Fan-voted 2005 1st round Mock Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I'd disagree and say that goaltending was not perceived by fans as a big need for New York until they actually made the pick and took Montoya.

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
Steadfast said:
I'd disagree and say that goaltending was not perceived by fans as a big need for New York until they actually made the pick and took Montoya.

Cause there were BIG holes to fill in anyway, why worry about goaltending now.

Asiaoil

Vperod Bizona!
May 3, 2002
Visit site
If I'm the Oilers GM and sitting at #14 with Price, Kindl, Setoguchi, Bergfors and Parent available - I'm shopping Price and moving down a few slots (he's clearly BPA but we have enough goalies for now). In fact I like Price more than Rask right now.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Unless any of the big name forwards are left on the boards, then Buffalo needs a D man.

I'm still hurting from last year when we took Stafford instead of Meszaros.

misfit

5-14-6-1
Feb 2, 2004
just north of...everything
Rowley Birkin said:
Unless any of the big name forwards are left on the boards, then Buffalo needs a D man.

I'm still hurting from last year when we took Stafford instead of Meszaros.

Team need or not, I'd still take Stafford over Meszaros every time. Besides, Meszaros won't see the NHL for at least 4 years, so who knows what Bufalo will need by then.

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
misfit said:
Team need or not, I'd still take Stafford over Meszaros every time. Besides, Meszaros won't see the NHL for at least 4 years, so who knows what Bufalo will need by then.

Well he did play in the WC last year, that tells me he's way more NHL ready than most prospects.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
misfit said:

John Muckler says Meszaros could have made the Sens *last* season. So much for that 4 year theory.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
misfit said:
I'll bet you (even though its impossible :))that Meszaros is in the NHL in under 2. Wouldn't suprise me to see him there in a year.

Greg7

Feb 5, 2004
I'm a best player available guy. They are prospects, and many of them (most of them in fact) do not pan out, so you just take the guy who you like best and hope he pans out, and deal with any depth chart holes later. If you want to draft for position to fill holes, you do that later in the draft when it's a complete crapshoot anyway.

nomorekids said:
I follow the WHL pretty well...but for whatever reason, I've yet to see the hype around Price. Just seems like another Dubnyk to me...a prospect I'm not all that high on.
I like Price about a hundred times more than Dubnyk. In fact, I think Price is possibly the best goalie in the WHL this year, and the only outstanding goalie this year that doesn't play behind a great defense. His legs are like lightning, he's very very quick cross crease, he is always square to the puck, he's big, he moves with purpose (please take lessons on this Schwarz) and he is an amazing puck handler. Dubnyk is mostly just big, I don't really see the big deal about him. Price, on the other hand, has everything a guy could want in a goalie. Just my opinion, anyway.

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
detroit will NEVER pick a goalie in the first 3 rds for atleast 1-2 more yrs inless hes a complete stud and from what ive heard on vincent he aint anything special... not to mention we need size more then goaltending

Fozz

Aug 1, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
I think the whole "best player available" thing is extremely overdone. The differences in player talent levels are so minimal after the first pick that it really is all a matter of how team evaluate them in the first place.

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
monster_bertuzzi said:
John Muckler says Meszaros could have made the Sens *last* season. So much for that 4 year theory.
If Meszaros made the Sens out of training camp last year he would have been dispatched back within a handle of games. His mental game and his bonehead plays are still several seasons away from making the NHL on a regular basis.

GM's tend to say nice things about their own prospects.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
You're still smarting over picking Stafford instead of Meszaros? Try Thelen over both of those guys? :banghead:

AJ Freaking Thelen, guy has a huge ego and a huge head...UGH! Minnesota still needs a better offensive-defenseman than Burns, who will be a solid top-4 guy in the NHL that can move the puck, throw a few hits, and pepper the goalie with a couple of shots but...UGH! Thelen...

DevilFisch

Jan 11, 2003
Edison, NJ
www.inlouwetrust.com
Wait, NJ will be selecting a goaltender? Jean-Philippe Levasseur? Who is he; and is he really a better player available than Brian Lee, Matt Lashoff, or Luc Bourdon? I ask only out of ignorance of any of these players.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
DoobieDoobieDo said:
You're still smarting over picking Stafford instead of Meszaros? Try Thelen over both of those guys? :banghead:

AJ Freaking Thelen, guy has a huge ego and a huge head...UGH! Minnesota still needs a better offensive-defenseman than Burns, who will be a solid top-4 guy in the NHL that can move the puck, throw a few hits, and pepper the goalie with a couple of shots but...UGH! Thelen...

I'd give Thelen a bit more time before giving up on him. Something tells me he'll turn around next season.

DARKSIDE

Nov 17, 2003
DevilFisch said:
Wait, NJ will be selecting a goaltender? Jean-Philippe Levasseur? Who is he; and is he really a better player available than Brian Lee, Matt Lashoff, or Luc Bourdon? I ask only out of ignorance of any of these players.

I'm with you Fisch. I figure we need a defensemen more then a goaltender. However, if the kid is a stud, I can see Lou going goaltender, who would be the apparent heir to Marty. Also, don't know much about this class after the top 5 of 6 picks.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Rabid Ranger said:
I'd give Thelen a bit more time before giving up on him. Something tells me he'll turn around next season.

He'd better. Guy has to suck it up instead of whinning and quitting in the middle of the season...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad