News Article: Fans elect John Scott as division captain for 2016 All-Star Game

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Thank you. Glad I can bring an occasional smile. I try to lighten the mood since it is just a game. You must like Dad jokes from a 53 year old.

I have a similar sense of humor, so it makes sense.
So i guess with everyone saying, "Oh this is the best possible outcome for everyone happened, NHL looks good with the 3v3 format and with giving him the MVP, and Scott played great and it's an amazing moment for him", obviously that's totally true, but isnnt it the best possible outcome for everyone EXCEPT the Coyotes who kind of ended up getting boned (for lack of a better phrase lol)? i can tell you that people are freaking out about it on reddit, it's on the top 5 posts of r/all, r/hockey is going crazy, etc, people are saying "wow this is my first time watching hockey and i loved it, which team should i follow"? that's a niche example, i know, but the coyotes could have been gaining buzz and fans with John Scott not traded.

Exactly this. We deserved it this time though.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
What a great night for Scott, that was awesome. Just the type of thing that overall makes you smile when it comes to him. i dont know how anyone could have not enjoyed the game tonight, the on-ice product was exciting and the goalies were great, and a fantastic moment for the sport

What i'm wondering is if you guys think the coyotes missed a massive good PR opportunity here, instead of embracing it and just ****ing going with it and supporting their guy and making it kind of funny too playing off of his personality..... they seemed to shy away from the limelight so to speak and then he was traded. Not to mention the whole shady situation of trading scott in the first place, i suppose all of the details are not there yet, people are saying the NHL told them to do it yadda yadda, I really just look at the fact that he was waived and then no one wanted him and suddenly he has trade value... hmmmm... something isnt right here. The coyotes twitter account going dark tonight on Scott is further evidence that they are not handling it well and not really going with the more modern marketing technique of spinning a current event to their advantage with witty social media (look at Columbus's social media account for some funny/good stuff, like a tweet @ ESPN, i can link it in another post but i'm lazy)

To me this is an example of being handed a silver platter to get good PR and marketing buzz around the yotes but completely botching it. not sure if it's fair or not, just a thought that came in to my mind while watching John the entire night and thinking, man, there should be a Coyotes logo on his sweater.

I would think the NHL decided what sweater Scott had to wear. Not sure what you mean by handed a silver platter as Scott is no longer Coyote property.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
Not sure what you mean by handed a silver platter as Scott is no longer Coyote property.

I think the point is that by moving Scott, we missed out on free PR, but honestly, that would only be for the Skills competition (where players wore team jerseys). All of the images being posted are from the game (not team jerseys).

Of course I agree with a previous poster in terms of how we would have benefited post ASG. I guess commentary with images of him in the press box wouldn't benefit us too much.

strizzy16

Welcome to Life, 2.0
Mar 6, 2012
somewhere south
I would think the NHL decided what sweater Scott had to wear. Not sure what you mean by handed a silver platter as Scott is no longer Coyote property.

right, I'm more just saying that in the scenario that Scott WAS our lone all star representative, with a yotes jersey on on saturday and the coyotes logo on his all-star sweater on sunday, there still would have been some positive buzz around the Coyotes especially among more casual/younger NHL fans. instead, all of the good vibes surrounding Scott were not associated with the Coyotes, in fact we look kind of stupid/worse in the end. That's all.

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004
Next stop for Scott: to be called up by the Canadiens and spark something there as there has not been any pulse in that team for many weeks now.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Thank goodness this over....unless Scott is recalled in time for the Coyote game on Feb 15....then the circus returns for a night.

zz

Nov 1, 2006
right, I'm more just saying that in the scenario that Scott WAS our lone all star representative, with a yotes jersey on on saturday and the coyotes logo on his all-star sweater on sunday, there still would have been some positive buzz around the Coyotes especially among more casual/younger NHL fans. instead, all of the good vibes surrounding Scott were not associated with the Coyotes, in fact we look kind of stupid/worse in the end. That's all.

Maybe. Or maybe if Scott hadn't been traded, his participation wouldn't have been as big a deal as it was this past weekend.

In the end I don't think it matters much.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Maybe. Or maybe if Scott hadn't been traded, his participation wouldn't have been as big a deal as it was this past weekend.

In the end I don't think it matters much.

I agree. Good story with a good ending, time too move on.

Tekneek

Nov 28, 2004
The biggest blunder by Don Maloney was misplaying his cards such that the most talked about NHL All Star weekend in quite some time had absolutely no Coyotes players at it. To make it worse, they are only perceived in a more negative light by the events that transpired over the past month. The only team to come out of this in a worse position than they started. I don't want to amplify the impact too much, but it was certainly a miscalculation.

GiveAFlyingPuck

Boring hockey aficionado
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2011
NW Valley of the Sun
These two ladies wearing their Coyotes jerseys got the Coyotes more exposure than any other team during the ASG.

scott-kids.jpg

I'm hoping the Jersey and tutu look catches on for the ladies.

Last edited:

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
The biggest blunder by Don Maloney was misplaying his cards such that the most talked about NHL All Star weekend in quite some time had absolutely no Coyotes players at it. To make it worse, they are only perceived in a more negative light by the events that transpired over the past month. The only team to come out of this in a worse position than they started. I don't want to amplify the impact too much, but it was certainly a miscalculation.

Assuming two things are both true:

A. The Coyotes want Tinordi

B. The Coyotes have no use for Scott

Which of the following scenarios is worse for us:

A. Trade Scott a couple of weeks before the Cinderella weekend

B. Trade Scott immediately after the Cinderella weekend

Yeah. You definitely look worse with that 2nd option. Better to just trade the player you're not using for the player you actually want when you have the chance to do so. Even if it makes you look a little cruel, it might make you look MUCH worse if you wait.

Or are you guys actually suggesting that we should've kept Scott and not traded for Tinordi? I hope that's not the argument, because then there is really nothing to discuss. That's nuts.

If the timing is the only thing that bothers you, I say two week prior to the ASG is better than two day following. Anyone disagree?

DomiToDuclair

Oct 17, 2014

Yeah. You definitely look worse with that 2nd option. Better to just trade the player you're not using for the player you actually want when you have the chance to do so. Even if it makes you look a little cruel, it might make you look MUCH worse if you wait.

Or are you guys actually suggesting that we should've kept Scott and not traded for Tinordi? I hope that's not the argument, because then there is really nothing to discuss. That's nuts.

If the timing is the only thing that bothers you, I say two week prior to the ASG is better than two day following. Anyone disagree?

I would tend to think after the ASG would certainly be the best time yes.

No controversy about making it seem like we traded him to get him out of the ASG, looks better on Maloney for making the trade as well.

I don't really see a reason why waiting even longer for the TDL isn't an option either, unless MTL had some other trades they wanted to make with the extra cap space (sure doesn't look like it).

not like Tinordi or Scott will make any impact for the big clubs whatsoever.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ

Don't disagree at all.

There's also the underlying story of potential friction between Scott and Coyote organization/players leading up to the ASG. Not sure how much of that comes out and at this point who cares. Coyotes lose the PR battle, but win the trade.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC

As I've been saying on Twitter (and based on my experiences covering the team as a beat writer) the Coyotes may be good at promoting their players on traditional media but they're completely and utterly incompetent (being nice here due to the profanity filters) at online media and recognizing/comprehending a viral campaign that could do wonders for the team across the board.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona

GM's job: ice best team with funds available. This was a personnel move - simple as that.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
the biggest blunder by don maloney was misplaying his cards such that the most talked about nhl all star weekend in quite some time had absolutely no coyotes players at it. To make it worse, they are only perceived in a more negative light by the events that transpired over the past month. The only team to come out of this in a worse position than they started. I don't want to amplify the impact too much, but it was certainly a miscalculation.

yawn

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
No it wasn't especially when the Habs GM said the trade was forced on him.

It was a AZ personnel move. As in icing a 23 man roster which can play versus a very solid but very limited 4th liner that is only capable of being in the lineup 20-30 nights a year.

I like Tinordi as a prospect though so I personally viewed his acquisition as a positive.

Making the deal without Scott puts him and his one way deal in the AHL. Not sure if that is better or worse on the scale of criticism that has met Maloney. Not sure I care anymore either.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I would tend to think after the ASG would certainly be the best time yes.

No controversy about making it seem like we traded him to get him out of the ASG, looks better on Maloney for making the trade as well.

I don't really see a reason why waiting even longer for the TDL isn't an option either, unless MTL had some other trades they wanted to make with the extra cap space (sure doesn't look like it).

not like Tinordi or Scott will make any impact for the big clubs whatsoever.

Tinordi has already contributed positively in two games. That's more than Scott arready. Delaying a trade that will improve your team for he sake of saving face is inexcusable. I can't believe you're advocating it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad