Fantasy Baseball Thread V

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I might have a keeper league position if you are interested! Keep up to 12 players (can keep less) and the rest go into a re-draft. Lets you keep your top/fav players but have the opportunity to re-build quicker than a straight dynasty. We've been running this league for 5 years now, going into our 6th, and it's full of competitive people who set lineups and look to make trades. If it's something you might be interested in, I have 1 team that is available, let me know.

What site?

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I'd have no flexibility in the auction, though.

I just got offered this:

I get: Rendon (24)
I give: Pujols (9), Robbie Ray (11) and Kyle Tucker (3)

Pujols was going to be a cut anyway. I really don't buy Robbie Ray even though he's a strikeout machine. Tucker is the one I'm hesitating to give up. Rendon is definitely well below market value.

Thoughts?

I'd take Rendon. He's now hitting his stride and should be a fantasy machine for the next 6-7 years. Tucker is no sure thing.

Garlando

May 5, 2014
Kingston, Ontario
I'd have no flexibility in the auction, though.

I just got offered this:

I get: Rendon (24)
I give: Pujols (9), Robbie Ray (11) and Kyle Tucker (3)

Pujols was going to be a cut anyway. I really don't buy Robbie Ray even though he's a strikeout machine. Tucker is the one I'm hesitating to give up. Rendon is definitely well below market value.

Thoughts?
If you're going all in this year for a championship, I can see this deal being worthwhile. I really like Tucker as I have heard 70-grade future hit tool + he's shown high-end power/speed in the minors so he's a likely top 50 player if he reaches his ceiling. Rendon would solve that 3B problem you have and make your offense disgustingly good! I'm kinda with you on Ray, he's a slight regression candiadate in that his BAPIP against should regress making him more of a mid-high 3's ERA pitcher. That's still a really good pitcher though in fantasy with his K's. Would be tough for you to find similar value elsewhere. To me, it's a pretty fair deal in a vacuum if you're going for it. I'd be looking to move prospects like Frazier to try and solidify my pitching again if I did the Rendon deal.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
I'd take Rendon. He's now hitting his stride and should be a fantasy machine for the next 6-7 years. Tucker is no sure thing.

If you're going all in this year for a championship, I can see this deal being worthwhile. I really like Tucker as I have heard 70-grade future hit tool + he's shown high-end power/speed in the minors so he's a likely top 50 player if he reaches his ceiling. Rendon would solve that 3B problem you have and make your offense disgustingly good! I'm kinda with you on Ray, he's a slight regression candiadate in that his BAPIP against should regress making him more of a mid-high 3's ERA pitcher. That's still a really good pitcher though in fantasy with his K's. Would be tough for you to find similar value elsewhere. To me, it's a pretty fair deal in a vacuum if you're going for it. I'd be looking to move prospects like Frazier to try and solidify my pitching again if I did the Rendon deal.

Thanks, guys. I took it.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
I posted this trade in one of the earlier threads. Someone traded away Mike Trout and Chris Archer for Chris Davis, Andrew McCutchen, Mark Melancon, Marco Estrada and a 3rd round pick in 2020 in an 18 team dynasty. The person that traded Trout is leaving the league. To say I'm extremely pissed off is an understatement.

Garlando

May 5, 2014
Kingston, Ontario
I posted this trade in one of the earlier threads. Someone traded away Mike Trout and Chris Archer for Chris Davis, Andrew McCutchen, Mark Melancon, Marco Estrada and a 3rd round pick in 2020 in an 18 team dynasty. The person that traded Trout is leaving the league. To say I'm extremely pissed off is an understatement.
You have a right to be! That's pretty bush league after a very sub-par return for Trout and Archer.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
I got $6 Tim Anderson for my $7 Max Kepler. I was going to cut Kepler, so at least I got something for him. I needed some steals (roto league).

I now have three shortstops for three spots, but at the moment, Anderson isn't starting for me (again, at least I got something for Kepler, who I planned on cutting). Should I try to move either $32 Correa or $27 Seager? No, right? I should find a way around it? I have $7 Morales in my utility spot at the moment. He is first base eligible for this league.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
Ohtani is being split into two players for Yahoo... so dumb. I'm going to have to make a new rule for my dynasty league because of this. Yuck.

For my dynasty league, we draft prospects every year. If someone drafts one Ohtani, should he get the other one too?

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I got $6 Tim Anderson for my $7 Max Kepler. I was going to cut Kepler, so at least I got something for him. I needed some steals (roto league).

I now have three shortstops for three spots, but at the moment, Anderson isn't starting for me (again, at least I got something for Kepler, who I planned on cutting). Should I try to move either $32 Correa or $27 Seager? No, right? I should find a way around it? I have $7 Morales in my utility spot at the moment. He is first base eligible for this league.

Depends what you can get for them. You'd be moving one of the top 3 SS in the game and we all know how hard it can be to get one of quality.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Ohtani is being split into two players for Yahoo... so dumb. I'm going to have to make a new rule for my dynasty league because of this. Yuck.

For my dynasty league, we draft prospects every year. If someone drafts one Ohtani, should he get the other one too?

He/she shouldn't. If a positional player throws an inning in 16-1 game it doesn't count towards your pitching stats. There should be Ohtani the pitcher and Ohtani the hitter.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Wrong thread but how f***ing good is Tootoo's team in Clowe Me's hockey league? My team is playing really well and in 2nd place but there's daylight between us.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I fell off the map with the site transition, but I'm back for some offseason advice. BTW, is there a keeper or one-year league for this thread/board? I imagine that it may already be filled, but if not, I may be interested in participating this year if there's a spot available.

I am facing a decision about which final two spots to use for keepers, if at all -- my league is somewhat unusual, with the stats being basically slanted towards WAR in real life, but not totally: so for pitchers, Wins are meaningless, Ks extremely important, HRs pretty bad (but over-comeable with good Ks), while for batters, RBIs and Runs don't count. It's a H2H points league, so no specific stat is make or break, and the idea is to try and generally tilt towards a sabre-friendly view of the sport.

We run a fairly big roster, with all the specific fielding positions (including dedicated LF, RF, and CF), two Utils, and 5 SPs and 5 RPs, with 5 bench spots that are often occupied by 4 or 5 SPs, so pitching is usually at a premium (we have everyday lineup changes, so you can get a ton of starts per week if you stack your roster and stream spots etc).

Teams are ranging from 245 to 300 in re-draft cash. I have 280, and several teams are right around me. I'm pretty set with 8 keepers: Goldy (32), Marte (11), C. Seager (7), Benintendi (6), Hoskins (7), Taillon (5), Keuchel (11), Carrasco (16). Here are my remaining options:

Polanco (7)
Cobb (11)
T. Williams (3)
Faria (5)
Nelson (4)
Rivero (2)

Obviously, it's plain as day that I'm a Pirates fan. I am pretty sure there's no reason to gamble on Polanco at that price -- the one thing that's still making me consider him beyond homerism is that he's a RF, and I have none, and they tend to be harder to come by for some reason.

I think it makes sense to take two of the pitchers, and have an even balance of 5 position and 5 pitchers as my starting point for the re-draft. I like Cobb, but I think 11 may be a bit too steep for him; it would help to know where he's going to sign.

Faria is probably the best out of the group, and right now, I am actually leaning towards Faria and Rivero. My reasoning is that RPs tend to get overpaid and recycled every year in the draft, and given my other options, nothing else is jumping out at me. Rivero probably gets 18-25 in the draft, maybe a hair less, so it's a pretty substantial bargain and I have to fill those spots anyways.

Nelson seems like a great stash, but he can probably be had for around the same in the draft, or on the waiver wire. T. Williams is an extremely underrated pitcher IMO, but I don't think he's got the upside to be a sure-fire keeper. There is also the option of just keeping one player, but given that they're useful in some capacity, I'd rather just spend a little less now since the average salary comes out to around 13.

So I guess my best options are really Cobb, Faria, and Rivero? Sorry for the long post- wrote it partly to process myself, but wanted to give a sense for my situation, and we're in the dead zone of an ice cold hot stove anyways...

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Ah, should have mentioned that - still have quite a long time. March 18th. A guy was offering up a bunch of solid/ok-ish talent this morning for $5 each in draft cash, but nothing stood out to me, and then I got inspired to take a close look at my roster.

I suppose by then it will be a little easier to make a call on Nelson. I may be overvaluing Faria because of how clutch he was for me at certain moments last year -- I'd guess he might get a decent raise over that in the draft, but he hasn't proven all that much. Glad my instinct with Rivero may not be too far off. I also suppose that I can see where Cobb lands- in a pitcher's park, it might just be worth holding onto him for average dollars.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Yeah, I should have mentioned - we do get points for saves. Last year, having a good stable of RPs was actually more helpful than usual because so many starters gave up a billion HRs. My typical strategy is to try and grab at least two solid closers, and then be more economical in trying to get good set-up guys and people who claim either a set-up or closer role in season (we get some points for holds too).

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
The other option I forgot to mention is Merrifield at $2. Price is right, but not sure it's a good gamble or not because middle infielders tend to be flaky unless they are elite in my experience, and finding ok value on the waiver wire is never too big of a problem. On the other hand, I am a believer in Merrifield in the short term, and if I kept him and Rivero at the minimum, it would free up a good amount of dollars to go hunting in the draft with.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Hm, I hadn't even kept up on winter ball, and I was initially skeptical of the idea, but it might not be so bad of an approach. Marte is a bit streaky for my taste - when he's really locked in, he's an incredibly dynamic player, but with a whole year off, it makes sense that he might have some trouble immediately getting right back into the mix.

I initially thought I might just keep Rivero and Nelson/Merrifield (leaning towards Merrifield there, for bargain and position-certainty), but I could also toss Marte back and keep all three, or one of the others I listed.

I also have the option of Braun at 14, and while that's potentially a good bargain, there's always the health concern with him. Plus, the other thing is that tons of my roster are LFs: Hoskins, Benintendi, Marte, then potentially Braun. Benintendi and Marte have CF eligibility, but maybe letting Marte go to the draft allows me to free myself up for the draft, since the positions I'll have to fill are 3B, RF, and then two Util spots that could be whatever best bargains I can work.

I think there's enough OFs around that Marte might not even go for too much more than that in the draft, and I don't regard him as an absolute must-keep, so it's an intriguing idea for me.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
The keeper deadline for my auction dynasty is coming up on the 31st. Here's what I have:

C- Castillo (5)
C- empty
1B- Mancini (7)
2B- Kinsler (19)
3B- Rendon (24)
SS- Correa (32)
MI- C. Seager (27)
OF- Hoskins (6)
OF- Trout (61)
OF- Harper (43)
OF- Springer (27)
OF- A. Garcia (5)
Util- T. Anderson (6)

SP- Bumgarner (32)
SP- deGrom (25)
SP- Stroman (17)
SP- Richards (11)
SP. E. Santana (6)
RP- empty x5

BN- I. Happ (4)
BN- Morales (7)
BN- E. Jimenez (5)
BN- Taveras (3)
BN- K. Lewis (2)
BN- C. Ray (2)
BN- J. Happ (6)
BN- empty x16

Plan on cutting:

D. Norris (3)
Tellez (2)
Valencia (8)
Barreto (4)
C. Frazier (4)
Naquin (3)
Markakis (3)
Romo (3)
Jeffress (3)
O'Day (3)

At the moment, I have $18 for 16 spots, which will leave me zero flexibility at the auction. Is there anyone else that sticks out that I should trade/cut?

Ad

Ad

Ad

-->