Boston Globe Fans Wearing Jerseys

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Bruins fans’ loyalty is as clear as the shirts on their backs - The Boston Globe

While he sat recently with a healing fractured foot in a nosebleed seat on the ninth floor of TD Garden, Patrice Bergeron surveyed the 17,565 fans below him. Many were wearing his familiar Bruins No. 37 jersey, with his name on their back.

It was actually something new to Bergeron, who is usually thinking about the action on the ice and not checking the backs of jerseys in the stands.

“I guess you don’t necessarily see it until you’re out of the game and up here,’’ he said. “You see it, and you notice it a little more.”

“It’s pretty cool to see that they appreciate that we try to put everything out there on the ice,” said the point-per-game Bruins center.

“It’s been a weird feeling, but it’s a lot of fun seeing it,” said Marchand, who grew up in Nova Scotia. “It’s pretty cool. It’s great to see the support.”

Reactions: sooshii

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
Basketball is, for me, the only major sport that is a little weird to wear the jersey to the game. Normal tank tops can be hard to pull off outside of the beach, gym, etc. NBA jerseys are just......awkward. They look weird with tshirts on underneath and even weirder without anything on underneath.

Love wearing my hockey jerseys to games or just lounging around the house Clark Griswold-style. Used to be the same with NFL jerseys, but some of the teams have changed their jerseys in recent years and the fit is just awkward for me at least.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
I like wearing jerseys to a game, period. Hockey jerseys are pretty cool out during the winter when I see them.

What I can't stand is when I go to a Devils Bruins game and I see someone wearing a Red Wings or Penguins sweater. If you're not playing and it's not an all star game, don't wear it.

1 caveat to the "random team jersey" point...if its the jersey of a historically great player, then go for it.

Like a Detroit Howe jersey or Pens Lemieux jersey in your scenario above is a-ok to me.

Reactions: Orr Fourever

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
I like wearing jerseys to a game, period. Hockey jerseys are pretty cool out during the winter when I see them.

What I can't stand is when I go to a Devils Bruins game and I see someone wearing a Red Wings or Penguins sweater. If you're not playing and it's not an all star game, don't wear it.

I disagree. A lot of fans go on road trips and watch random games not involving their team. I think it’s fine to be a hockey fan not just a local fan.

I also used to collect minor league jerseys and occasionally wear them to PBruins games and have struck up great conversations with fans who were from other parts of the country and were shocked to see someone wearing their hometown team’s sweater. Of course I made sure I was aware of that club’s history so I could say more than “yeah it’s just a cool looking sweater”.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
I finally retired the Kelly jersey.

I wear my Bergy 2016 Winter Classic more than my Backes home jersey mostly because I bought it bigger to fit more layers and I like the neckline.

I'd love to get an Adidas one but I don't know who to get.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
If I was independently wealthy I would buy the jersey of every guy on the team this year.

Even Gionta :laugh:

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
I finally retired the Kelly jersey.

I wear my Bergy 2016 Winter Classic more than my Backes home jersey mostly because I bought it bigger to fit more layers and I like the neckline.

I'd love to get an Adidas one but I don't know who to get.
Riley Nash. Poor guy. :laugh:

I think Ladyfan ought to take a sign that says HFBoard Bruins fans :heart: Riley Nash

Reactions: Alicat

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Still my favorite to wear:

Disney-GrumpyMinersBack.jpg

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
I went to a Preds Flyers game a couple years ago. I really wanted to wear my Bergeron jersey, because typically the only place I wear it in public is to hockey games, and the Bruins only come to Nashville once a year. But I couldn't do it. Instead I pulled out my old John LeClair Flyers jersey. If I had a Preds jersey I would have worn that, though.

I did wear the Bergy jersey to the All Star fan fest in 2016. Saw a guy with a Marchand jersey, told him I liked it. His initial reaction was shock. :laugh:

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH

Ha, yea I never understood that either..

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Ha, yea I never understood that either..

Case in point...I'm at the Islanders and Devils game on the 31st of March. Who sits five rows up behind me? Some d bag with a Voracek Flyers jersey. Was a stupid and unnecessary distraction for me. Also, why do I always sit in the same row as the family of six that have four kids aged 4-7?

I agree with the other poster with the junior or minor league team, but if they like play for the teams you're seeing. All pet peeves I know. I have a million of them.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
I have a Thomas Jersey-I only wear it to hockey games or sometimes to work (at a school) when they have a “show your team spirit” kind of day.

My daughter loved Campbell during the cup year and got a Campbell jersey that she later got signed. She wears it to games.

If the winter classic jersey is good I may get one but I don’t know who either-Bergy or maybe a McAvoy.

I wish I had gotten a Recchi jersey in hindsight. We are the same age and I loved his role in the cup run.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad