Fan960 Calgary reports PA rejects League's cap offer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crows*

If this is true.

This is a massive disgusting mistake by the NHLPA.

Goodbye season.,

DownFromNJ

Mar 7, 2004
MSG reported that the proposal was a combination of hard cap, soft cap, and payroll tax.

Son of Steinbrenner

Jul 9, 2003
Crows said:
If this is true.

This is a massive disgusting mistake by the NHLPA.

Goodbye season.,
A. We don't know what the offer was so its hard to say it was a mistake.

B. We don't know if there was even an offer made.

C. NYTIMES says no deal was offered to the players.

buce

Jan 25, 2005
Toronto
Son of Steinbrenner said:
A. We don't know what the offer was so its hard to say it was a mistake.

B. We don't know if there was even an offer made.

C. NYTIMES says no deal was offered to the players.

The NY Times? hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

My mom says no deal was offered to the players either. The only difference is she knows more about hockey...

Phil333

Dec 26, 2003
New York City
I just wish we would get something substantial soon. This is driving me crazy. I have checked this board so many times today.

As for if the PA rejected it, maybe we have one more propsal before we're done. I think we have till the 31st for a deal to be struck.

Son of Steinbrenner

Jul 9, 2003
OilerFan4Life said:
www.tsn.ca is also reporting the proposal was shot down.
The NHL made a proposal during the meeting that was not accepted by the NHLPA. The proposal reportedly included a team-by-team salary cap with no luxury tax involved.

this is the creative offer the owners were talking about? haven't they offered this before?

nyr7andcounting

Feb 24, 2004
"The NHL made a proposal during the meeting that was not accepted by the NHLPA. The proposal reportedly included a team-by-team salary cap with no luxury tax involved."

From the TSN article mentioned above. I am not sure anyone really knows what was offered if anything, but if this is try than you can't blame the players for rejecting it...it's more of the same from the NHL. Hopefully it's not true, but if they are saying no further meetings are schedueled AND the players have rejected a hard cap, nothing's new, proposal from the NHL than the season is definetly over.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The NHL made a proposal during the meeting that was not accepted by the NHLPA. The proposal reportedly included a team-by-team salary cap with no luxury tax involved.

this is the creative offer the owners were talking about? haven't they offered this before?

If this is what they had planned, then they have been planning to not play this season since September.

SENSible1*

nyr7andcounting said:
"The NHL made a proposal during the meeting that was not accepted by the NHLPA. The proposal reportedly included a team-by-team salary cap with no luxury tax involved."

From the TSN article mentioned above. I am not sure anyone really knows what was offered if anything, but if this is try than you can't blame the players for rejecting it...it's more of the same from the NHL. Hopefully it's not true, but if they are saying no further meetings are schedueled AND the players have rejected a hard cap, nothing's new, proposal from the NHL than the season is definetly over.

Great to see the owners sticking to their guns. I'd rather see them cancel the season than cave again.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
So thats the well thought out and creative proposal? The samething as in September. Did I mention how beautiful I think the NHL has been run the past 10 years? The owners side is about as creative as the NHL's marketing team. All I want is a simple yes or no answer on the season already, then all this stupid speculation can be over. If a deal is really not reached and the season is cancelled it really will be a sad sad day for hockey and for all of us fans.

kerrly

May 16, 2004
Regina
Thunderstruck said:
Great to see the owners sticking to their guns. I'd rather see them cancel the season than cave again.

I'm sure you may have realised by now, but I'm with you on this one. I'm so relieved that the rumoured proposal floating around here all day wasn't actually the proposal. I'm not happy about the season being flushed down the tubes, but I'm also more happy that the owners haven't given in too much.

nyr7andcounting

Feb 24, 2004
I feel the same way. What's the point in being creative and negotiating if it's only going to result in a stupid half season and a Stanley Cup? I mean this negotiating stuff is pretty hard, why not just let the season go down the drain and drag it through the summer and into next year and pray that the union cracks and gives up sooner or later? And if not? uh-oh.

Son of Steinbrenner

Jul 9, 2003
Thunderstruck said:
Really?

Honestly you would rather see no hockey than hockey? What does it matter to you what kind of deal the players and owners sign? You can't use the excuse that your team won't be able to compete because if you look at the past few stanley cup finals that will blow up that argument.

So honestly why bother to post on a hockey message board if you would rather see no hockey?

Even the most hardline supporter of the owners want to see hockey. Its not like the owners came back tonight with a creative proposal that the players rejected. The owners came back with the same proposal they gave the players a month ago. Its clear the owners don't want to have a hockey season. Its clear they want to blow up a sport that has crowned a champion every year since 1919. Its clear they don't care about the fans and the cities they play in. All the owners care about is having the players pay for the owners mistakes. Small market teams are going to become no market teams when this thing is all said and done.

Bicycle Repairman

Jul 1, 2003
Visit site
More from Maher:

- Owners offered a cap at $42 million, although there's some speculation it was as high as $48 million.

- No luxury tax provisions.

- Maher unsure whether Salary Arbitration was part of offer.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
nyr7andcounting said:
I feel the same way. What's the point in being creative and negotiating if it's only going to result in a stupid half season and a Stanley Cup? I mean this negotiating stuff is pretty hard, why not just let the season go down the drain and drag it through the summer and into next year and pray that the union cracks and gives up sooner or later? And if not? uh-oh.

Well if theres no deal to save this years season, youre gonna be having a stupid half season next year too at the MOST, probably. And Im just wondering, if theres this season and next season lost, or even part of next season and somehow a hard cap does get in place, whats gonna happen when they set their hard cap at 40 million or whatever and the NHL still loses money, cause theres absolutely NO ONE watching anymore? I dont even care if youre on the owners or players side, an entire loss of a season is going to be a massive blow to the NHL, and we may figure out a hard cap wasn't worth it in the least bit when theres no fan base to even base a hard cap off of.

no13matssundin

May 16, 2004
So, there have been times in this whole thing that Ive said there can be compromise and whatnot, and I did think there could be... but if what were hearing is true, then I think I might have to add my voice to the "break the union" chorus.

42 Million cap is still higher than the majority of teams in the league... theyre still making their millions, the players, and cost certainty, while admittedly "idiot proof" for the owners, only serves to level the financial playing field for smaller market teams (even though 42 Mil is still way high for some of those markets that are struggling)

I am really disappointed by the PA. I was before, but now... now its just greed. :madfire:

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
Bicycle Repairman said:
More from Maher:

- Owners offered a cap at $42 million, although there's some speculation it was as high as $48 million.

- No luxury tax provisions.

- Maher unsure whether Salary Arbitration was part of offer.

If the players really rejected a $48 million cap (69 percent of league revenues, better than any other professional sports league, $2 million average salary) I don't see how anyone can have any sympathy for them.

SENSible1*

Really?

Honestly you would rather see no hockey than hockey? What does it matter to you what kind of deal the players and owners sign? You can't use the excuse that your team won't be able to compete because if you look at the past few stanley cup finals that will blow up that argument.

So honestly why bother to post on a hockey message board if you would rather see no hockey?

Even the most hardline supporter of the owners want to see hockey. Its not like the owners came back tonight with a creative proposal that the players rejected. The owners came back with the same proposal they gave the players a month ago. Its clear the owners don't want to have a hockey season. Its clear they want to blow up a sport that has crowned a champion every year since 1919. Its clear they don't care about the fans and the cities they play in. All the owners care about is having the players pay for the owners mistakes. Small market teams are going to become no market teams when this thing is all said and done.

I'll try this one more time to see if you can get my point.

I want to see hockey. I'm an huge fanatic, hence my presence here 24/7. That being said, I would rather the owners cancel the season than get off their cost certainty stance or sign a peice of crap deal like the one that was floated here earlier today.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad