Fan sues MSG over puck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nifty=HHOF

Jul 8, 2004
Depressed Yankee Land
Great, the only way we get NHL news is this

"A Manhattan woman went to a hockey game - and a lawsuit broke out.

Gyongyi Tokolyi, 37, was watching her first Rangers game from the seventh row when a puck sailed from the ice and hit her in the face.

The March 17, 2002, accident led to Tokolyi's $11 million negligence suit against Madison Square Garden - which a judge refused to dismiss yesterday."

What do people think - pay attention to the damn game or the NHL needs to do more to protect fans? (assuming, of course, there is a NHL again someday)

http://www.nydailynews.com/front/story/268331p-229652c.html

garry1221

Mar 13, 2003
Walled Lake, Mi
Visit site
sounds like a woman who knows nothing about hockey to begin with and a judge with no knowledge of the game either. if there's one thing anyone knows it's keep your head up, regardless of the sport, i'd bet you wouldn't see anything like this if it were the yankees or mets being sued. it's common sense and the woman obviously didn't have enough. not meaning to sound cold hearted or anything, but it's true.

kerrly

May 16, 2004
Regina
Niftyone said:

Gyongyi Tokolyi, 37, was watching her first Rangers game from the seventh row when a puck sailed from the ice and hit her in the face.

The March 17, 2002, accident led to Tokolyi's $11 million negligence suit against Madison Square Garden - which a judge refused to dismiss yesterday."

What do people think - pay attention to the damn game or the NHL needs to do more to protect fans? (assuming, of course, there is a NHL again someday)

I think this is rediculous. It seems like anyone will sue over anything these days. Everyone trying to make a quick buck. What more can the NHL do realistically???

sparkle twin

Jul 31, 2002
Smashville, TN
The backs of Predators tickets say:

"Warning: Pucks flying into spectator area can cause serious injury. Be alert when in spectator areas. If injured, notify usher for directions to medical station. The holder of this ticket assumes all risks and danger of personal injury and all other hazards arising from or related in any way to the event for which this ticket is issued. Whether occurring prior or after the event including specifically (But not exclusively) the danger of being injured by hockey pucks and sticks, other spectators or players or by thrown objects. The holder agrees that the arena, the league, its officers and employees, the participating clubs, their officers, players, employees, and agents are expressly released by the holder from claims arising from such causes."

Even the backs of tickets bought at ticket windows have the same sort of warning and disclaimer on them.

I thought all tickets had that kind of warning on them? If they do, how in the world is someone allowed to sue the arena when it clearly states "the arena...is released by the holder from claims arising from such causes?"

It's not like someone intentionally shot the puck directly at her.

mzon

Feb 13, 2003
Raleigh, NC
Visit site
spank303 said:
The backs of Predators tickets say:

"Warning: Pucks flying into spectator area can cause serious injury. Be alert when in spectator areas. If injured, notify usher for directions to medical station. The holder of this ticket assumes all risks and danger of personal injury and all other hazards arising from or related in any way to the event for which this ticket is issued. Whether occurring prior or after the event including specifically (But not exclusively) the danger of being injured by hockey pucks and sticks, other spectators or players or by thrown objects. The holder agrees that the arena, the league, its officers and employees, the participating clubs, their officers, players, employees, and agents are expressly released by the holder from claims arising from such causes."

Claiming to have no responsibility for something does not make someone not responsible. BTW I still think the lawsuit is ridiculous.

gerbilanium

Oct 17, 2003
Sounds like a person who is clearly deserving of a puck to the face. Too bad there is no video of it.

rwilson99

Niftyone said:

Serves the league right for putting up the nets. This woman's seat would be covered by netting today, and that is why she will win.

fan mao rong

Feb 6, 2003
port royal , pa
Visit site
All that suit is , is a suit against Madison Square Garden. The case against the Rangers and NHL has been dismissed by a lower court. The judge in that case also had dismissed the case against Madison Square Garden but it was reinstated. So if this is about Hockey, it should be labeled OT.

OlTimeHockey

Dec 5, 2003
home
Purely rediculous.

But since it's the Ranger$....

Wonder if the fans rocked her stretcher on the concourse?

Will she get a helicopter pad out of the suit?

I miss hockey. Sorry all.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
MR. X said:
Claiming to have no responsibility for something does not make someone not responsible. BTW I still think the lawsuit is ridiculous.

From an attorney:

You are wrong. I do not know the details of this case, nor the specific laws of NY for that matter (I am in PA) but the above is called an exculpatory clause and they are valid and enforceable. However I have gotten past them in the past when they were part of a larger contract by finding conflicts within the contract with the exculpatory clause. In my case remedies were listed despite the fact of the clause that said that the corporation was not responsible.

In any event, the long and short of it is that exculpatory clauses are in fact valid, however, they are read very narrowly and need to be carefully drafted. I have no clue what conflict or other reason her attorney could find in so short of a 'contract' but apparently he or she found one.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
I was most likely at the game where she was injured...if I had known she was going to pull something like this I would have went over to her bleeding or whatever and gave her anything pop to the face. There are warnings on the back of the tickets, they have an annoucment at the start of the game, and they have random annoucments throughout the game to watch out to pucks. What an idiot this lady is. I hope she goes to a baseball game and gets hit with a bat next.

Its like the idiot who sued Mc Ds because SHE spilled coffee on herself claiming she didnt know it was hot or something. :shakehead

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Beauty said:
She wasn't very good looking to begin with...I guess she's planning on spending some of that 11 mill on cosmetic surgery. I remember on an old Don Cherry tape, Don warned women at games everywhere to stop yapping and watch the game because of this kind or stuff.

In other ridiculous law suit news -

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20050106/od_nm/television_rat_dc_4

From the Article:
He said the show caused his blood pressure to rise so high that he became dizzy and light-headed, and when he ran away to his room, he bumped his head into the doorway.
:lol :lol Grumpy old man bumped his head now he wants 2.5. What a joke.

Beauty eh?

Not sure if serious.
Dec 20, 2004
Southern California
FLYLine4LIFE said:
From the Article:

:lol :lol Grumpy old man bumped his head now he wants 2.5. What a joke.

Personally, I find this to be the best part of the article -

In a brief telephone interview with Reuters, Aitken said, "I am not at liberty to discuss the complaint unless it is a paid-interview situation."

LOL....what a fool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->