Fallout 76

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Which even that sounds great to me as something different until FO5. I could get down with that.

The moment any game loses me is online only. I have no interest in grinding against people online who are just going to call me whatever racist **** they can think of, spawn camp me or glitch the system. I can’t think of anything I could find less irritating than working hard at something just to have some dip**** come run in and destroy my settlement while being messaged with GIt Good.

After a day out in public dealing with real life the LAST thing I want to do with my free entertainment time is deal with more people.

Agreed. Im curious if this is actually an online game (Bethesda has confirmed or denied), and what format online will actually be. Im a loner gamer.

Bethesda has been beating the "#saveplayerone" drum for the last little while, so Im wondering what exactly this game is going to be. 10 days 'til we know!

Yarborough

This is not a robbery, I swear!
Mar 14, 2015
YYC
Sees a fallout game might have multiplayer only

giphy.gif

Reactions: King 88

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
This thread is hilarious.

Probably not going to be a new game. Just some re-master.

I am disappointed.

What? It’s a new game?

Probably going to be online only.

I am disappointed.

People make up their minds on such little information. It’s staggering.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
This thread is hilarious.

Probably not going to be a new game. Just some re-master.

I am disappointed.

What? It’s a new game?

Probably going to be online only.

I am disappointed.

People make up their minds on such little information. It’s staggering.

That includes people making up their minds about others from such little information. People simply expressed some disappointment and you extrapolated from that that they've made up their minds about something? You don't make up your mind to be disappointed. Disappointment is just a reaction. Making up your mind is a decision that may or may not come later. People reacting to information doesn't mean that they've decided anything yet. I'm not sure why you would jump to that conclusion unless you just enjoy being judgmental, which would be ironic, since that's what you're accusing them of.

People were excited for a new single-player Fallout game. I don't see what's wrong with being disappointed when it looked like it might be a re-release and then disappointed when it looked like it might be an online game. How are either of those reactions inconsistent with wanting a new single-player game? If people are not thrilled about the type of game that it is, are they not allowed to express that? It is possible to over-react, but saying "I am disappointed" is nowhere near an over-reaction.

Excitement and disappointment go hand in hand. If you judge people for being disappointed, then you might as well tell them not to get excited in the first place, since that would be "making up their minds," as well... and if, instead, you have no problem with people getting excited, then it's unreasonable to be critical if that excitement ever decreases.

Last edited:

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
That includes people making up their minds about others from such little information. People simply expressed some disappointment and you extrapolated from that that they've made up their minds about something? You don't make up your mind to be disappointed. Disappointment is just a reaction. Making up your mind is a decision that may or may not come later. People reacting to information doesn't mean that they've decided anything yet. I'm not sure why you would jump to that conclusion unless you just enjoy being judgmental, which would be ironic, since that's what you're accusing them of.

People were excited for a new single-player Fallout game. I don't see what's wrong with being disappointed when it looked like it might be a re-release and then disappointed when it looked like it might be an online game. How are either of those reactions inconsistent with wanting a new single-player game? If people are not thrilled about the type of game that it is, are they not allowed to express that? It is possible to over-react, but saying "I am disappointed" is nowhere near an over-reaction.

Excitement and disappointment go hand in hand. If you judge people for being disappointed, then you might as well tell them not to get excited in the first place, since that would be "making up their minds," as well... and if, instead, you have no problem with people getting excited, then it's unreasonable to be critical if that excitement ever decreases.

This exercise in semantics is disappointing.

The fact is, no one was excited, and then people were briefly excited again, and then not excited again, based on extremely little information.

I'm amazed that people put so much effort into conjecture. The amount of analysis that went into a single frame was staggering.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
'Fallout 76 is an online survival rpg'. So yea it's going to be an online game.

"It will have quests and a story, like any other game from Bethesda Game Studios, a developer known for meaty RPGs like Skyrim. It will also feature base-building—just like 2015's Fallout 4—and other survival-based and multiplayer mechanics, according to those sources. "

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008

The fact is, no one was excited, and then people were briefly excited again, and then not excited again, based on extremely little information.

I'm amazed that people put so much effort into conjecture. The amount of analysis that went into a single frame was staggering.

Excitement is a fickle thing, especially when dealing with little information. :laugh:

Obviously, I'll reserve actual judgement until we have the whole picture, but the concept of an online survival game makes me less excited than a full blown Fallout RPG.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Obviously, I'll reserve actual judgement until we have the whole picture, but the concept of an online survival game makes me less excited than a full blown Fallout RPG.

I liked Fallout 4, to the tune of 450 hours or so, but to be honest, some innovation in the genre is needed I think.

They are getting predictable.

I'm not really into online survival games either but sometimes you have to do something a little different to be truly innovative.

I'd love to see a game without the BoS in it in any capacity.

The fact that Vault 76 opens so much earlier gives them a bit of a blank slate, I hope they can use it.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
I liked Fallout 4, to the tune of 450 hours or so, but to be honest, some innovation in the genre is needed I think.

I'm not really into online survival games either but sometimes you have to do something a little different to be truly innovative.

I think you are correct, although I'm personally just getting into the series so my perspective might be a little off. :laugh:

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005

I'm amazed that people put so much effort into conjecture.

I'm not sure why you care so much what other people are excited about and why. Some people enjoy getting excited, even if it leads to disappointment, and that's their business. It's fine if you don't enjoy that, but that doesn't mean that them enjoying that isn't fine. I mean, what do you expect from people, to have no feelings of any sort or to just keep them to themselves until there's more information? The thread may as well be a news feed if thoughts and opinions aren't welcome.

BTW, need I remind you of the effort that you tend to put into conjecture each week when it comes to Westworld? ;)

I'd love to see a game without the BoS in it in any capacity.

The fact that Vault 76 opens so much earlier gives them a bit of a blank slate, I hope they can use it.

These comments are really not that different than most of the comments in this thread. You're exhibiting reservation, but also hope, just like a lot of others have already.

Last edited:

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Add me to this list :) 800~ hours in FO3/4/NV/Skyrim

:thumbu:

Oblivion was my first one. I missed out on the phenomenon that was Morrowind but I think it's too late to go back now.

It's funny, I'd never played any single-player open world games up to that point (a little GTA 3 but I got bored) but it hooked me.

I suppose the graphics finally reached the point of immersion.

Up to that point, most 3D games (e.g. Jedi Knight) just weren't as pretty as the hand-drawn isometric type games like Fallout and BG2.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I'm not sure why you care so much what other people are excited about and why. Some people enjoy getting excited, even if it leads to disappointment, and that's their business. It's fine if you don't enjoy that, but that doesn't mean that them enjoying that isn't fine. I mean, what do you expect from people, to have no feelings of any sort or to just keep them to themselves until there's more information? The thread may as well be a news feed if thoughts and opinions aren't welcome.

To be honest, it's less about the fact that people are voicing their opinions and more about an observation around the default state apparently being pessimism.

Different strokes for different folks, but the vast majority of posts in this thread are in that vein and I find it surprising, considering how little we still know at this point.

Last edited:

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
Don’t get me wrong online or not I have no doubt I’ll buy it, simply because Fallout games are my favourite games of all time. It’s about the only thing that could lure me into anything online these days.

That said my hype is low because of it. Already picturing trying to be immersed in scavenging like only Fallout can for me just to run across <BlastNewbz6969> popping in with some dubstep over his dumb mic ruining anything I’m trying to do.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
Hopefully, for those of us scarred by random online encounters, you can play the game in single player. I know Conan Exiles can do this, as a recent example of the online survival game.

I never thought I'd like the survival genre until I played The Long Dark.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Hopefully, for those of us scarred by random online encounters, you can play the game in single player. I know Conan Exiles can do this, as a recent example of the online survival game.

It's legitimately interesting because so much of Bethesda's player base has been focused on single player.

ESO (different developer I know, but same content) came out to mixed reviews so we shall see.

Sometimes I think developers see "Fortnite" or "Playerunknown's Battlegrounds" and the massive player base and potential dollar signs and jump to try and emulate whatever is hot.

The move towards Skyrim (which was all the rage) in DA:Inquisition and in ME: Andromeda by Bioware was a step backwards.

I liked both games but the story was sacrificed in a way that diluted the series.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005

I'll say the same thing I said to one of my friends - I don't expect them to make the survival game I really really want - but IF they do - I have been craving a good survival game for a long time. You mentioned the Long Dark - I do have it, maybe I should break it out and give it a try. Anyhow, I'm cautiously hopeful for 76, but I'm keeping expectations low.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
To be honest, it's less about the fact that people are voicing their opinions and more about an observation around the default state apparently being pessimism.

Different strokes for different folks, but the vast majority of posts in this thread are in that vein and I find it surprising, considering how little we still know at this point.

It shouldn't be surprising that people who would prefer a single-player game are disappointed (or "pessimistic") that it's an online game. Should they be optimistic, instead, even though they're not big on online games? Perhaps you're able to be, but you can't expect others to have your interests and tolerances. They may find it too stressful to interact with idiots online when they're trying to wind down from work or they may have kids or odd schedules and not have the ability to commit to an online game. It really isn't anyone's business to judge them for being disappointed/pessimistic that it's probably not something that'll interest them. If simply being an online game is an issue for them, further information about it probably isn't going to make too much difference.

That said, while a few have expressed concerns like that, a lot of others (probably a majority) have said things like "I'm disappointed that it's an online game, but I hope that...", similar to what you went on to do, yourself. I think that you over-reacted by focusing on the disappointment/pessimism in those remarks and ignored the optimism that accompanied a lot of it.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
It shouldn't be surprising that people who would prefer a single-player game are disappointed (or "pessimistic") that it's an online game. Should they be optimistic, instead, even though they're not big on online games? Perhaps you're able to be, but you can't expect others to have your interests and tolerances. They may find it too stressful to interact with idiots online when they're trying to wind down from work or they may have kids or odd schedules and not have the ability to commit to an online game. It really isn't anyone's business to judge them for being disappointed/pessimistic that it's probably not something that'll interest them. If simply being an online game is an issue for them, further information about it probably isn't going to make too much difference.

That said, while a few have expressed concerns like that, a lot of others (probably a majority) have said things like "I'm disappointed that it's an online game, but I hope that...", similar to what you went on to do, yourself. I think that you over-reacted by focusing on the disappointment/pessimism in those remarks and ignored the optimism that accompanied a lot of it.

I'm perfectly willing to let them judge whatever they wish, provided I'm able to judge them on that basis as well.

I'm not sure why there's a double standard here.

Not to mention, now you're judging my reaction as an "over-reaction", which is kind of amusing all things considered.

As for the "online game" status, that wasn't even known for the first half of the thread. It didn't stop anyone from being prematurely disappointed or having low expectations despite the lack of anything aside from a coloured image on a screen.

Personally, I think there's a growing tendency to hate on anything that comes out with limited information, whether it be teaser trailers of movies or games, and I find it a bit silly.

For the record, I'm a single-player gamer, first and foremost. I'm still willing to keep my options open.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017

Welcome to an internet message board.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad