Fantasy Baseball Thread V

darko

Feb 16, 2009
3 leagues. Just won 1. Currently in the final in another 1. Rebuilding in the 3rd one.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
10 team re-draft: won 3rd place game
12 team keep 6: won
16 team dynasty: 11th (rebuilding)
12 team dynasty: lost in final
12 team dynasty: won 3rd place game
12 team dynasty: lost 3rd place game
12 team dynasty: lost in final
10 team dynasty: lost in final
10 team re-draft: lost in final
12 team dynasty: lost in semis (no consolation games)

10 leagues, made playoffs in 9, 1 win... ugh.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Not sure if anyone checks this in the offseason, but I just received this offer: his Andujar ($2) for my Taillon ($8). My inclination is to reject it because pitchers are harder to come by in my league than position players, but Andujar at $2 is tempting. 3B is also not the deepest position in my league, and with me needing to decide whether to pay $37 for Goldy or put him back in the draft, every bit of draft savings I can muster is probably smart.

It's not bad value just straight up I think, and NYY maybe shopping Andujar worries me slightly, since his value will dip if he's not getting the same number of HRs. I might just wait it out and see if anything happens with Machado in the next couple of days.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
Not sure if anyone checks this in the offseason, but I just received this offer: his Andujar ($2) for my Taillon ($8). My inclination is to reject it because pitchers are harder to come by in my league than position players, but Andujar at $2 is tempting. 3B is also not the deepest position in my league, and with me needing to decide whether to pay $37 for Goldy or put him back in the draft, every bit of draft savings I can muster is probably smart.

It's not bad value just straight up I think, and NYY maybe shopping Andujar worries me slightly, since his value will dip if he's not getting the same number of HRs. I might just wait it out and see if anything happens with Machado in the next couple of days.

Tough one. It definitely is fair value. Who else are you keeping or thinking about keeping?

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Tough one. It definitely is fair value. Who else are you keeping or thinking about keeping?

Well, it's sort of a mess. Let me preface this by saying that I am anticipating that this draft will feature a number of very good players, as this is probably the 5th or 6th year of the league, and we use an increasing salary system, so many stars already have astronomical prices, and I think we're at a tipping point. Basically it works such that the player's salary increases by the number of years you've had him, so for example I've had Goldschmidt 5 years, last year he was 32, this year he'll be 37, and next year he'll be 43.

For comparison's sake, Trout will be 69 next year... so I anticipate he's going back in the draft. Long story, but we had a small money hoarding problem which we slowly put a stop to two years ago, and this shapes up to be the year that I think will be a tipping point. Goldschmidt at 37 is probably a touch on the premium, but my gut is that he won't go for any cheaper than that in the draft, and since I have some good savings elsewhere, I lean towards keeping him. Here's the rest of the likely keepers with some other possibilities below:

Goldy 37
Taillon 8
Benintendi 9
Hoskins 10 [Not yet 1B eligible for some reason, though that will quickly change]
Buehler 2
Carrasco 21
Bieber 2

I think I'm firm on those 7, after which I have some decisions, but I'm thinking:

Clevinger 11
Morton 6
Adames 2

The other guys who could be in the mix:

Acuna 24
Castellanos 18 [RF eligible only, he was my 3B last year]
Rivero 5 [Almost definitely not, decent value price but no point in keeping RPs]
Boegarts 22

The decisions with Boegarts/Adames and Acuna are tough. Acuna's price is just a touch too high I think, but maybe not...if he's a top 10 OF, then that is a good deal, but if he's a top 30 OF, then I should be able to get a much better value in the draft. Boegarts is probably worth 22, and keeping Adames over him could be foolish, but I'd rather take the savings. Castellanos has good value and RF is a difficult position to find someone for, but I'll work that out at the draft.

So I guess if I flipped Taillon, I'd have $6 of savings, and could basically make a decision about keeping Goldy vs keeping both Boegarts and Acuna. A lot to think about, since Goldy can be MVP level, but I like that option more now that I've typed this all out. It would also even up my pitcher/batter keepers at 5/5 -- I wasn't really thinking I'd keep Morton, but at that price in a league where we have to staff too many pitchers, it's difficult to pass up.

I'm leaning more towards taking it, but still unsure about his playing time... as a side note, the guy trying to trade me has Bregman, Gregorius, Baez, and Andujar, so his 3B/Util (2 spots) are pretty clogged up, though Baez is also 2B eligible of course. He's got a ton of good offensive players and his only good pitcher is Cole. I might try and counter to see if he'd give up Bregman ($7). It's a reach, but he's been after Taillon forever, and I think Taillon is still moving towards his ceiling, including in things that show up more in fantasy like Ks.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
Well, it's sort of a mess. Let me preface this by saying that I am anticipating that this draft will feature a number of very good players, as this is probably the 5th or 6th year of the league, and we use an increasing salary system, so many stars already have astronomical prices, and I think we're at a tipping point. Basically it works such that the player's salary increases by the number of years you've had him, so for example I've had Goldschmidt 5 years, last year he was 32, this year he'll be 37, and next year he'll be 43.

For comparison's sake, Trout will be 69 next year... so I anticipate he's going back in the draft. Long story, but we had a small money hoarding problem which we slowly put a stop to two years ago, and this shapes up to be the year that I think will be a tipping point. Goldschmidt at 37 is probably a touch on the premium, but my gut is that he won't go for any cheaper than that in the draft, and since I have some good savings elsewhere, I lean towards keeping him. Here's the rest of the likely keepers with some other possibilities below:

Goldy 37
Taillon 8
Benintendi 9
Hoskins 10 [Not yet 1B eligible for some reason, though that will quickly change]
Buehler 2
Carrasco 21
Bieber 2

I think I'm firm on those 7, after which I have some decisions, but I'm thinking:

Clevinger 11
Morton 6
Adames 2

The other guys who could be in the mix:

Acuna 24
Castellanos 18 [RF eligible only, he was my 3B last year]
Rivero 5 [Almost definitely not, decent value price but no point in keeping RPs]
Boegarts 22

The decisions with Boegarts/Adames and Acuna are tough. Acuna's price is just a touch too high I think, but maybe not...if he's a top 10 OF, then that is a good deal, but if he's a top 30 OF, then I should be able to get a much better value in the draft. Boegarts is probably worth 22, and keeping Adames over him could be foolish, but I'd rather take the savings. Castellanos has good value and RF is a difficult position to find someone for, but I'll work that out at the draft.

So I guess if I flipped Taillon, I'd have $6 of savings, and could basically make a decision about keeping Goldy vs keeping both Boegarts and Acuna. A lot to think about, since Goldy can be MVP level, but I like that option more now that I've typed this all out. It would also even up my pitcher/batter keepers at 5/5 -- I wasn't really thinking I'd keep Morton, but at that price in a league where we have to staff too many pitchers, it's difficult to pass up.

I'm leaning more towards taking it, but still unsure about his playing time... as a side note, the guy trying to trade me has Bregman, Gregorius, Baez, and Andujar, so his 3B/Util (2 spots) are pretty clogged up, though Baez is also 2B eligible of course. He's got a ton of good offensive players and his only good pitcher is Cole. I might try and counter to see if he'd give up Bregman ($7). It's a reach, but he's been after Taillon forever, and I think Taillon is still moving towards his ceiling, including in things that show up more in fantasy like Ks.

A $7 Bregman is untouchable in my opinion.

I would definitely keep Acuna.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Thanks, maybe I am losing perspective on Acuna. And that's probably right re: Bregman.

I'm still not quite sure what I'll do with the Andujar trade. It's solid value and shaves off just a bit of my keeper commitments, but since this league tends to place a lot of premium on good pitching, I think I'll just stick with Taillon and hope I'm right that he'll take even another step forward in 2019. It's highly unlikely that I'll be able to replace his production in the draft, whereas I should be able to land a decent 3B.

Right now I am leaning towards just keeping the first 8 I listed plus X and Acuna instead of Adames and Morton. Both are good value, especially Morton, but X is projected as the third best SS and has good value, and Acuna should at the very least be an ok price. I could counter the trade and offer Carrasco for Andujar - gives him a good pitcher of solid value, while also being of some more benefit in terms of cutting keeper commitments. Taillon's still so reasonably priced that the upside doesn't seem worth it.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
I have Kluber and Verlander as keepers in my AL-only auction league. They both have a few dollars in value. I have almost no hitters that are keepers. I've been offered Correa for Kluber straight up. Good deal or should I hang on to Kluber and just prioritize offense in the draft?

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I have Kluber and Verlander as keepers in my AL-only auction league. They both have a few dollars in value. I have almost no hitters that are keepers. I've been offered Correa for Kluber straight up. Good deal or should I hang on to Kluber and just prioritize offense in the draft?

I suppose in the end it depends on your league settings and your roster priorities. I would do it but I value hitters higher than pitchers in fantasy.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Keep 3 from this list in a modified keeper/dynasty league.

Juan Soto
Trevor Story
Gleyber Torres
Gerritt Cole

Also, was Patrick Corbin's last season the real him going forward? Would you consider trading Cole for a high draft pick and keeping Corbin instead? My inclination is no.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad