Fan 590 Reports Players Are Angry

Status
Not open for further replies.

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site
Wetcoaster said:
Read the law. The voluntary recognition exception to the need for a union to be certified to be covered by the labour code brings in the ban on replacement woorkers in BC and Quebec.

The opinions were wrong because they ignored the excetion to the general rule.

I suggest you moderate your language.
What is up with suggesting someone moderate their language? Are you his mom? If so I don't really see anything to wash his mouth with soap over.

Wetcoaster

Larionov said:
Should the issue of replacement workers become a problem in Quebec or BC, exactly how many hours do you think it would take for the respective governments to change the law? Not many. It is clear to most reasonable people that a "replacement worker" ban was never meant to cover wealthy independent contractors, which is what NHL players clearly are. (They have proven that fact abundantly with the exodus to Europe.) Therefore, you can reasonably expect the Liberal governments in both provinces to act pretty quickly. Further, it's tough to imagine that either the PQ opposition in Quebec or the NDP in BC would spend much political capital to oppose it. Where are the votes in holding up the start of NHL hockey and going to bat for the 'PA? There aren't any.
It was already applied to ban replacement players in MLB in Quebec and Ontario in 1994.

The players are not independent contractors - they are employees.

Wetcoaster

txomisc said:
What is up with suggesting someone moderate their language? Are you his mom? If so I don't really see anything to wash his mouth with soap over.
Then I suggest that you familiarize yourself with the posting rules.

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site
Wetcoaster said:
Oh ok well thanks for the tip. The main idea though is that there is nothing in that post any different from what happens hundreds of times a day here. Does it violate rules? Maybe. Are those rules stricly enforced? Clearly not. You've been guilty of similar things yourself.

Old Hickory

Wetcoaster said:
I suggest you don't play moderator. If a post violates HF rules report it.

Hockeymomma

Feb 12, 2005
Toronto
Lots of pseudo-lawyers here - Westcoaster is 100% correct. The NHLPA is a trade union and is voluntarily recognized under Canadian laws and it doesn't matter if they make a million dollars a minute. The NHL recognizes them as the "union" and that is all that matters.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Wetcoaster said:

I suggest you do the same.

5) Playing the Role of Moderator: you're not a moderator so don't correct posters like one. If you have a problem with a post, use the "Report This Post" button, rather than playing the parent. More often than not, that causes more problems than it fixes. Let us handle what is ours to handle.

Lanny MacDonald*

Wetcoaster said:
Read the law. The voluntary recognition exception to the need for a union to be certified to be covered by the labour code brings in the ban on replacement woorkers in BC and Quebec.

The opinions were wrong because they ignored the excetion to the general rule.

I suggest you moderate your language.

Oh, I'm sorry. Did that hit a little too close to home Johnnie Cochrane? I shared my opinion, and IMO your legal expertise borders on that of Larry Brooks journalistic skills (hack). You're in direct conflict with experts who who have worked directly for the NLRB. As well you ignore the fact that the province of Quebec does not acknowledge the NHLPA as a union, so they do not fall under the protections of any labor laws or opinions you cut and paste. So forgive me if I do not bow down and worship at your feet, but as a legal expert you make a great blogger. That is my opinion, feel free to report that.

:shakehead

Hockeymomma

Feb 12, 2005
Toronto
The NLRB has acknowledged the NHLPA as a union for decades and does cases for them. I don't know about Quebec but in the Ontario and BC legislation the NHLPA is "volunarily regognized" because the NHL recognizes them as the "trade union". Fill your boots with players from the NAHL and have fun inthe Centre Bell - should be great games... :bow:

IslesRule

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
19bruins19 said:
I agree. Who cares about the Yankees? :joker:

I really think Baseball and Hockey have something in common, they both over-expanded. In 1969 MLB had 24 teams and the NHL had 12. In 1969 most MLB teams had 4 starting pitchers, meaning at the most inportant position in MLB, pithcing, there were 96 players. Today there are 30 teams with 5 starters each, or 150 starters, or 54 pithcers that would have never played ijust 35 years ago. Hockey is similar, although the number of teams at 12 was not enough 30 is certainly to many. In a perfect world, there should be no more than 20 NHL teams, which means about 230 players would be gone. That would lower salaries, simple supply and demand. Both sports must do something to solve the problem, which is a lot bigger issue in Hockey, simply because of the revenues. The NHL owners are to blame for getting the league in this position, but the players are also to blame because they fail to recognize it.

By the way, I am a Yankee fan, and I do realize baseball is broken, but remember this, the last baseball CBA, the Yankees were the only team to vote against it, because the Luxury tax would not be earmarked for salaries. Teams like the Reds put that money in their pockets. One reason a Tax would be ineffective.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
PeterSidorkiewicz said:
On the issue of Gary Bettman I will never ever support what he does. First off isnt Gary Bettman Mr. Big bad basketball guy? WHY doesn't he offer up the the NBA's soft cap system, has anyone once even TALKED about a soft cap ever? This is the system im actually in favour of, something like the NBA's and it seems this method is being completely ignored by both sides. Secondly, it's easy for a commish to do what the owners want him to do in the instance of this CBA, but how about the past 10 years of Bettman helping run the NHL into the ground? Was that all the owners telling him what to do as well? If it was then these guys definitely should NOT be owning anything sports related. Whether the cap is implemented or not Bettman should be FIRED because the NHL commissioner needs to be a man passionate about the actual SPORT of hockey and the game, not just passionate about the economic structure. And I think everyone will agree with me Bettman is not even close to being passionate about a game in which I think this sport needs a passionate commissioner more than any other.
To Gary's defense - He wants what's going to be "best for hockey"/best for his constituents. Just because he worked under David Stern doesnt mean he'd hold allegiances towards basketball. And anyways, Basketball adn Hockey are two different animals to tame... Just because one system sounds right for one sport doesnt necessarily mean that it'd be good for all.

dawgbone

Jun 24, 2002
Scugs said:
I know when the Yankee's come to the SkyDome (Rogers Centre... :shakehead ) it's almost a sold out crowd. Mostly consisting of Yankee fans but hey, who cares. Money is money, and the Jays need alot of it. The Yankee's know what they are doing, and are paying dearly for it. The fact remains though, that they can afford what they are doing. So I don't have any type of grudge against them.

The Question that needs to be asked is would the Jays be better off if they could attract those types of crowds for their other 71 games?

It's an argument that gets brought out a lot... don't complain, when the Yankees come to town (or the Redsox), your team sells out and gets money.

That's great... but there are a tonne of home games not played against those teams that people don't go and see because they know it's pointless... in the end, it's going to be Boston and New York... the rest is just fodder.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
futurcorerock said:
To Gary's defense - He wants what's going to be "best for hockey"/best for his constituents. Just because he worked under David Stern doesnt mean he'd hold allegiances towards basketball. And anyways, Basketball adn Hockey are two different animals to tame... Just because one system sounds right for one sport doesnt necessarily mean that it'd be good for all.

Best for hockey, expanding at too rapidly of a pace just so the rest of the owners could split up that nice fat expansion franchise fee. Not to mention a horrible marketing of the game. How much money did the NHL put into its marketing for the past couple of years, next to absolutely nothing? I'm sorry but I feel there is NO excuse nor NO defense for Gary Bettman. He's a pipsqueak smug weasel who should be removed immediately. And I don't care if people are siding with him just because they feel the players are completely wrong on the cap issue, deep down every single person knows Bettman in his 10 years has done nothing good for the game and his tenure as commish should be over. It's time for someone else to give it a shot, he sure as hell cannot do worse than Bettman did.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Didnt revenues almost go up in everything cause of the economy in the 90's? Tell me why if he is so good for the NHL no one has anything good to say about the league? All people do is complain complain complain. Complain about player salaries, complain about the on ice product, complain no one watches and no one cares. Complain about the glow puck, complain about the instigator rule, complain about clutching and grabbing, complain about watered down talent. Also, if Gary Bettman is such a great commissioner, why are we at this point where we are talking about the NHL dying for good? How can anyone say outloud "Gary Bettman is good for the NHL" and keep a straight face while doing so? Nothing bad at ALL can happen from Bettman getting canned, NOTHING.

bling

Jun 23, 2004
nomorekids said:
if "nothing good" is quadrupling revenues, then by all means, i hope "nothing good" happens to me, this year.

Quadrupling revenues kinda loses it's cachet when your expenses have quintupled.
(As must be the case or the league would not be losing the vast sums of money they claim to be losing)

Wetcoaster

kingsjohn said:
I suggest you don't play moderator. If a post violates HF rules report it.
Fine. I will do so in future.

You can expect a fairly hefty inbox.

myrocketsgotcracked

PeterSidorkiewicz said:
Didnt revenues almost go up in everything cause of the economy in the 90's? Tell me why if he is so good for the NHL no one has anything good to say about the league? All people do is complain complain complain. complain about player salaries so its bettman's fault that holik and guerin get $9M/year?, complain about the on ice product so its bettman's fault that the devils have success playing the trap and other teams start imitating them?, complain no one watches and no one cares. Complain about the glow puck so its bettman's fault for trying something innovative to try to attract more fans? , complain about the instigator rule, complain about clutching and grabbing, complain about watered down talent. Also, if Gary Bettman is such a great commissioner, why are we at this point where we are talking about the NHL dying for good? How can anyone say outloud "Gary Bettman is good for the NHL" and keep a straight face while doing so? Nothing bad at ALL can happen from Bettman getting canned, NOTHING.
also, your claim that bettman never watch a hockey game in his life before being hired as the commissioner of nhl makes little sense. imagine his interview.
bettman: hi, im gary bettman, not a hockey fan, never watch a hockey game in my life, hire me.
im not here suggesting that bettman is a great commissioner for the nhl, but like others have posted, he did qualdriple the nhl revenue and brings hockey to more US people, while doing all he can do to keep as many canadian hockey team in canada as possible, and that cant be underestimate.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Hey guys, think for a second. If NHL declares an impasse and replacement players can be used everwhere else except Quebec and BC, how long do you think it takes for those two provinces to change the laws??

I mean THINK about it, any Quebec government which tells it's people "sorry this current legislation prevents Habs from playing and we're not going to do anything about it" can disband itself immediately because they don't have any future in politics and most likely their personal physical wellbeing is also in danger.

There will be changes in legislation in nanoseconds if it's the only thing keeping Habs from playing.

YellHockey*

The Iconoclast said:
Oh, I'm sorry. Did that hit a little too close to home Johnnie Cochrane? I shared my opinion, and IMO your legal expertise borders on that of Larry Brooks journalistic skills (hack). You're in direct conflict with experts who who have worked directly for the NLRB.

Which experts are those?

Or is this just another attempt of yours to slander anyone who can intelligently explain why they do not support ownership? Why do you always seem to do that to the users here who bring the most to the discussions?

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
BlackRedGold said:
Which experts are those?

Or is this just another attempt of yours to slander anyone who can intelligently explain why they do not support ownership? Why do you always seem to do that to the users here who bring the most to the discussions?

Oh the irony.... :shakehead :shakehead

ResidentAlien*

If i didnt know better, I'd say Gary & Bob have multiple screen names here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->