Famous moments that happened the same time as big games

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
It got me thinking, the 1994 Cup final was at the same time as the O.J. fiasco in 1994. Game 7 between the Nucks and Rangers happened on June 14th while on June 12th Nicole Simpson and Ron Goldman were found dead and O.J. comes home June 13th to his mansion from Chicago. That was the day his buddy Robert Kardashian somehow managed to sneak his luggage away from the cops before they saw it. That happens, and then Game 7 happens the next night. Ironically the white Bronco chase happened on June 17th the same day as Game 5 of the NBA final. Just hard to believe that at the same time everyone was watching the O.J. fiasco unfold there were two very close championships being decided in sports.

Sammy Davis Jr. died the same day as Game 1 of the triple overtime game in 1990 between the Oilers and Bruins. Technically Klima's goal was scored the day he died.

"The Shining" was released in theatres a day before Bob Nystrom's overtime goal to start the Isles dynasty in 1980

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
On Sunday, December 7th 1941 Pearl Harbor was attacked and news of it reached New York by the early afternoon when only two things were set to be broadcast on NBC that day (the early days of television): an afternoon comedy film and an evening hockey game between the New York Rangers and Boston Bruins at Madison Square Garden. NBC didn't broadcast the game that night but instead had news reports and rival CBS had its first ever Sunday broadcast to cover the news.

I recall reading (it was in a book about the history of hockey in the New York area, can't recall the title at the moment) that there was a discussion about whether to cancel the game that evening but the decision in the end was to play it.

Reactions: vikash1987

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
During the last two games of the 1984 cup finals tragedy struck in Alaska when Michael Silka went on a spree and killed 6 people om may 17 and Silka was shot dead the same day of the last game, may 19th.

147 people die when a british and a yugoslavian airplane collide in yugoslavia during Canada Cup 1976. Dont know if a big game was played that day tho.

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
Sort of personal memory. I wasn´t young kid, but still a teenager.

Early San Jose Sharks is basically only team that I have ever really rooted for in NHL. And I remember when I woke up in morning and the first thing was tp check how the 7. game against Red Wings in 1994 Playoffs had ended. It felt unbelievable that they actually won. That was May Day. Later that day Ayrton Senna died in Imola race. Remember watching that with friends and when the announcement came later we were all shocked how could the best driver in the world die. Overall it was depressing race.

Maybe not overall historically that important things, but it still is one of those days from which you remember lot of details.

Last edited:

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Roy Halladay of the Philadelphia Phillies pitched a PERFECT GAME on the same night as Game 1 of the 2009-2010 Stanley Cup Finals between the Philadelphia Flyers and the Chicago Blackhawks. That was a wild night in Philly.

ICM1970

Jan 29, 2012
Ottawa, ON
The night Bill Barilko scored his famous Cup winning goal for the Leafs on April 21 1951 was the same night (across Lake Ontario in Rochester at the War Memorial Auditorium) the NBA Rochester Royals won their first (and only to date) championship. This drought has followed the Royals/Kings franchise through their times as the Rochester/Cincinnati Royals/ Kansas City/(now) Sacramento Kings.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
John Gacy was executed the same day as the Rangers clinched the conference semifinals in 1994.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Shannen Doherty's last episode on Beverly Hills 90210 aired the same night as Game 6 of the Rangers/Devils East Finals where Mark Messier famously scored a third period hat trick after guaranteeing a NYR win

...I don't even...

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
May 2, 1967

Leafs win the Cup.... app 40 Black Panthers armed to the teeth stormed their way into the California House of Representatives in Sacramento who were debating a gun control law that would forbid anyone from carrying a loaded firearm in public (excluding police, military, those duly authorized). After a standoff & debate, the Black Panthers surrendering their weapons, no arrests were made, guns returned to their owners.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Roy Halladay of the Philadelphia Phillies pitched a PERFECT GAME on the same night as Game 1 of the 2009-2010 Stanley Cup Finals between the Philadelphia Flyers and the Chicago Blackhawks. That was a wild night in Philly.

As a non-baseball fan I didn't know how rare it is to pitch a perfect game so I looked it up. It's only been done 23 times in MLB and 21 times in modern era, which is 117!!! years. 2012 saw three separate perfect games and 2010 had two. 2009 & 2004 had one each makin the total in 7 which is one third of all in modern era.

Another interesting non-NHL note, there was 10,267 people attending the game in 1904 in Boston. That seems pretty darn respectable number to me.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Shannen Doherty's last episode on Beverly Hills 90210 aired the same night as Game 6 of the Rangers/Devils East Finals where Mark Messier famously scored a third period hat trick after guaranteeing a NYR win
Didn't Dylan McKay shave his sideburns in that episode too? That was groundbreaking.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf

Oh, I know excactly where I was. The end of an era. :laugh:

ICM1970

Jan 29, 2012
Ottawa, ON
You know, I do not want to harshly judge peoples' tastes in TV shows but I am little disappointed that that abominable show with Doherty and the rest of them made into discussion here.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
September 28, 1972

You know, I do not want to harshly judge peoples' tastes in TV shows but I am little disappointed that that abominable show with Doherty and the rest of them made into discussion here.

Just havin fun, being silly..... take September 28, 1972..... Game 8 of the Summit Series........................................ on the same day, Hammer Films UK releases Dracula A.D. 1972 in the US & Canada, starring Peter Cushing & Christopher Lee ... thats kind of of a "famous moment" if your a fan of the horror movie genre, Hammer Films who's cult status has grown exponentially with the passing years & decades... or a fan of Peter Cushing & or Christopher Lee.... also...... The Greatful Dead.... they played the 2nd of a 2 night stand at the wonderful old art-deco Stanley Theater in Jersey City NJ on the night of September 28, 1972.... and I'm sure for many a transformative, deeply spiritual & mind expanding event, every bit as seminal as the Summit Series & Game 8 was for hockey fans... only difference being we who watched the game can consciously remember the game, where we were, who we were with, our feels & emotions.... Greatful Dead concert goer & fan... no, no, I reckon not so much.... in fact, very likely a total blank ICM.... also have to feel for Cushing & Lee. Earlier that year, 1972, The Godfather, A Clockwork Orange & several other brilliant films released. No way no how are they winning any Oscars for their performances in Dracula A.D. 1972. :(

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
5/31/2002:

One of the more controversial playoff games in NBA history- Lakers/Kings, Game 6, 2002 NBA Western Conference finals, a game marred by very shaky officiating (27 Lakers free throws in the 4th quarter)- as well as the New Jersey Nets clinching an improbable NBA Finals berth in a worst-to-first season borg took place on the same Friday night as the Red Wings win over Colorado in game 7 of the Western Conference Finals where Patrick Roy famously got lit up for 4 goals in the first period and got pulled midway through the second once it got to 6-0.

Last edited:

PurpleMouse

Apr 27, 2014
Game one of the 2014 Stanley Cup final was the same day as the Justin Bourque police shootings in Moncton.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->