Fandom question

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
I'm not questioning how you watch, or root for your team. Everyone does what's right for them.

Myself, I'm 100% Rangers and don't really care about anyone else. That's why in the scheduling thread I voted for more rivalry games. They're more intense and that interests me more than seeing San Jose or even Edmonton.

So how do you see yourself? 80-20? 90-10? More, less?

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I'm not questioning how you watch, or root for your team. Everyone does what's right for them.

Myself, I'm 100% Rangers and don't really care about anyone else. That's why in the scheduling thread I voted for more rivalry games. They're more intense and that interests me more than seeing San Jose or even Edmonton.

So how do you see yourself? 80-20? 90-10? More, less?

I guess I am a hockey fan first, Rangers fan second. I watch/follow a bunch of teams in different leagues but I would never root against the Rangers. I don't have a 2nd NHL team like some do but I tend to root for the underdog in neutral match ups (Senators over Maple Leafs for instance).

I didn't really have a problem with the 5 months between Ranger games because I had a lot of other sports to watch including rugby, football and American football, on top of hockey in Europe.

Reactions: TominNC

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I take in other teams from time to time but I tend to jump on and off the bandwagon.

The Rangers are the only team I have lasting attachment to.

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
I guess I am a hockey fan first, Rangers fan second. I watch/follow a bunch of teams in different leagues but I would never root against the Rangers. I don't have a 2nd NHL team like some do but I tend to root for the underdog in neutral match ups (Senators over Maple Leafs for instance).

I didn't really have a problem with the 5 months between Ranger games because I had a lot of other sports to watch including rugby, football and American football, on top of hockey in Europe.
That' probably a better way of putting it than my 80-20 percentage. Hockey fan first or Rangers fan first. Rangers are almost the only hockey games I watch (although I did watch Caps-Pens this afternoon), but I've been watching almost all Rangers games for decades. I'm the same way with baseball. I watch almost all 162 Mets games and relatively few others.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
i'm not sure people were answering that question purely from a rangers or even entertainment standpoint...the question was should the nhl do it. well the NHL isn't just what's best for the rangers. when it comes down to the important for the league to have each team visit each site its probably more about the rangers visiting those markets than which random teams come to MSG

I think it becomes a completely different conversation if you are asking, ignoring the rest of the league, do you think its more fun to watch the rangers face the islanders, flyers etc a bunch of times.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I like watching good hockey but there's unfortunately a lot of games that look like NJD-Boston yesterday just boring. Also, even the fun games it really is sobering to think how few truly great chances there are in a 60 minute game, so at times I get bored watching other teams. When I watch the Rangers and they break up a pass in the D zone I'm a pig in shit, when that happens between two teams not the Rangers I get frustrated it didn't connect. There are way more breakups than connections. So more and more I realize I'm more of a Rangers fan than a hockey fan. It's still a great sport and if there were more connections than breakups it would probably be more boring and look like basketball. So it's kind of damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
i'm not sure people were answering that question purely from a rangers or even entertainment standpoint...the question was should the nhl do it. well the NHL isn't just what's best for the rangers. when it comes down to the important for the league to have each team visit each site its probably more about the rangers visiting those markets than which random teams come to MSG

I think it becomes a completely different conversation if you are asking, ignoring the rest of the league, do you think its more fun to watch the rangers face the islanders, flyers etc a bunch of times.
Good point. I am and do look at it totally from a Ranger fan point of view.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
About 90% of my hockey fandom goes toward the Rangers. I'd say that throughout the season, I watch an average of five games a month that aren't Rangers games, while normally seeing 75+ Rangers games live.

I would call Anaheim my second team, but I don't really care how they do; I just liked rooting for Getzlaf and Perry.

If the Rangers were suddenly removed from the NHL, I would try to cheer for another team; but I suspect that I would channel the f***s I have to give, into the PGATour.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
I'm a Rangers fan first and foremost every other team can go kick rocks but I like seeing the Rangers play all different types of teams just for the variety.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForConnSmythe
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
I have watched & played hockey ever since I can remember, so it's a massive part of my life. I go to around 8 Canucks games per season, I've been to the World Juniors every time it's been here, I go to a lot of Vancouver Giants games and the occasional Victoria Royals as well. I watch every Rangers game, about 90% of Canucks games, about half of Traktors games to see Kravtsov; and in my free time I'll passively watch any NHL team play. I don't follow any other sports in any capacity whatsoever.

So I'm definitely a hockey fan in general but my fandom is 100% Rangers, when I go to a Canucks vs whoever game I don't get those butterflies in my stomach. There is an astronomical difference between watching the Rangers play and anyone else play for me, watching anyone else play is just like having something on the background on TV that I can socialize with people while watching, when the Rangers are on I am in an intensely emotional state lol

NoQuitInNewMexico

Jan 7, 2011
new mexico lol
I catch a lot of random games early on in the season when I'm still super hype for hockey to come back, but I usually fade out of it, and the playoffs are never a big deal to me if the Rangers aren't playing. Watching a whole season of one team is a pretty big time commitment by itself.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I used to have Center Ice and watch all kinds of games. I also used to follow all of our prospects religiously (in terms of watching them play). Now, I watch the Rangers, about half the Wolf Pack games, our college prospects when possible and occasionally some of our European guys. I've watched less of the CHL prospects lately.

I don't really watch other NHL games. Maybe 10-20 per year. Excluding the playoffs. I don't really care about the rest of the league in terms of what's going on daily.

The Rangers are my favorite sports team. The Mets second. It would be like 60-40 Rangers. The Jets are in there too but the NFL is boring to me. Although I watch way more non-Jets NFL games than I do for the other sports teams. Weird. I also grew up playing competitive soccer and support Milan and DCU.

If all sports ceased to exist, I'd only miss the Rangers and Mets.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
Rangers and that’s it. Not enough time to follow multiple teams the way I did when I was a kid. Don’t really care about the playoffs if we’re not in them — unless there’s nothing good on TV or Netflix.

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
I used to have Center Ice and watch all kinds of games. I also used to follow all of our prospects religiously (in terms of watching them play). Now, I watch the Rangers, about half the Wolf Pack games, our college prospects when possible and occasionally some of our European guys. I've watched less of the CHL prospects lately.

I don't really watch other NHL games. Maybe 10-20 per year. Excluding the playoffs. I don't really care about the rest of the league in terms of what's going on daily.

The Rangers are my favorite sports team. The Mets second. It would be like 60-40 Rangers. The Jets are in there too but the NFL is boring to me. Although I watch way more non-Jets NFL games than I do for the other sports teams. Weird. I also grew up playing competitive soccer and support Milan and DCU.

If all sports ceased to exist, I'd only miss the Rangers and Mets.
Same here. If the Jets ever get their act together I'll watch their games because it's once a week. But I've gotten used to not caring much. But the cycle of Rangers and Mets seasons gives me something to watch.

Reactions: nyr2k2

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
ranger fan first and it's not close, at least when it comes to hockey

For me it's Chiefs, Rangers, NFL, Nets, then thats it

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Hockey fan first, but Rangers fan only. There are teams and players I like and I enjoy following them throughout the season, but there’s only team I am a fan of.

howztheglass

Jan 27, 2009
NHL—Rangers everyone else can suck it. I do like watching hockey over every other sport which most likely lead me to playing most of my life. COVID stopped most of us from playing but even at 55 I have no fear of slapping on the skates or blades or hell even dek hockey which some call ball hockey.

Thank god for older leagues—ha.

MLB—Mets for some crazy reason I do like the Padres but if they’re playing the Mets they can suck it to.

NFL—Jets.

Love sports and been to a million games—ok that’s a stretch but kept me busy other then the family and work so who can complain.

Was even lucky to play with my sons in some of our leagues—no better feeling then teaching/coaching and then playing my your kids.

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
NHL—Rangers everyone else can suck it. I do like watching hockey over every other sport which most likely lead me to playing most of my life. COVID stopped most of us from playing but even at 55 I have no fear of slapping on the skates or blades or hell even dek hockey which some call ball hockey.

Thank god for older leagues—ha.

MLB—Mets for some crazy reason I do like the Padres but if they’re playing the Mets they can suck it to.

NFL—Jets.

Love sports and been to a million games—ok that’s a stretch but kept me busy other then the family and work so who can complain.

Was even lucky to play with my sons in some of our leagues—no better feeling then teaching/coaching and then playing my your kids.
Another Rangers-Mets-Jets guy.

and yes hockey is the one I enjoyed playing. I’m 61 now and still play in a street hockey league (ball/dek whatever) when not COVID restricted

Reactions: howztheglass

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad