Famous moments that happened the same time as big games

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
During SB 33 halftime, the Rock lost the belt to Mankind in an empty arena match.

On May 31st, 1998, the Bulls beat the Pacers in game 7. That happened to be the same night that Dude Love accidentally hit McMahon with a chair. Austin then used McMahon's hand for the three count. And win.

On Monday September 10th, 2001 the Broncos beat the Giants. But they lost Ed McCaffrey to a gruesome injury. Sportscasters called it a devistating blow. Unfortunately, the word "Devistating" would very much be put into perspective approximately 10 hours later.

On Sunday October 13th 2013, Brady threw a TD with mere seconds remaining to beat the Saints. Down the road a few hours later, Ortiz hit a game tying grand slam. Red Sox won. No doubt this was the turning point of the series. Tigers are up 2-0 headed home with a win there. (Side note: The 2009-2014 Tigers were absolutely stacked. To not win a single WS game during that timeframe is mind boggling).

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
Roy Halladay of the Philadelphia Phillies pitched a PERFECT GAME on the same night as Game 1 of the 2009-2010 Stanley Cup Finals between the Philadelphia Flyers and the Chicago Blackhawks. That was a wild night in Philly.

Saw more Richards jerseys than I thought possible that day sitting at Pat's. Philly is such a hockey town. I has Phillies tickets back then and it was great and all, but you could tell that the real party was happening whenever the Flyers were in town.

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
October 10 1984- the San Diego Padres win the only WS game in franchise history.

Less than 24 hours later, Mario Lemieux scores his first goal on his first shot in his first shift in his first game

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
5/25/1997

The Flyers beat the Rangers to win the Eastern Conference title in 5 games in what would be the last NYR playoff game for nearly a decade, Gretzky/Messier's last playoff appearances ever, and the high point of the Eric Lindros era.

(Also, outside of the 1995 Devils' Cup clincher, it was the only time a series clinching win in the conference finals/cup finals (rounds 3/4) aired on FOX.)

That same day, Eddie Johnson hit one of the more memorable NBA playoff buzzer beaters

brachyrynchos

Apr 10, 2017
February 28, 1978:
Guy Lafleur has the best game of his career, 6 points (3g 3a) in a 9-3 win vs Detroit in Montreal.
That same night, a 20 something high school dropout that was living above a family's garage came to the rescue of one of his teenage friends. Richie Cunningham was going to be abducted by Mork from Ork but was stopped by the power of Fonzie. Season 5 Episode 22 of Happy Days.
Lafleur would continue to have a great career, Fonzie would go on to become a teacher and a quite generous one, he gave out alot of A's. (Sorry).

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
February 28, 1978:
Guy Lafleur has the best game of his career, 6 points (3g 3a) in a 9-3 win vs Detroit in Montreal.
That same night, a 20 something high school dropout that was living above a family's garage came to the rescue of one of his teenage friends. Richie Cunningham was going to be abducted by Mork from Ork but was stopped by the power of Fonzie. Season 5 Episode 22 of Happy Days.
Lafleur would continue to have a great career, Fonzie would go on to become a teacher and a quite generous one, he gave out alot of A's. (Sorry).
Supposedly Henry Winkler and Tortorella are lookalikes...
kgko25xmnqj13ue259ml.jpeg

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
Philly is THE Hockey town.
Pretty crazy but it's definitely true. I can't think of an American city that devoted with that much history. The Sabres get a lot of love, but when the Bills are winning, we really can put them on the backburner, especially these days....In Philly, it's just so weird to have conversations with anyone, from any walk of life, and they know the team. That's rare for such a big city.

I'd honestly say Philly, Boston, Buffalo, Detroit, and Pitt are the only American cites that care that much about their hockey team. But Philly has the advantage. Boston loves the Bruins but they have too many contenders to become fully invested. Detroit is with Buffalo in terms of recent struggles, but they definitely still care in both cities. Pittsburgh is a great sports town in general and Crosby is as big as Roehtlisberger there. But yeah, Philly is the most knowledgeable and depraved fan base I've come across. Hate the Legion of Doom but appreciate how much you guys care.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Pretty crazy but it's definitely true. I can't think of an American city that devoted with that much history. The Sabres get a lot of love, but when the Bills are winning, we really can put them on the backburner, especially these days....In Philly, it's just so weird to have conversations with anyone, from any walk of life, and they know the team. That's rare for such a big city.

I'd honestly say Philly, Boston, Buffalo, Detroit, and Pitt are the only American cites that care that much about their hockey team. But Philly has the advantage. Boston loves the Bruins but they have too many contenders to become fully invested. Detroit is with Buffalo in terms of recent struggles, but they definitely still care in both cities. Pittsburgh is a great sports town in general and Crosby is as big as Roehtlisberger there. But yeah, Philly is the most knowledgeable and depraved fan base I've come across. Hate the Legion of Doom but appreciate how much you guys care.

i would definitely add minneapolis/st paul. i remember a decade ago, i was in some random part of the midwest and drove out to detroit to catch them playing the canucks. it wasn’t just datsyuk, zetterberg, and lidstrom jerseys. you had helm jerseys, abdelkader, cleary, so many holmstroms and kronwalls and maltbys.

among players not on the team at the time it wasn’t just yzerman. a lot of mccartys, which i guess is not that surprising, drapers and even maltbys, saw at least one lapointe and one burr, as well as the usual shanahans, fedorovs, osgoods, and multiple konstantinovs. i was like, i hate almost all of those deep cuts but major respect for going that deep (shawn burr....) you won’t ever see a momesso jersey in vancouver.

if you ever are at a wild game, it’s much the same. random wild players from the early 2000s that no one outside minnesota even remembers (can you imagine seeing an antti laaksonen jersey in 2015? i have). guys in throwback north stars dave gagner and mark tinordi jerseys, the twin cities know their stuff.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
There are teams, that play in the same garden as an NBA team. Were there in the history a game day, when both of them in the single day won their decisive playoff game? I cant imagine an title game, that probably never happen.

Nets and Devils came close twice in 2003. The Devils won their 2nd round series against the Lightning on May 2nd, the Nets won their first round series against the Bucks on May 1st. Later on, both teams won their respective Eastern Conference title 1 day apart.

Best I can find.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
The day before Game 1 of the Summit Series in 1972, Boris Spassky resigned in his match against Bobby Fischer - making Fischer the World Chess Champion.

I always found it ironic that the two events were so close to each other. In one, the Soviets were challenging a North American country that had long been considered the best in the world at a particular sport; in the other, the Soviets lost the championship of a sport they had dominated for decades to a North American.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

From my experience Chicago would be on that list as well. Always see people wearing Blackhawks stuff, I'm sure the last decade has helped that + Wirtz Sr passing away but they are an O6 team after all. Pre-Jordan the Bulls were awful so I feel like more people paid attention to the Hawks (especially with Hull, Mikita, Tony O and then Savard as star players).

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
12/2/1995

On the same day as DET 11 MTL 1 AKA Patrick Roy's last game with Montreal, the final game in Southwest Conference Football (which began in 1914 and mostly consisted of schools from the state of Texas save for Arkansas) took place between Texas and Texas A&M

Reactions: quoipourquoi

quoipourquoi

Goaltender
Jan 26, 2009
Hockeytown, MI
12/2/1995

On the same day as DET 11 MTL 1 AKA Patrick Roy's last game with Montreal, the final game in Southwest Conference Football (which began in 1914 and mostly consisted of schools from the state of Texas save for Arkansas) took place between Texas and Texas A&M

Also monumental: I saw the Houston Aeros vs. the Detroit Vipers that day, and my row won Vipers hockey pucks. Or at least they would have had I realized they expected me to pass the vouchers down the entire row before the raffle, so what instead happened was that I won all of the Vipers hockey pucks.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Hm, one could think, that everybody birthday is a famous moment, isnt it? What game occurred at your birthdays? If you know also exactly the time, maybe there is a coincidence, that someone shoot a goal in that moment.

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
12/26/1993

Mike Gartner joined the 600 goal club (at the time, he was the 6th player to do so).

That same day, we saw the first Lambeau Leap

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->