Fan loyalty poll

Fugu

exactly

personally i'm 20 years old and the last time the Wings missed the playoffs was....before I was even born

it does seem pretty weird that Montreal and Toronto aren't up there but seeing as how this is an american survey and we don't know where they are(just not in the top 5 so for all we know they could be 6th/7th or something) its understandable

how are the Rangers 20th though? :laugh: what is this even based on?

If we limit the discussion to US-based teams, then I would agree that my perception at least is that the Wings have the most loyal fan base. The players have often commented that they're amazed by the number of Wings jerseys they spot in crowds at away games. It really is significant. Many teams know they can count on their Wings visits to sell out (or nearly sell out) the arena for those games. The ones who practice premium pricing routinely ratchet up the ticket prices for the Wings visits.

Part of that ubiquity of fans in all corners (including Canada) is that Michigan has been a net exporter of residents. However these are often highly skilled/experienced and well-educated people. The pool of personnel in the engineering and massive corporation managerial roles available here is HUGE. As the local economy has shed jobs, people started moving out to more economically vibrant locations. Note that the state has two Big Ten universities, and numerous other educational options, which had been supported for decades by the sheer size of the auto industry and the constant demand for certain professions (plus all the ancillary professions to support those communities-- like doctors, lawyers, teachers, etc.).

The transplants have stayed loyal, for the primary part, to the Red Wings.

Locally, the team has just been part of the social fabric for 80+ years. They're homegrown, pre-dating pretty much anyone alive today. The years of recent success has to have helped, of course. It's a lot of different things, imo.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
Boston :laugh:

Year Attendance Rank
2000-01 15,432 22nd
2001-02 15,403 25th
2002-03 15,029 21st
2003-04 15,133 21st
2005-06 16,211 18th
2006-07 14,764 25th
2007-08 15,384 26th

What a bunch of loyal fans. Consistently in the bottom third of the league in attendance for most of the past decade. Only in the least three years have they even managed to crack the top half (and this year, they rank 16th).

cujoflutie

seems to have a boston bias.

sens and habs fans are even saying toronto should have cracked the top five. And New York Rangers number 20? Anaheim, Atlanta, Buffalo, Carolina, Columbus, Nashville, New Jersey, Long Island, Phoenix, Florida, Tampa Bay; those are 11 poor hockey markets and so according to this 'survey' at least one of those teams have more loyal fans than the Rangers? I wouldnt even put the 3rd place sharks ahead of the rangers.

nyrmetros

May 3, 2007
The poll also listed the Phillies as #1 in baseball or something like that. hahha

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
This poll must be based on numbers gathered from only a short handful of seasons and not looking into the bigger picture.

1. Im surprised the Suns are even in the top 5 overall for the NBAl. Sure they're are more Suns fan in AZ than the other 3 pro teams we have here but the Suns are no exception to the fareweather mentality in AZ. I say the Knicks have way more loyal fans than the Suns.

Looking at the list more.

Boston in the Top 5? Even though the North Stars relocated, I say the Wild have way more loyal fans than the Bruins.

Other thoughts

Green Bay and Pittsburgh should be ahead of New England
NY Giants should be greater than the Colts.

Cowboys not in the top 5?

Last edited:

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
Boston :laugh:

Year Attendance Rank
2000-01 15,432 22nd
2001-02 15,403 25th
2002-03 15,029 21st
2003-04 15,133 21st
2005-06 16,211 18th
2006-07 14,764 25th
2007-08 15,384 26th

What a bunch of loyal fans. Consistently in the bottom third of the league in attendance for most of the past decade. Only in the least three years have they even managed to crack the top half (and this year, they rank 16th).

While I agree with you on Boston I dont put much stock into the attendence numbers be ESPN for a number of resasons, especially since they are not a great indicator or loyalty.

1. They dont include tv ratings.
2. These numbers are based on paid attendence and not actual.
3. Not all arenas and stadiums have the same seating capasity, which means even if every teamin the NHL sold out 100% or better with standing room only( which not all arenas and stauiums have) not everyone can be #1. So I focus more on average %'s than anything else.
4. These numbers are based on only a small number of seasons collected and not the full history of the a sports league.
5. They dont tell you who the ones buying the tickets and breaking down the numbers, ie, Season ticket holders, fans of visiting fans, corportate sponsors, etc

The Bob Cole

Ohhhh Baby.
Apr 18, 2004
Centre Ice
I lived in Vancouver from 1998 to 2005 and they are definetly a BandWagon fan base. They do, of course, have a core fan group that is very large, in comparassion to many teams but give them 3 or more bad seasons and the change will be drastic.

Barely anyone was talking about the Nucks' back in 98-99. But now everyone and thier dog was a lifelong Canucks fan. :shakehead

Just with them being in the top 5, you know this poll is BS.

This is an exceptionally ignorant statement.

Just because the long-term generational ties do not exist currently, does not mean it is not being developed. I'd say the past decade has gone a long way in creating life-time Canuck fanatics in a new younger generation. Give it even more time and they will share the same lunacy as Canadiens fans. Canucks do hold the current active sell-out streak record and their wait list for season tickets is as long as the Leafs or Habs (if not longer (it used to be)).

Besides, loyalty is subjective and anyone trying to measure or claim their team has a more loyal fanbase is being ridiculous. There is no way to accurately measure this. And for that matter... who really cares all that much? I just go and support my team play hockey.
Mod: deleted.

Last edited by a moderator:

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
This is an exceptionally ignorant statement.

Just because the long-term generational ties do not exist currently, does not mean it is not being developed. I'd say the past decade has gone a long way in creating life-time Canuck fanatics in a new younger generation. Give it even more time and they will share the same lunacy as Canadiens fans. Canucks do hold the current active sell-out streak record and their wait list for season tickets is as long as the Leafs or Habs (if not longer (it used to be)).

No, you don't.

Toronto holds the longest sell out streak and as for the wait list, Toronto's is over 100 years long.

CloakroomCrusader

Dec 3, 2005
Columbus
If the Chicago Cubs aren't in there for most loyal fans, then this entire study is null and void. That ANYONE goes to Cubs games is an impressive feat in and of itself.

The Bob Cole

Ohhhh Baby.
Apr 18, 2004
Centre Ice
No, you don't.

Toronto holds the longest sell out streak and as for the wait list, Toronto's is over 100 years long.

Yes, we do. It is the longest current active streak.

http://on.fb.me/gqlDI0

In fact, technically Toronto did not sell out some Corporate Suites earlier this year and therefore their count should be reset

In the NHL, the Canucks are one of only two teams across the 300—threshold. They are joined at that level by the Toronto Maple Leafs, who have sold out 310 consecutive games at the Air Canada (although Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment has admitted leaving a few corporate suites left unsold earlier this season).

Last edited:

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
-A sellout would include luxury suites - which the Leafs apparently did not sell out earlier this year.

- What?:laugh: Whatever you say.

How do we know Vancouver sold out every luxury suite during these 300-some games? We don't. Statistics aren't kept on what luxury suites are sold and which are not.

As for the computer glitch, you may not believe it, but it happened. MLSE had a new counting software in 2002 or 2003 and they had a couple problems with it. Richard Peddie has said that the Leafs have never not sold out in his life time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad