Fan 590: No Chance of Futher Meetings After Talking with NHLPA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doctor Zoidberg

Feb 16, 2005
Jobu said:
Saskin, Linden, Damphousse express disappointment that no movement from owners and no meaningful revenue sharing was proposed. No talks will take place and all are returning home.

Good. Hope they like linkage with a 32 million upper cap limit.

Lanny'sDaMan

Feb 19, 2005
Calgary
Unbelieveable. Actually no, completely believable. I just Knew that this would happen again. No way anyone involved in this cares about the true source of Revenue for the nhl, us the patsy fans.

<The following two paragraphs have been censored due to graphic language.>

And thats what I haveto say to the NHL and the NHLPA.

sidelines

Are the players really that stupid to see that the NHL isn't going to back down? Damnit this is frustrating.

Crows*

Mr. Newsflash Man said:
Are the players really that stupid to see that the NHL is going to back down? Damnit this is frustrating.

They are that stupid. And as someone elluded before "hope they like the 32 mill cap" which will be imposed on them.

ZadorovNJD*

I wish the NHL would just come out and say "if we don't have a deal in place by August, we'll impose a $32M cap with linkage and bring in replacement players." I don't care if the PA whines about an ultimatum blah blah blah...they can go play in Europe for 10% of their NHL salary for all I care.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Im still PUZZLED how people can continue to support the NHL. The NHLPA has continued to show they are the only ones willing to negoitate. First they wanted a luxary tax..they then said ok...well take a Cap at 52...now they want a 45 million cap....the NHL just wont move. Its sad. We would be watching hockey right now if it wasnt for these stupid owners who caused this mess and now are willing to destroy the league over a few million bucks. Its a shame.

All the NHL has moved from is a 38 million cap to a 42.5 million cap in 5 months. Im not even going to bring up the No Linkage since Bettman had said that was off the table.

OilerNut*

FLYLine4LIFE said:
Im still PUZZLED how people can continue to support the NHL. The NHLPA has continued to show they are the only ones willing to negoitate. First they wanted a luxary tax..they then said ok...well take a Cap at 52...now they want a 45 million cap....the NHL just wont move. Its sad. We would be watching hockey right now if it wasnt for these stupid owners who caused this mess and now are willing to destroy the league over a few million bucks. Its a shame.

All the NHL has moved from is a 38 million cap to a 42.5 million cap in 5 months. Im not even going to bring up the No Linkage since Bettman had said that was off the table.

What do you expect the NHL to offer something that they can't afford to give?

Meanashell11

Jan 3, 2003
Greenwich CT
Visit site
FLYLine4LIFE said:

I support the owners because there will be no NHL if the numbers dont work. Just because they have not met in the middle does not mean the league has not done its part. The fact is the PA thought they were bluffing, always believing the NHL would back down but the league knew where the line in the sand is and so would the players if they ever looked at the books.

Crows*

^Exactly

This last week proves everything the owners have said about how much trouble they were in.

And shows the true lies. and refusal by the union to aknowledge that the league is in trouble.

Greschner4

Jan 21, 2005
The thing I'm wondering is how several legitimate hockey writers all could have reported that a deal was practically done and the comments after the meeting sound like they were hung up on the same issues they've always been hung up on.

It looks like what happened today was just another failed negotiation when it sounded like it was just going to be a rubber stamp and a coronation.

If I'm the big market owners, I'm looking to go out on my own at this point. That the real franchises should allow their businesses to be suspended for jokes like Nashville and Florida is preposterous.

vanlady

Nov 3, 2004
Weiser Wonder said:
The PA has no leverage, this is really incredibly stupid. Accept the 40/42.5 mill guys because that's the best you're getting.

If you listened to team1040 you would have heard the labor lawyer on there say that the NHL basically have no chance at impasse now. They also gave a very good leverage point. The PA is going to watch teams go bankrupt and wait until a lot of the league is in financial trouble.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
OilerNut said:
What do you expect the NHL to offer something that they can't afford to give?

45 they can support....its just 5 or 6 teams complaining. Its not like they even have to spend that much. Its a joke that less then a 1/3 of the teams have more say then the majority.

Greschner4

Jan 21, 2005
vanlady said:
If you listened to team1040 you would have heard the labor lawyer on there say that the NHL basically have no chance at impasse now. They also gave a very good leverage point. The PA is going to watch teams go bankrupt and wait until a lot of the league is in financial trouble.

Right, the union is going to watch passively as their employers disappear one by one. Now that's a smart strategy.

SuperUnknown

Mar 14, 2002
Visit site
Greschner4 said:
Right, the union is going to watch passively as their employers disappear one by one. Now that's a smart strategy.

Who said the union leadership was smart? Certainly doesn't seem that way so far. Besides, the doom and gloom about teams disappearing is just that. I don't see why teams would go bankrupt more without playing than with playing at a loss.

MrMackey

Aug 7, 2003
cgy
Visit site
FLYLine4LIFE said:

I'm PUZZLED that you're surprised.

The NHL was VERY clear at the start of the negotiations what they were looking for. I can't blame them for offering something very close to their final offer at the start... that's what the PA should've done. Everyone knew where this would end up.

Why are the pro-PA people constantly surprised when the NHL keeps coming back with the same statements and positions, when its the PA that's changing its stance every 5 minutes despite seemingly knowing the outcome?

The escalators the players offered in their last proposal negated the whole idea of a cap... so they never really offered much of a hard cap (let alone the whole 2 exception deal). The owners moved from $32 to 42.5M.

greatlakeshab

Jan 26, 2005
"Right, the union is going to watch passively as their employers disappear one by one. Now that's a smart strategy."

And management is much smarter throwing away $200 million dollar franchises. Both sides are dumb in their thinking. I don't think ESPN will even broadcast games anymore. The owners just lost more revenue.

SuperUnknown

Mar 14, 2002
Visit site
greatlakeshab said:
"Right, the union is going to watch passively as their employers disappear one by one. Now that's a smart strategy."

And management is much smarter throwing away $200 million dollar franchises. Both sides are dumb in their thinking. I don't think ESPN will even broadcast games anymore. The owners just lost more revenue.

The franchises that would "disappear" are not worth $200M. The franchises that would "disappear" are worth at most $50M right now, but most probably are really worth $0M because nobody wants a business that will only accumulate losses for years and years.

Anyway, like I said, I doubt that teams go bankrupt losing $7-10M/year when most of them were losing that playing. Why would they go bankrupt now if they didn't through the years before?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad