Fantasy Baseball Thread V

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
After a lucky season re: injuries my team is hitting some serious injury troubles now.

Will Trent Grisham get consistent playing time for the remainder of the season? Yahoo seems to think hes a quality fantasy option.

I'm sitting pretty in first place but I need some input if these are decent replacements:

C- Narvaez
1b- Bellinger (OF)
2b- Albies
3b- Bryant (OF)
SS- Bichette
OF- Betts
OF- Y. Alvarez
OF- Brantley
UTIL- Hiura (2b)
UTIL- Benintendi (OF)
BN- Buxton (DL- shoulder, most likely for rest of fantasy season, needs to go)
BN- Verdugo (DL- oblique, most likely for rest of fantasy season, needs to go)
BN- Swanson (DL- foot, will likely be back but I now have Bichette at SS)

DL- Andujar

SP- Ryu (DL- don't think its anything serious)
SP- Buehler
SP- Kershaw
SP- Boyd
SP- Marquez
RP- Pressley (DL- coming back soon)
RP- Rogers
RP- (blank)
BN- McKay
BN- Wheeler

NA- Dustin May
DL- Kelley (RP- coming back soon)

Potential guys to pick up: Eloy Jiminez (OF), Mallex Smith (OF), Franmil Reyes (OF), Trent Grisham (OF)
Guys I will be dropping: Buxton (OF), Verdugo (OF)
Potential guys to drop: Swanson (SS)

The only problem I have is that Dustin May is in the majors so before making any moves I need to decide whether or not I'm going to keep him. If I am I'll have to drop someone to fill his spot, he starts tomorrow so I'll probably wait until then to decide. Grisham and Smith are intriguing because of their speed potential. Grisham apparently is better with the bat but the question is playing time. Jiminez and Reyes are power guys obviously.

12 team H2H (5) keeper league.
2 DL spots, 1 NA spots
H, R, HR, RBI, SB, AVG, OBP
W, L, K, ERA, WHIP, K/9, SV+H

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
So... um... the person I co-own a team with just traded away Eugenio Suarez and Ian Anderson for a guy in rookie ball without my permission.

There is no taxi squad, so we have to keep him on our main roster.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
Jorge Soler is only owned in 74 percent of Yahoo leagues. Think about that for a second. That must mean a quarter of the leagues that are made on Yahoo are completely dead.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
My stats yesterday for my main dynasty:

.400 AVG, 1.104 OPS, 10 runs, 4 homers, 9 RBI, 0 steals, 3 walks

And my opponent either tied me or bettered me in every category yesterday...

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
Starting to get fed up with my co-owner...

We have zero starting pitching. I'm trying to go for a strategy to try to win ERA and WHIP and letting our good offense try to win four of five hitting categories. But the co-owner loves his prospects, and I always try to win now. The team is going to make the playoffs, but he keeps adding prospects and cutting the relievers I added even though the starting pitching is awful. He already traded Hader (before the season, so we didn't know he'd be this bad), and he cut Ottavino and Kahnle within the last few days.

This strategy worked last year, and it would probably work again. But prospects!

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
You guys sound like the Wilpon and Doubleday of owners lol

I've gone the other way with prospects in my cap dynasty - we do have 60-man farm systems though. If not quite all in (I haven't traded top 100 guys other than Josh James), I was pretty close, and mostly have traded for rentals although some of my trades were also with saving future years' cap in mind too. Posting most of the trades probably will take more time and explanation than anyone would spend reading it anyway. A couple of smaller examples - far from my biggest deals though:

Prospects Denyi Reyes and Carlos Rincon for Justin Smoak (rental)
Prospect Jorge Ona for Marwin Gonzalez (rental)

So far, so good - won my division and got the top seed in my league, playoffs start next week...and you get a slight cap bump depending on playoff success too (anything from an extra million for making the playoffs to an extra five million for winning the league).

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
You guys sound like the Wilpon and Doubleday of owners lol

I've gone the other way with prospects in my cap dynasty - we do have 60-man farm systems though. If not quite all in (I haven't traded top 100 guys other than Josh James), I was pretty close, and mostly have traded for rentals although some of my trades were also with saving future years' cap in mind too. Posting most of the trades probably will take more time and explanation than anyone would spend reading it anyway. A couple of smaller examples - far from my biggest deals though:

Prospects Denyi Reyes and Carlos Rincon for Justin Smoak (rental)
Prospect Jorge Ona for Marwin Gonzalez (rental)

So far, so good - won my division and got the top seed in my league, playoffs start next week...and you get a slight cap bump depending on playoff success too (anything from an extra million for making the playoffs to an extra five million for winning the league).

60 man farms? Damn. How many teams?

Good luck.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
60 man farms? Damn. How many teams?

Good luck.

24 team league so theoretically you could have 1440 prospects rostered total. You get ten rounds in the AMAT draft, a franchise fill after the draft where you can add any current year draft pick signed by your ‘franchise’ (mine is Tampa) who wasn’t taken in the AMAT draft, plus six rounds of an offseason minor league free agent draft including the July 2 and after international signings.

Even with all that, potentially useful guys can fall through the cracks (Jeff McNeil was an in season FA signing a couple years ago when he got called up since he wasn’t in anyone’s farm, for example).

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
The money fantasy league I'm in has weekly lineup locks. I am currently in first place, but the person behind me has been adding two start pitchers every week. It costs money to make a free agent add, so he's racking up a lot of money in transaction fees. I don't think I'm going to hang on because of this, but I don't want to go crazy because the money you do win depends on how much you spent as well as the money the league spends as a whole.

I added Tanner Roark, not because he has two starts next week (even though he does), but because I read that Ryu may have a few starts skipped in September to keep him fresher for the playoffs.

I'll probably profit about $800 if I hang on (straight points league). Pray for me, haha.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
I took out Eddie Rosario last week in my weekly lock league since he hadn't played since Wednesday. I added Adam Eaton and put him in for Rosario. Rosario played on Tuesday (they were off Monday) and had 19 points for the week. Eaton had a grand total of... zero.

Ugh.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I took out Eddie Rosario last week in my weekly lock league since he hadn't played since Wednesday. I added Adam Eaton and put him in for Rosario. Rosario played on Tuesday (they were off Monday) and had 19 points for the week. Eaton had a grand total of... zero.

Ugh.

Yeah these injury issues are always killer in September, especially in a weekly league with no new IL's.

My top-seeded cap franchise team is going to have a QUICK one-and-done thanks in part to my offense being absolutely obliterated by injures and...whatever :P

-Brandon Lowe (out for the year)
-Derek Dietrich (diasteriffic from the second I traded for him)
-Tim Beckham (popped for PED's)
-Javy Baez, Marwin Gonzalez and Lorenzo Cain, all in my lineup but haven't played yet this week

Not like I left any real options on the bench though. It's a 24-team league with 23-man rosters and 60-man minors, and in-season FA is over with. Literally my only alternative for anyone was Mauricio Dubon. I was already rolling out Jon Berti - who's actually been good - at 2B to replace Lowe and Willi Castro at middle infield as it is. My lineup when healthy actually hasn't been terrible but...

And to top that off my opponent's three best starting pitchers all have two starts this week with great matchups, I'm already way behind on WHIP and I basically had to win all the ratios and four or five of the six pitching categories this week.

Last edited:

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
fl keeper.jpg

This team is in danger of missing the playoffs in my keep six league (standard 5x5 H2H...).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->