Fan960 Calgary reports PA rejects League's cap offer

Status
Not open for further replies.

no13matssundin

May 16, 2004
Bicycle Repairman said:
More from Maher:

- Owners offered a cap at $42 million, although there's some speculation it was as high as $48 million.

- No luxury tax provisions.

- Maher unsure whether Salary Arbitration was part of offer.

They rejected a 48 Million Dollar Cap?!?! ...

Now Im pissed. :madfire:

Son of Steinbrenner

Jul 9, 2003
Thunderstruck said:
I'll try this one more time to see if you can get my point.

I want to see hockey. I'm an huge fanatic, hence my presence here 24/7. That being said, I would rather the owners cancel the season than get off their cost certainty stance or sign a peice of crap deal like the one that was floated here earlier today.

Hope this helps.
Again.

what does it matter to you what deal the sides agree too?

SENSible1*

Son of Steinbrenner said:
Again.

Again.

The long term health of the majority of the teams in the league matters to me.

Your hero has ruined one sport, I don't want to see the NHL go any further down that path to destruction.

Jack Canuck

Sep 12, 2003
Hawaii
Visit site
Again.

It matters because it is the difference between the league running long term with 30 finanially stable teams, or going broke in a few seasons so that you can watch hockey now.

What do you think this is all about? :shakehead

Thornton97

Nov 18, 2004
Carrollton, TX
Thunderstruck said:
Your hero has ruined one sport, I don't want to see the NHL go any further down that path to destruction.

Bang. Well done, sir! That's the Bostonian in me coming out.

And I also agree with you on the owners and the CBA - a proper deal is needed to ensure the future health of this league.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Thunderstruck said:
Again.

With NO season this year there could be no such thing as long term health, a good chance the NHL will end up like baseball after their strike, except 5 years down the road it probably won't rebound like baseball did.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
PeterSidorkiewicz said:
So thats the well thought out and creative proposal? The samething as in September. Did I mention how beautiful I think the NHL has been run the past 10 years? The owners side is about as creative as the NHL's marketing team. All I want is a simple yes or no answer on the season already, then all this stupid speculation can be over. If a deal is really not reached and the season is cancelled it really will be a sad sad day for hockey and for all of us fans.

This is why I think this was not the owners best offer. If Gary Bettman cancels the season, that would be his legacy. Forever. Not expansion into the south. Not how the sport has gone to hell. Not even the first lockout. If he is really ready to do this, he's going to be hated by many many people for the rest of his life. Much like Bud Selig (I don't think he is hated, he is disliked, but his legacy will always be canceling the World Series). He would be better off being exhiled somewhere in some obscure island and being an unknown. If he really thinks that cancelling the season is a viable option, someone has to step up, call him out, and get him out.

Son of Steinbrenner

Jul 9, 2003
Thunderstruck said:
Again.

wait my hero?

oh you mean mr steinbrenner. you mean a man that pays over 80 million in luxary tax and revenue sharing. an owner in sport that has never been more popular and a sport where the average salary has gone DOWN since the last cba was signed. that mr steinbrener?

don't you understand the long term health of the league depends on fan interest not a salary cap. the league is shut down and nobody cares now whats going to happen when they miss two seasons? the owners have no shot of winning in the NLRB because of the players offer last month. The owners have shot themselves in the foot and this offer tonight was joke. Daly talked for a week about a creative proposal and the nhl just raised the offer by 3 million dollars. :shakehead

my suggestion to you is look up baseball finances and the franchise values for teams.

The brewers sold for over 400 million dollars and you think baseball is ruined. :lol

SuperNintendoChalmrs

Jun 28, 2002
Buffalo
Thunderstruck said:
Again.

He doesn't understand what you are saying. He has a picture of the Big Unic, calls himself Son of SteinScheister. He prolly s**** Franklins into the turlet.

:yo:

Son of Steinbrenner

Jul 9, 2003
Jack Canuck said:
It matters because it is the difference between the league running long term with 30 finanially stable teams, or going broke in a few seasons so that you can watch hockey now.

What do you think this is all about? :shakehead
30 stable franchises.

there might not be 20 when the dust settles.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
no13matssundin said:
They rejected a 48 Million Dollar Cap?!?! ...

Now Im pissed. :madfire:

? What? it was SPECULATION to be that high....ill put my life savings that it was 42 and the owners did not make it 48. If they did the players would have accepted..and if for some reason I find out it was 48 million then I will turn to the owners side because a 48 million Cap they should have agreed to..but im saying..they didnt get that offered.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
30 stable franchises.

there might not be 20 when the dust settles.
That's nice. Were there that many to start with?

no13matssundin

May 16, 2004
Bicycle Repairman said:
Further information from Fan960's Rob Kerr:

The proposal that was rejected featured a "sliding" team salary scale of $34-42 million.

Thanks BR... that explains the 42 Mil #.

So, they rejected not 48 mil, but 42 Mil.. which is still high.

The average... 1.8 Mil as opposed to 1.9 Mil.... Nice.

bluebleeder38

Feb 8, 2003
The S.T.L.
Visit site
I dunno, this whole "no further comments" thing that the NHL always says after these negotiations sounds a little suspicious...I guess I'm being an optimist, but I still think something will get done.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
People aren't realizing that is the season is canceled, there is no long term helth of the NHL. It will almost cease to be.

no13matssundin

May 16, 2004
Im still trying to swallow the fact they rejected a deal that left them with an average of 1.8 Million as opposed to their 1.9 Million they current have...

a 100,000$ difference.

Anyone else really angry right now?

no13matssundin

May 16, 2004
go kim johnsson said:
People aren't realizing that is the season is canceled, there is no long term helth of the NHL. It will almost cease to be.

Ya, i agree. I think its really glaringly obvious now. The NHL is SCREWED

Son of Steinbrenner

Jul 9, 2003
HF2002 said:
carolina
aneheim
tampa bay
calgary.

hmm i guess its just the large market teams that are succesful :shakehead

i mean i'm a rangers fan and i'm sooooooooo happy my team spends to win. :lol

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
go kim johnsson said:

I see it. If this season is cancelled the league as we know it is going to cave. If they arent going to get it done now they certainly wont have it done before next October. The players should really consider if they want to make sure all their jobs are intact as part of the deal because if they keep up their stubborn ways there will be a lot of guys wishing they were making 500k in the NHL and not riding buses in the AHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->