Fan Strike!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
jacketracket said:
I'm frustrated too, and wish they were playing.

But I think both sides realize that there's a serious problem with the league's structure that needs fixing. I'd be angrier if the two sides had thrown together some last-second deal with the sole intent of not cancelling the season, only to end up back in this spot a year or so from now.

I don't see the league disappearing simply because they lost a season.
Cancelling the season is in the best interest of the game in fact IMO ..

If they signed a last second deal .. and then wanted to start a shortened season in a few weeks it would be total Chaos .. Lots of UFA to sign and teams to organize and under this pressure CONTRACT mistakes will be made as there is no time to THINK or WASTE TIME in the process ..

a cancelled season and on going negotiations would serve the long-term cause better IMO ..

Shappa

Oct 11, 2002
Whenever I see a thread like this, I picture those vikings from the credit card commercial busting into rinks and board meetings. I think a Viking rush is what these negotiations really need...

jacketracket*

The Messenger said:
Cancelling the season is in the best interest of the game in fact IMO ..

If they signed a last second deal .. and then wanted to start a shortened season in a few weeks it would be total Chaos .. Lots of UFA to sign and teams to organize and under this pressure CONTRACT mistakes will be made as there is no time to THINK or WASTE TIME in the process ..

a cancelled season and on going negotiations would serve the long-term cause better IMO ..
You said it better than I did ... agreed.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
jacketracket said:
You said it better than I did ... agreed.
The biggest flaw unfortunately with my own statement that while in theory it is right .. If the season is cancelled and lost ..then there would be no motivation on the the side of the NHLPA to continue talks ..

The pressure of a Salary is gone and as such so would be the interest to negotiate again until September .. IMO when both sides would once again feel the $$$ loss and the FAN pressure ..

I thought it was a mistake by Bettman to annouce a Drop dead date and cancelation IMO .. Should have kept going and then when a deal was finally reached .. Sat down and concluded that not enough time exists for a meaningful season and lets start up fresh in the Fall ... Teams take the summer and the draft to plan your teams and UFA spending and get ready for a Sept 15th, 2005 training camp once you are all familiar with the new CBA ..,

codswallop

yes, i am an alcoholic
Aug 20, 2002
GA
The Messenger said:

HERE IS MY - I AM JUST A FAN ** SOAP BOX SPEACH **

I am just a fan who believes that expansion has watered down the game that I love to watch with a passion.

As a fan .. Why would I care if there are 30 teams or 24 remaining after this lockout holocaust ??..

With 24 Teams they all would be stronger financially and stronger on the ice as the good players on the contracted/bankrupt teams would be added to the remaining surviving ones. Resulting in the players on those teams that are career minor leaguers to once again return to where they belong. As I firmly believe you are only as Strong as your Weakest link ..

I would rather see Jerome Iginla setting up Ilya Kovalchuk in Calgary for a highlight reel goal then to see Calgary setting up the trap to prohibit Atlanta's Kovalchuk from scoring, while Iginla is taking passes from 40 year old Dave Lowry and goon Chris Simon to try to get the Flames a win..

I bet you Revenue and attendance in Calgary post lockout would soar upwards to see Ilya and Jerome on the same team then playing against each other .. and so would I if I was tuning into a HNIC Canada double header game on TV .. I might even renew my Centre Ice Hockey Package and catch the Flames during the week to see that in fact .. Imagine that excitement from a fan perspective post lockout ..

I don't care if NHL players jobs are lost as I am not a player and I don't care if Teams are lost as I am not an owner, but as as a FAN who is paying the bill on both sides I care what I am paying for ..

I am a fan and the only part of this whole Fiasco that I am interested in that begs the question - "What's in it for me"? ...

I think Bettman's tearing down the strong for the sake of the weak already on life support is a very poor business decision ..and after all the dust settles will make the NHL game a far less entertaining product on the Ice and profitable one in the books, and when these teams fail and I firmly believe they will, which will result in Bettman's head and firing...Fans then we will be locked into a 6 year CBA, without the head of the monster that created it around to blame any longer ..

So that is why I want to see the PLAN .. MR. Bettman that will convince me otherwise ..If this is all about Money and which side gets more then I am keeping mine and finding others ways to spend it .. Have fun dividing up nothing ..

I would have loved to not have my heart broken as a little kid when I was moved to Atlanta where I had the chance to finally see a real NHL team (or any hockey for that matter), only to have them move away a year later. Didn't really care how or why at that age, I was just pissed. Became even more pissed when I got older and found out the reason for the relocation had nothing to do how the team was fitting into the NHL. The team owner lost a bundle when the real estate market hit the skids in the late 70s, he had no choice but to sell and several bids to keep the team here were trumped by a group from Calgary.

Now, imagine if our places were switched. That anger has of course dissipated over the years. But I do sometimes wonder what the situation would be now if the Flames hadn't moved to Calgary.

No one can say if they would have prospered if they had stayed here in Atlanta, too many unknowns between then and now. But it would have been quite interesting to find out. The population constantly growing (now more than 4.5M people), a good percentage of that coming from up north to work due to the hordes of corporate entities in the city. The city and the team growing together. If they had stayed and survived (which I very much believe would have been the case), it would now be more than thirty years. They would be considered established. Nobody would be able to say that Atlanta doesn’t deserve an NHL team, even those who (unfortunately) use geography as their primary argument.

This is part of the point I'm getting at. I do agree with many that expansion happened too quickly and maybe not every franchise deserves to be in the league. But the fact is they are right now, whether we like it or not. Even though I don't exactly agree with how the NHL went into expanding the sport, I definitely agree that trying to expand its popularity and extend it's reach is a good thing. But these things take time, and patience. And by time, I’m talking about close to two decades to fully establish a team.

Neither of us may agree that there should be this many teams, but that’s the way it is. The NHL has shown their commitment to doing whatever they can to keep every team. In time, it’s possible that some teams will fail on their own due to ownership issues and/or lack of support. If that happens, so be it. But I’m keenly interested in finding out how each and every team will fare with a moderately stable economic base, when management of the team is the primary reason for success or failure.

skellart

Jan 24, 2005
Chattown
Reilly311 said:
BRING BACK THE JETS!!!!PEOPLE IN THE SOUTH DON'T CARE ABOUT HOCKEY

if canada cared enough about the jets, wouldn't they still bbe there? :teach: :snide: obviously you wern't there in nashville when the fans lit up the GEC game 5 vs Detroit.

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
I'm never going to quit bein a hockey fan no matter what happens.
The league and the PA have clearly shown that they don't care what the fans think. How is it going to help going on strike? :shakehead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->