Movies: Falling Down

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
One of my all-time favourite films - very near the top of my list.

I like the film because it's relatively balanced in the portrayal of Douglas's character. By that, I mean they show why his character has legitimate reasons for his anger and frustration - while at the same time showing that how he acted was still unjustified. I thought it was a fairly balanced, nuanced portrayal.

Iron Maiden's song "Man on the Edge" is based upon the film - the lyrics make little sense otherwise.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
It's funny, I was just thinking about this movie in recent weeks as my commute has been delayed by some random construction. I reiterate some version of his rant against the construction workers in my head.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
After doing more reading into the movie, perhaps it was fortunate/unfortunate timing that the LA riots happened in the midst of filming. I had always assumed that some of the scenes (notably the Korean convenience store confrontation) were a reference to the riots but it seems like that was coincidental. The movie was boycotted by a few groups because of the scene and apparently wasn't released in South Korea as a result.

Things were still a bit raw in Los Angeles with the riots happening less than a year before the release of the movie.

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
It was a good movie but I feel like it was also a bit on the misleading side in a way. It wasn't about a guy who cracked because of traffic and the weather and the stress of work which is what the film portrays for the first 80% of its runtime. It's a guy who was already unhinged who decided to act on it because of the weather/traffic on that day. Some of it was a bit over the top Hollywood-ism but a good solid watch anyways, I enjoyed the Duvall detective more than Douglas tbh.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
I’ve had this movie on my iTunes wish list for years, had to pull the trigger today. My old DVD copy has seen better days.

I love that the story makes it clear that he’s An antihero, yet still gives him these small victories, until the stakes are raised to the level where he is unworthy of his ultimate goal. In a sense it’s similar to Joker. A society without compassion breeds monsters.

Reactions: Cloned

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I hadn't seen it since maybe the 90s and this thread inspired me to watch it again last night. It was mostly what I remembered, except that I was pleasantly surprised with how darkly funny it is. I had forgotten that. I wouldn't really say that the subject matter was ahead of its time, since it fit the time quite well. It's not a great film, IMO, but it's a pretty good, above average film. I'm glad that I re-watched it.

While watching it, it occurred to me that it has a few of the things that I hated about Uncut Gems: mostly that the protagonist does bad things and is generally unlikable and the movie has a general stressful mood. What I think made me it a lot easier to watch and more enjoyable for me, though, is the humor that took much of the edge off of the seriousness of situations. Uncut Gems really could've used some levity, IMO. Anyways, that's just an tangential observation that I made while watching.

Last edited:

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
It was a good movie but I feel like it was also a bit on the misleading side in a way. It wasn't about a guy who cracked because of traffic and the weather and the stress of work which is what the film portrays for the first 80% of its runtime. It's a guy who was already unhinged who decided to act on it because of the weather/traffic on that day. Some of it was a bit over the top Hollywood-ism but a good solid watch anyways, I enjoyed the Duvall detective more than Douglas tbh.
Actually, that’s kind of the point. D-FENS is an Everyman, just trying to go home and see his family... until the layers are peeled back and we discover that he’s a psychopath in bloom. We lose all sympathy for him, and Prendergast the hero, the aw shucks cop who takes everyone’s crap, is forced into taking him out, yet undoubtedly becomes the hero.

I was scouring the Internet looking for a commentary track to listen to alongside the film, but only found some truly awful articles condemning the movie and suggesting the movie was a laughable farce about the “White man struggling in a multicultural mess”, and that the movie was straight-up racist. Yet Douglas’ character isn’t racist. He’s many bad things, but not that. Very strange how people pick and choose and create to support their narrative.

End on a Hinote

Registered Abuser
Aug 22, 2011
Northern British Columbia
I was scouring the Internet looking for a commentary track to listen to alongside the film, but only found some truly awful articles condemning the movie and suggesting the movie was a laughable farce about the “White man struggling in a multicultural mess”, and that the movie was straight-up racist. Yet Douglas’ character isn’t racist. He’s many bad things, but not that. Very strange how people pick and choose and create to support their narrative.

Safe to say this flick falls into "wouldn't work if made today" category, unless it starred Kristen Stweart.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
I only saw it once when it first came out on video

I remember being very excited to see it, but ultimately came away disappointed

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Falling Down was always a really good movie even though it got mixed reviews by the critics upon initial release. It's more of a cult classic.
The audience were much more receptive to this film. My favorite part of the film is actually the first scene.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Falling Down was always a really good movie even though it got mixed reviews by the critics upon initial release. It's more of a cult classic.
The audience were much more receptive to this film. My favorite part of the film is actually the first scene.
The almost-dizzying camerawork in the first scene is amazing. Also the audio mixing, where the sounds build up into a cacophony of noise. So good.

Reactions: Hockey Outsider

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
This movie was a classic. Right place, right time. Michael Douglas almost did a 180 with where his career was in terms of roles. Great casting with Duvall, Ticotin, Hershey, and Weld.

Joel Schumacher who EVERYONE trashes for his take on the Batman films was a quality director. People forget he did this and The Lost Boys among many other great films. That often gets overlooked as it's easy to just be like "oh he's awful he ruined Batman"

When I say right place right time, this movie was about anarchy, sticking it to the man, anti conformity....all of those themes were huge in the 90s. And as @Brodeur said it came out about a year after the LA riots.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Right place, right time? I guess.

Now the Ds of the world are using automatic weapons.

Thank you media for making them heroes.

Xelebes

Jun 10, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta
The comments I read with regards to it being ahead of its time, I feel I don't agree so much. It has a quality that resounds today but the film is more of an epilogue to Dr. Strangelove that captures the mood of LA after the defense spending boom in the 1980s had come to an end. The man has always been a psychopath building missiles that were never meant to be used as purpose and is now reacting to the bluff being called. The reason why it resonates today is because there are folks who lived a life of cruelty and had what had sheltered their cruelty lifted from them. And now those who remain sheltered tell those who aren't to assert their shelter by purchasing the goods produced by the still-sheltered.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad