Fan Etiquette - our experience in sec 202 tonight

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
Here's what you all need to understand. We're playing hockey in a football state. If Pekka makes a fabulous save you better believe I'm going to be standing up applauding. We are passionate. You passive hockey fans make me sick. If you tell me to sit down when the team just did something that deserves applause I will politely tell you to kick rocks. I paid to be here just as much as you.

I see what you're saying but there's a time and place to do it. If you're in the front row, why do you need to stand during play? It's not like you're getting a better vantage point. In doing so, you're ruining the experience for all the people behind you that have the right to watch the play as much as you do. There's a difference between passionate and being a courteous fans to others around you. Stand during an ovation after a goal or after some great play and the puck is stopped but once the play resumes, sit back down, it makes it more enjoyable for everyone involved.

And here's another point of interest, that's one of the biggest reasons I don't go to football games. Everyone is standing up every time something happens on the field. It's worse than being in a place of worship with the up and down all game long. Do people go to movies and stand up and sit down because of what was going on in the movie? No. So why do we do it during games?

Be passionate. Cheer for your team. Go nuts during play stoppages. Stand up after goals. You can still yell from your seat while playing is going on. When play starts or something happens, if you stand up, it blocks others who are trying to watch the same action you are.

And this post wasn't directed at you personally. Just giving some perspective from others that are passionate as well but respect others that around me.

BTW, I love to swear and used to at games but if there are kids are around, I tighten up the language as a respect thing. Sure, I paid my money to do what I like at a game but I'm also aware of my surroundings and sometimes I still slip up but if there are kids are around, I'm much more behaved. This coming from a guy from NY.

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
I see what you're saying but there's a time and place to do it. If you're in the front row, why do you need to stand during play? It's not like you're getting a better vantage point. In doing so, you're ruining the experience for all the people behind you that have the right to watch the play as much as you do. There's a difference between passionate and being a courteous fans to others around you. Stand during an ovation after a goal or after some great play and the puck is stopped but once the play resumes, sit back down, it makes it more enjoyable for everyone involved.

And here's another point of interest, that's one of the biggest reasons I don't go to football games. Everyone is standing up every time something happens on the field. It's worse than being in a place of worship with the up and down all game long. Do people go to movies and stand up and sit down because of what was going on in the movie? No. So why do we do it during games?

Be passionate. Cheer for your team. Go nuts during play stoppages. Stand up after goals. You can still yell from your seat while playing is going on. When play starts or something happens, if you stand up, it blocks others who are trying to watch the same action you are.

And this post wasn't directed at you personally. Just giving some perspective from others that are passionate as well but respect others that around me.

BTW, I love to swear and used to at games but if there are kids are around, I tighten up the language as a respect thing. Sure, I paid my money to do what I like at a game but I'm also aware of my surroundings and sometimes I still slip up but if there are kids are around, I'm much more behaved. This coming from a guy from NY.

In football there has to be a lot of standing up and sitting because that 60 minute bore fest takes 4 hours to play. People would be getting DVT if they tried to sit that long..

Nashvols

Jun 8, 2011
Nashville
In football there has to be a lot of standing up and sitting because that 60 minute bore fest takes 4 hours to play. People would be getting DVT if they tried to sit that long..

There's a fairly fundamental difference between college and pro sports. I attended 34 UT home games as a student, and in the lower level of the student section, where you were close to the action, you were expected to stand for pretty much the entire game, minus TV timeouts and halftime. In the upper deck (some student seats were scattered there, too), it depended on what the other sections around you did. The biggest concentration close to the front of the deck would stand, but some sections on the fringes did not. A lot depended on the opponent, excitement level of the game, and how many 'old folks' were in your section.

Pro football is a different story.

Back to the OP -- like others have said, you did nothing wrong. The general rule is to do what others are doing -- and after a few games, it's not that hard to figure out. Typically, you stand when there is a stoppage (i.e. after a huge save, or a period of sustained pressure on attack, and obviously for sustained times after a goal, and the usual TV timeout in the 3rd when everyone tries to pump up the team).

As has been mentioned, don't stand during a live puck UNLESS it's one of those momentum times when most everyone is standing (usually briefly). Killing a 5 on 3 is one of those rare instances. If the people behind you don't like it, then just rip a huge fart.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Guess this is the big difference from being down low and getting your start up in the 300's. If there is something I feel like cheering for I'm going to freaking do it, if you don't like it then you can kiss my ass. I don't care if David Poile was sitting behind me, he could kiss it too. Its a sporting event, not afternoon tea with the Queen.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Guess this is the big difference from being down low and getting your start up in the 300's. If there is something I feel like cheering for I'm going to freaking do it, if you don't like it then you can kiss my ass. I don't care if David Poile was sitting behind me, he could kiss it too. Its a sporting event, not afternoon tea with the Queen.

I think even the Queen would have stood to royal clap the 5 on 3 kill.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Some people just have a burr in their butt for no reason. It's a freaking hockey game you are supposed to cheer!!!

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
All I have to say is there is a reason we have a jumbotron. If you don't want to stand up, watch the jumbotron for the 1 minute or so that people are cheering.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad