Family trees

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
With Blake Geoffrion's debut today in Dallas I got to thinking who has the most prominent family trees in hockey today? I know the Morentz-Geoffrion tree is thick with NHL players but what other family lines are out there to Compare?

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
The Patrick family is very significant. Lester and Frank are in the Hall of Fame and are two of the most important builders in hockey history. Lynn Patrick (Lester's son) is a Hall of Fame forward who helped the Rangers win the Cup. Muzz Patrick (Frank's son) also played with the Rangers in the 40s. Craig Patrick (Lester's grandson, Lynn's son) won two Stanley Cups as the GM of the Penguins. Glenn Patrick (Lester's grandson, Lynn's son, Craig's brother) played a handful of games in the NHL. And Curtiss Patrick (Glenn's son) has played in the AHL and ECHL.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Definitely the Patricks are the first name to come to mind.

Other than them and the Geoffrion's has their been any other players who have played in the NHL for three generations?

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
In addition to the Wiki list, (or that I didn't see, likely because the family only includes one NHL player) is Simon Gagne. His dad, Pierre, attended the Flyers' first camp in 1967 but didn't make the roster. His grandfather Roger played a few seasons in the AHL.

Last edited:

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Did know that Beukeboom and Nieuwendyk were nephews to Ed Kea...

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
The Melrose-Kocer-Clark one has to be the strangest. And Kocur played with both of them!

I wonder if Gordie and Vic Howe could take Wayne and Brent Gretzky?

steve141

Aug 13, 2009
With Blake Geoffrion's debut today in Dallas I got to thinking who has the most prominent family trees in hockey today? I know the Morentz-Geoffrion tree is thick with NHL players but what other family lines are out there to Compare?

Douglas Murray's grandfather is IIHF Hall of Fame defenceman Lars Bjorn, who won nine Swedish championships and two world championships in the 50s-60s.

But yeah, the Coutu-Morenz-Geoffrion tree beats all the others.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad