Fan590 reporting ... NHL/NHLPA Wednesday meeting

Status
Not open for further replies.

quartermaster29

Oct 15, 2004
USA
I'd also like to personally thank the Canadian posters for puking the anti-American fan goo. It's refreshing to see why Americans don't take the sport more serious than or equally serious to Canadians... why should we? Whenever we try we get crap like that thrown in our face!

"What? Your an American and you like hockey?!? You and that other fella! *yuck yuck*"

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
quartermaster29 said:
It's a difficult idea to grab hold of, this, meeting all day and NOTHING coming of it. Surely there will be talking going on. Right? And isn't the fact they are talking better than nothing?

I would like to think that they are ironing out the details. I am not going to say I have a theory as to what's being said, but I'd like to think there's some actual discussion happening.

Also, I'd like to think that with the desperate attempt to keep the media out of it, they won't discuss the results until Bettman and Goodenow have been updated and I would be willing to bet we don't see the results of this meeting until maybe even Monday. There will be tons of rumors I'm sure.

I'm with you. I just got to thinking...

If the meeting is being held at the airport, is that not the easiest place to get Bettman/Goodenow if a deal is stricken in principal? They'd need to go through very few media people, and could slip in barely seen (obviously someone would find out...). That way they only have the top guys there if a deal is doable, and Linden/Hotchkiss know what deals are doable and what ones aren't, they'll just have to warm their leaders up to it.

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
quartermaster29 said:
I'd also like to personally thank the Canadian posters for puking the anti-American fan goo. It's refreshing to see why Americans don't take the sport more serious than or equally serious to Canadians... why should we? Whenever we try we get crap like that thrown in our face!

"What? Your an American and you like hockey?!? You and that other fella! *yuck yuck*"

lol

If you took my comment seriously, please accept my sincere apology, I was carrying on a joke. I promise you that I am well aware there are many intelligent hockey fans in the United States, and that many Americans miss hockey just as much as me. Seriously, I am very sorry.

X0ssbar

Roger Millions is on 1460thefan.com right now in Columbus on the Doug MacLean show and he is reporting that he has not seen either group actualy meeting together. He says he sees both teams in seperate board rooms go over paper work for over 5 hours.

Jeff Rimer then posed the question that is it possible that they may be reveiwing proposals? Millions responded that its certainly a possibility but doesn't know for sure.

He also just mentioned that Harley just emerged from the meeting so it may be over.

They are done with the interview now.

quartermaster29

Oct 15, 2004
USA
Top Shelf said:
Millions responded that its certainly a possibility but doesn't know for sure.

That name kills me. Millions! Millions! That's a lot of people, you know!

(I read the opening, and I understand. It just makes me pause when I read it!)

X0ssbar

Rimer also mentioned that Mike Murphy from the NHL offices today announced that, as of now, that the best schedule the NHL could have at this point is a 36 game schedule. They would need to 2 days for every game played. Season starting Feb 1st with it ending sometime in April.

Apparently Rimer read this in an article where Murphy was quoted and Rimer considers this a positive development that he would announce this. I don't have a link.

quartermaster29

Oct 15, 2004
USA
GregStack said:
lol

If you took my comment seriously, please accept my sincere apology, I was carrying on a joke. I promise you that I am well aware there are many intelligent hockey fans in the United States, and that many Americans miss hockey just as much as me. Seriously, I am very sorry.

And I'm probably guilty of over-reaction. Wouldn't be the first time. The jokes just hit me at a good time of the day. Apology accepted, and I will work on my sensitivity and try and view them as jokes.

X0ssbar

Rimer is reporting the meeting is now over. Conference is under way.

First news - the meeting was positive but apparently they are no further to a deal and no more meetings have been reported.

This is coming from Rimer's son who produces a show on 590 the fan in Toronto who phoned his dad, Jeff, in the studio in Columbus.

nyr7andcounting

Feb 24, 2004
Hopefully this next meeting is before the weekend, otherwise it may be too late for any of these meetings to matter at that point.

Beauty eh?

Not sure if serious.
Dec 20, 2004
Southern California
Top Shelf said:
Now tsn.ca is reporting:

"Daly and Saskin, in a brief media scrum afterwards, said a future meeting would be held but did not give further details."

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=111787&hubName=nhl

Better than nothing, but they better hurry.....if they were smart they would meet again tomorrow morning at the same place. Call everyone in who you need to call, just keep talking and get something done for chrissakes!

Beauty eh?

Not sure if serious.
Dec 20, 2004
Southern California
nyr7andcounting said:
Hopefully this next meeting is before the weekend, otherwise it may be too late for any of these meetings to matter at that point.

Exactly. Unless they get something done in the couple weeks and just extend the shortened season past April.

Crows*

I hope they hold another meeting in chicago tommrow or friday. Time is ticking and i agree any later and it's too late. A deal needs to be done by mid week next week probbaly to have a season.,

kenabnrmal

Feb 28, 2002
the beach or rink
Visit site
I think this is probably the best that could realistically be hoped for. Truely, they weren't going to come out of this meeting with a deal signed and sealed without the figureheads there. They also aren't going to tell us "well, we got a deal done, we're just going to wait till the weekend, Gary and Bob will come on down, and we'll get it signed up for you folks...". Good dialogue and the lack of sniping at each other is about as positive a sign as we've had in this whole debacle, and as far as I can tell, points to good things.

WickedBruinsGirl

May 1, 2003
Cambridge
ESPNews said the "unofficial" dropdead date is February 1st to get a deal done. That would allow for a 36 game schedule. (I'm sure this has been said somewhere in this thread already, but I can't remember.)

I too hope the meeting is soon, within the next couple of days. It's good that Saskin and Daly didn't offer any details about it... right? :dunno:

cneely

Jan 6, 2005
Crows said:
I hope they hold another meeting in chicago tommrow or friday. Time is ticking and i agree any later and it's too late. A deal needs to be done by mid week next week probbaly to have a season.,

I wouldn't read too much into the lack of meetings for several days.

I would guess that each party has gone back to their constiuents to discuss the days developments and what sort of concessions (if any) each party has committed.

Son of Steinbrenner

Jul 9, 2003
when they say they are meeting soon that could mean tommorow. they might not want a media circus to take place again and they tried hard to keep the chicago meeting place quiet.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Is it true that Fox is reporting that the outlines of a possible 8 year deal, involving rollbacks and a soft cap, have been put together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad