Rockies.

I suggest everyone pick him up if he remains available in your leagues, or a late round steal if you have yet to draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad