Fan Protest Once NHL Returns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site
What would be good ideas for a fan protest once the NHL returns. Here are a few of my ideas:

1) Nobody shows up for the first game back
2) Everybody shows up, but don't watch the game. They turn their backs and their backs face the ice surface.
3) The longest Boo in the history of sport
4) Nobody makes says a peep. A full arena, but dead silence.

Ar-too

Zealous Scrub
Jan 8, 2004
Columbus, OH
Psycho Joe said:
What would be good ideas for a fan protest once the NHL returns. Here are a few of my ideas:

2) Everybody shows up, but don't watch the game. They turn their backs and their backs face the ice surface.

How 'bout everybody calling up their hockey team and demanding their season ticket money back, as well as any PSL money, etc?

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I would like to see all fans negate any games for the first full month the nhl resumes to remind them who pays the bills.

Lateralous

Jun 17, 2003
Abington, PA
Visit site
How about not wasting your money to go to games anymore? I plan on watching plenty of hockey when it finally comes back, but it will all be at home on the TV. That way the NHL and NHLPA won't have to worry about dividing up my money 53%-47% or whatever they settle on.

krandor

Jan 28, 2005
Best way to send a message - go to AHL, ECHL, etc games instead of NHL games for a month or so once it comes back. You can still watch hockey, but not the groups responsible for this sad situation.

Mighty Duck

Jul 6, 2003
Visit site
Psycho Joe said:

No problem, but do you think everyone will care a year from now, because that is when the next game will be played.

hockeymistress

Oct 9, 2004
Psycho Joe said:

Go to the arena but don't buy a ticket to go inside. Sit outside or in the parking lot with signs. If enough people do it, media will show up in droves, and want to interview players and coaches on the way out.

H.

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site
hockeymistress said:
Go to the arena but don't buy a ticket to go inside. Sit outside or in the parking lot with signs. If enough people do it, media will show up in droves, and want to interview players and coaches on the way out.

H.
I like it. How about fan picket lines and not letting the players into the arena. Now that'll learn em.

Dr Love

Mar 22, 2002
Location, Location!
It would never work, and I don't know about you but I'm not about to buy a ticket to finally see a NHL game and then not watch it or not cheer. I'd give a long, loud boo when everyone comes out of the lockerrooms though.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
How about we burn down NHL HQs and NHLPA HQs? Ok that was a joke people dont take me serious please.

I know the NHL aint getting a cent of my money in there shopzone area for a good year....and I usually spend over 300 bucks there a year.

Crows*

I like my idea and am trying to organize it. Throw monopoly money on the ice or the first game back when they enter the ice before the anthems.

Flyers_UK

Mar 3, 2004
No one attending the first game would be a powerful message indeed. Idealy, i'm for it. The players and owners need to feel embassed at what they have done, and shamed into not repeating it. However, the negative media coverage might not be a good idea, and many season ticket holders will not want to sit out a game they've paid for.

Continual booing, at the very least, is in order.

How to organise it? Thoughout the hf boards, of course, but perhaps the hype surrounding Ek***d, could be used, for once, as an advantage.

A message on there would (unfortuantly) be read and analised worldwide.

If he's up for it, it could work.

cbjrocks

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
PhillyDevil said:
I plan on watching plenty of hockey when it finally comes back, but it will all be at home on the TV.

Sorry, but that is what they want you to do.

In Columbus, the Blue Jackets sell most of the commericals that air during a game (radio and TV). So, when Budweiser gives Columbus $1m a year in sponsor money, broadcast advertising is part of it.

What you should really do..

1. Don't go to games since this is still a gate driven league
2. Don't watch the games on TV.
3. Write a letter, send an email, make a phone call to any coporation what sponsors the NHL or your local team and tell them you will not buy their product.

On a national level, your impact may be small. Let's face it, Budweiser will not go under if you boycott their beer. But, find the local sponsor. Car dealer are good examples. Let them know how you feel. There is someone, who is writing that check to sponsor your team, that will pay attention.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Why would I protest when I am a thousand percent behind what the owners are up to? I do not like losing the season, but if we get a basis for a pretty level financial playing field and some stability such as football has and not have to go through this again in 6 years, that is a pretty fair trade off for me. It all depends on what the final CBA turns out to be as to what my final reaction will be, but so far, if the owners stick it out, I will not be protesting when they start up again.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
Jaded-Fan said:
Why would I protest when I am a thousand percent behind what the owners are up to? I do not like losing the season, but if we get a basis for a pretty level financial playing field and some stability such as football has and not have to go through this again in 6 years, that is a pretty fair trade off for me. It all depends on what the final CBA turns out to be as to what my final reaction will be, but so far, if the owners stick it out, I will not be protesting when they start up again.
Sanity

Once the NHL is back and rolling you'll all be back. If fans dont care enough to care about a lockout, are they going to care enough to protest the NHL?

Ridiculous... you guys wanna kill the sport more than its already dying? go protest. your world will fall on deaf ears.

hockeymistress

Oct 9, 2004
Flyers_UK said:
No one attending the first game would be a powerful message indeed. Idealy, i'm for it. The players and owners need to feel embassed at what they have done, and shamed into not repeating it. However, the negative media coverage might not be a good idea, and many season ticket holders will not want to sit out a game they've paid for.

Continual booing, at the very least, is in order.

How to organise it? Thoughout the hf boards, of course, but perhaps the hype surrounding Ek***d, could be used, for once, as an advantage.

A message on there would (unfortuantly) be read and analised worldwide.

If he's up for it, it could work.

The "hype" surrounding Eklund is his own invented hype. His claims of his number of hits a day, media outlets and how many people want to post on his blog (what, max 5 or 6 comments per update? oh, mind blowing) is exaggerated. That's part of his M.O.

He has a tiny, tiny fraction of the audience of HF, and then on top of that HF is just a small fraction of the hockey audience as a whole.

It would be nearly impossible to "contact" peripheral fans in various cities, unless you went to the *first* game and handed out a flyer or something saying "boycott the next game" or schedule the game to boycott.

H.

two out of three*

All it takes is one crazy fan to get the longest boo in professional sports history going.. How long will it take before we ever get to do that though?

Poignant Discussion*

I tell it like it is
Jul 18, 2003
Gatineau, QC
Crows said:
I like my idea and am trying to organize it. Throw monopoly money on the ice or the first game back when they enter the ice before the anthems.

Are you looking for a jail term or just probation?

That has got to be the dumbest idea I have ever read on this board

StevenintheATL

Jun 12, 2004
The ATL!
I think enough hockey fans will stay away anyway, so there's no need to put together some form of protest. If the 1995 MLB Strike is anything to go by, what fans that show up will be booing anyway. It took several seasons for MLB to recover, and it will probably take at least 5 years for the NHL to recover from this lockout. First Atlanta home game after the lockout is over, I'm there (If I don't have to work the next day) cheering as if the lockout never happened. It's not the majority of the players and owners to blame for the lockout, it's the actions of a few that are keeping the NHL on hold. It was only a portion of the owners paying the large contracts to players, and now it's only a few NHLPA people keeping the game locked out.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Psycho Joe said:

This would be the best thing to do if you want to make your point known. They could care less what you do if you buy the tickets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad