Fantasy Baseball Thread IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Odorizzi is available in my league and looks like he has a two start week next week, but it's vs. Boston and New York. He seems like a slightly risky play, since his season hasn't been outstanding from what I gather, and neither matchup is comforting, but is he worth rolling the dice on? His last start looks like it was very solid, and in any case I will still have the flexibility to bench him if he's unnecessary.

I'm leaning towards going for it with my waiver claim tomorrow morning. I can cut Crawford loose, and I have a fairly strong chance to win this week, so I don't need to make any safety moves for the weekend (and if I did, I will aggressively do so on Saturday, our final day for waiver processing).

Edit: the other play I am thinking about is Amir Garrett, who is much riskier because of how disastrous he was, but has incredible stuff and ended his AAA run on a good note. He will take over Castillo's spot in the Reds rotation, who pitches tonight, which means he should have two starts next week, against the Cardinals and the Pirates, unless the Reds go to a six man rotation (they are off Monday, so only six games next week).

Actually, I just checked the game log, and his last stretch was only so-so in AAA. Finished with a 7 IP, 10 K start, but some middling starts and control problems seem to be lingering. He is more of a risk than I thought, but I still might gamble on it.

Last edited by a moderator:

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
The basic thing for me is that I might as well use an extra bench spot on a pitcher, since continuing to use Crawford is a moot point now that Seager seems poised to return (he pinch hit last night). I could probably use a different bench player to throw in the mix, but I don't really want to make those decisions, and nobody is jumping out as on a hot streak worth trying to ride over one of my regulars.

If I win this week, I have to face a murderer's row of pitching next week: Sale, Sherzer, Severino, Darvish, Nelson, Leake. Luckily nobody has two starts, and if healthy my lineup is somewhat better, but I'm pretty nervous about being able to pull it off, and I think I'll need some luck with a two start pitcher throwing two solid-to-gem starts.

I still don't love either - Garrett is a huge gamble. Flashes of real brilliance, but I'm just not seeing it as a blind playoff move. Odorizzi is pretty dependable and probably would garner some solid points, so he's a safe bet, but I really don't see a big ceiling with the two opponents. I'm now leaning towards Brandon Woodruff, who I think could be in line for two starts, since he last pitched four days ago, but seemingly got skipped today for Garza, who was trounced by the Reds. Maybe the Brewers will protect his innings, but as I know all too well, he will dominate if he faces the Pirates early next week, and then maybe they'll spin him back out there later in the week.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
I think Seager will see a few more days off than usual since the Dodgers have such a huge lead. I'd keep Crawford around.

@Darko: Not looking good for you so far in Tootoo Train's league...

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Carrasco :handclap:

Whit Merrified with 3 doubles tonight too. I'm looking good for the first round. My opponent only has three pitcher starts left, and for some reason hasn't even replaced Beltre, even though he has IR spots and is seemingly active because his pitcher starts are being utilized.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
I've been struggling all year in this one other league. Bouncing between 5th and 9th. 1st round of the playoffs, 45 IP registered to go along with a 0.59 era and 1.01 whip.

1318.gif

Somehow those pitchers only gave me a pitching record of 1-1. No decisions like crazy.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I picked up both Woodruff and Garrett in my league. I have a comfortable enough lead that I can drop Crawford, although I'm in real trouble if Seager isn't playing regularly by Monday.

I also dropped Jack Flaherty, who might be a really good real life prospect, but from what I can tell, his is at his innings limit and seems pretty taxed, so the immediate upside is very little. Garrett is a huge gamble, and I'm disappointed that it doesn't look like he'll be a two-start pitcher, but it seems like I might be able to at least count on him to run through the Pirates next week.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Polanco is back and I am forced with a pretty tough decision. I can't really hang onto an extra batter, and my only droppable player is Melky Cabrera, who is probably a better play than Polanco in the more immediate future, including (crucially), playing every day, when who knows what the Pirates are going to do with Polanco, because I'm sure they won't want to risk a big injury.

Do I risk dropping Polanco in a keeper league? I am leaning heavily towards keeping him, but am not absolutely decided. Or do I drop Cabrera and cross my fingers? It's not like he's that big of an impact replacement (even though he's been great with the Royals).

Edit: I suppose my other option would be dropping Betances, or perhaps Rivero, because I have a SPARP that I can just put in one of their spots.

I'm going to drop Amir Garrett for sure - after 3 HRs tonight, he is a card I won't want to play. Too much risk (I sat him tonight). I am trying to add Ryu, though, who has a great matchup on Monday with the Giants. So I will still need to cut somebody else with Polanco returning. Either Polanco, Betances, Rivero, or Cabrera. Betances is normally too good, but it would be a calculated move that he won't be too useful over the next two weeks. The same could go for Rivero, though I am actually giving some thought to keeping him, since he'll be $2 next year. Cabrera is partially where I am leaning, but I honestly can't get myself to believe that Polanco will be much of a positive performer in the next two weeks.

Last edited by a moderator:

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Scratch my plea for advice -- I failed to get Ryu, and so I can just drop Garrett for the time being and have Polanco on the bench.

I'm in real trouble for this week now. Only have a thirty point lead, and my opponent has managed to add starters to give himself a shot. It's my Morton, Keuchel, and Cobb to his Hill, Dickey, Perdomo, Carson Fulmer, and Albers. I still feel ok about it, but I had more starts that dissipated, and I've been pretty cavalier looking to next week while half of my batters are injured in one way or another (Goldy, Seager, Moustakas briefly). I think I'll take it as long as none of my pitchers ***** the bed. It seems like a reasonable chance that one or more of his starters will get completely neutralized or score negative points, but if they all put up mediocre starts and aren't hit with HRs, there's a decent chance I'll lose.

Virtanen18

SAMCRO
Jan 25, 2014
Vancouver
I did not think I would be benching Bogaerts for Gurriel ever, but here we are. Don't think Xander's ever recovered from that hand injury.

Reynaldo Lopez is 2 of my 6 starts in the semis. Carrasco has 2 as well though :)

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
How are people feeling about Carlos Gonzalez to finish the season? Seems to be getting into a groove and was on the wire so I dropped Bellinger for him (redraft league, h2h, playoffs).

Also should I drop Wellington Castillo for Chirinos or maybe Iannetta?

Here's the team I'm trying to ride to the title:

C - Wellington Castillo
1B - Joey Votto
2B - Brian Dozier
3B - Jake Lamb
SS - Francisco Lindor
OF - JD Martinez
OF - Whit Merrifield
OF - Carlos Gonzalez
Util - DJ LeMahieu
Util - Rhys Hoskins
BN - Alex Bregman

SP - Dillon Peters
SP - Kyle Gibson
RP - Sean Doolittle
RP - Arodys Vizcaino
P - Brad Hand
P - Wade Davis
P - Blake Parker
P - Jose Berrios
P - Trevor Bauer
P - Kevin Gausman
BN - Yu Darvish
BN - Aaron Nola
DL - Noah Syndergaard

Have been streaming pitchers in the playoffs so far (6 moves per week allowed). So any tips on pitchers that are low ownership % with good match-ups or 2 week stuff would be nice. Strongly considering picking up Richards.

Virtanen18

SAMCRO
Jan 25, 2014
Vancouver
I don't feel anything for Carlos Gonzalez. He's been better lately, but it's still been a humongously disappointing season. Dude's power is just gone.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I lost late week in the final hour, and it's a bitter pill to swallow because I think I could have really surged to the title with Hoskins in tow. Oh well - I doubt he'll be quite this good next year, but I think he's still a no brainer keeper for me at $7.

I basically lost because Keuchel put up a very subpar start on Sunday. I can keep him for pretty cheap next year, but he was not the greatest target for my league, since he doesn't have huge K numbers to always bail him out. I got insanely spoiled with Kershaw for several seasons... hoping that he'll be too expensive next year to be kept, so I can take a chance at redrafting him.

Good luck to everyone on the end of their seasons. I'd love to hop in a board league next year, and I'm also kind of itching to do a full-on auction draft keeper starting new next year, for money or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->