News Article: Fans help Del Zotto reunite with young friend

Punxrocknyc19*

this is a great story and it needs his own thread...

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=708432&navid=nhl:topheads

"He wasn't too happy that's for sure," Del Zotto said. "But I tried to explain to him it is part of the business and stuff like this happens. So he understands better now. I also told him that no matter where I am, we'll always be best buddies. So that eased the moment, I think, but it's safe to say he wasn't too pleased."

The bond they have formed is so strong that when Rangers fans found out Del Zotto was traded they flooded Liam's Twitter account, saying they were thinking of him and encouraging him to "hang in there."

One Rangers fan took his compassion a step further and launched a website called "Get Liam To Nashville" (http://liam.myevent.com/) in an effort to reunite him and Del Zotto at a Predators game; the Rangers don't play the Predators in New York again this season.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site

"He wasn't too happy that's for sure," Del Zotto said. "But I tried to explain to him it is part of the business and stuff like this happens. So he understands better now. I also told him that no matter where I am, we'll always be best buddies. So that eased the moment, I think, but it's safe to say he wasn't too pleased."

The bond they have formed is so strong that when Rangers fans found out Del Zotto was traded they flooded Liam's Twitter account, saying they were thinking of him and encouraging him to "hang in there."

One Rangers fan took his compassion a step further and launched a website called "Get Liam To Nashville" (http://liam.myevent.com/) in an effort to reunite him and Del Zotto at a Predators game; the Rangers don't play the Predators in New York again this season.

Great thing the Rangers fans did for Liam. I never understood the vitriol in which this board displayed towards DZ. He was and is a quality guy.

For some reason the teenagers here and those that have yet to mature always portrayed him as this party boy that was unfocused on hockey.

It just goes to show you how well the Garden of Dreams and the Rangers organization treat kids and those in need. They always have done a great job of raising quality citizens who help the community, and much of that goes unnoticed. There is also Hockey in Harlem which makes a tremendous difference for local kids who have been overlooked all their lives.

So hearing that fans chipped in to make this happen is a great thing. I hope someday members on this board display the sort of maturity in the future as they grow up.

Punxrocknyc19*

Great thing the Rangers fans did for Liam. I never understood the vitriol in which this board displayed towards DZ. He was and is a quality guy.

For some reason the teenagers here and those that have yet to mature always portrayed him as this party boy that was unfocused on hockey.

It just goes to show you how well the Garden of Dreams and the Rangers organization treat kids and those in need. They always have done a great job of raising quality citizens who help the community, and much of that goes unnoticed. There is also Hockey in Harlem which makes a tremendous difference for local kids who have been overlooked all their lives.

So hearing that fans chipped in to make this happen is a great thing. I hope someday members on this board display the sort of maturity in the future as they grow up.

i didnt have a problem with Del Zotto as a person since i dont know him as a person.. im just glad that that he found a home on the Preds and hopefully it works out for him on that team.

SixGoalieSystem

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2011
Trondheim

You do understand that this board has come together to support good causes more than once right?

I can mention a couple of examples:
- The Garden of Dreams
- Get well Mike Sauer
- Donations (via a wedding shower registry) for the NYR fan, police officer and ex marine who was beat up by Philly fans.

Yeah, guys voice their frustration with players, but mostly it's a good bunch of people. In all ages.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
You do understand that this board has come together to support good causes more than once right?

- The Garden of Dreams
- Get well Mike Sauer
- Donations (via a wedding shower registry) for the NYR fan, police officer and ex marine who was beat up by Philly fans.

Yeah, guys voice their frustration with players, but mostly it's a good bunch of people. In all ages.

Hey that's awesome, never knew about that. Mostly read nothing but complaints on the board, and saw years of Avery worshiping on here lol.

But that is excellent. Good to see, especially taking care of those that protect and serve.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown

- The Garden of Dreams
- Get well Mike Sauer

The police donations thing was amazing. His wife wrote the nicest thank you card, too.

SixGoalieSystem

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2011
Trondheim
The police donations thing was amazing. His wife wrote the nicest thank you card, too.

Yeah, I got one too and it was very personal and moving.

We really should get a Garden of Dreams pledge drive going, though. There are more kids like Liam out there.

North Star

Mar 9, 2011

Love Del Z. Great guy, great story.

Miss Zucc and Del Z joking around after games. Hope he comes back to us, somehow. (after he becomes a better player)

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

It wasn't vitriol. He wasn't improving and he was a weak link on our D and he was heading for a potential arbitration in the off season and he was already getting more cap $'s than he was worth. That doesn't mean DZ was a bad guy. The same business just went on with Callahan. He wanted a lot more cap $'s than he was worth--so he got moved.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
I was a fan of MDZ and still hope that he does well in Nashville (obviously not at the Rangers' expense) but he was a victim of circumstance and misuse. I think he was a lot better than people give credit for and from everything I've ever heard about the guy from people who have met him, he's a really cool and nice guy. I've heard bad things about some others on the team (won't name any names), but MDZ was not one of those guys and is one of the good guys off the ice.

Never understood the vitriol and hate towards Avery either. Loved being here, loved the fans, played his heart out for us and was basically castrated by Tortarella, which ruined his career.

If anything the hatred should go towards Torts, who ruined his career and drove him and Gaborik out of NY.

RomanEmpire

Feb 26, 2013
Nashville, TN
Just wanted to say hats off to any of you guys that may have helped set this up. Absolutely awesome stuff to see. Very classy on y'alls part.

Wamsutta

I'm Glen Sather IRL
Nov 8, 2011
Connecticut
This is incredible and makes me very proud to be a Ranger fan. I wish I had known about this, I would have donated in a heartbeat. Liam and his bond with Torts will always be the most memorable part of 24/7 for me, and I remember getting genuinely excited to see Liam at that dog walk event back I'm 2012. I'm glad Liam was able to go see MDZ. What a feel good story. :)

frozenrubber

Sponsor
Nov 27, 2005
Brooklyn
The curse of Liam continues...

BeXI7deIcAA9DRJ.jpg:large

BenOanGIgAA2Ucr.jpg:large

Maybe the next one out of town?

BXdVk0MIMAAkqzs.jpg

Punxrocknyc19*

I was a fan of MDZ and still hope that he does well in Nashville (obviously not at the Rangers' expense) but he was a victim of circumstance and misuse. I think he was a lot better than people give credit for and from everything I've ever heard about the guy from people who have met him, he's a really cool and nice guy. I've heard bad things about some others on the team (won't name any names), but MDZ was not one of those guys and is one of the good guys off the ice.

Never understood the vitriol and hate towards Avery either. Loved being here, loved the fans, played his heart out for us and was basically castrated by Tortarella, which ruined his career.

If anything the hatred should go towards Torts, who ruined his career and drove him and Gaborik out of NY.

i agree. i hope Del Zotto does well.. he still has skill and in the right situation he will be a solid player.. he just was not a good fit the past few years.. it happens.. Klein has been solid for us.. its a win for both teams..

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012

I don't know why he's been portrayed like that. He handled his situation in NY with class, and was never a problem for the rangers under the spotlight. His play, and only his play, was the reason he did not remain here, but you cannot **** on the guy for anything beyond that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad