GDT: Fall Free Agent Frenzy 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
The season is more than 2 months away. There will be more changes. I wouldn't rule out a player like Miller being waived when they have to get down to the roster limit. It's going to happen all over the league just like with players not being qualified. It's going to be waiver frenzy.

The fun part will be seeing all the players that clear since there is unlikely to be a lot of cap space available to claim guys.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I think we'd be the one paying a 3rd rounder to get someone to take these guys. They have negative value, considering their salary.
Well, Montour has one year left, maybe some team would agree to take him, who has a cap or if the deal involves the return of the salary.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
The season is more than 2 months away. There will be more changes. I wouldn't rule out a player like Miller being waived when they have to get down to the roster limit. It's going to happen all over the league just like with players not being qualified. It's going to be waiver frenzy.

You think someone will claim Miller or another one of our D if waived? I don't see it.

I agree that a lot of teams will be waiving players, but just like Johnson in Tampa, I think they'll pass through waivers, not providing cap relief.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Well, Montour has one year left, maybe some team would agree to take him, who has a cap or if the deal involves the return of the salary.

I'm guessing they've been trying to move him for a year or more, and it doesn't sound like the team has a desire to pay salary of players they trade away. They probably only signed him because they didn't have other options.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Can he play LHD or upgrade the Sabres in goal?

If not, I'd pass.

If the traded Reinhart for D/G then he could replace him scoring for a year.

Goal scorers at 5v5 sure. Multiple players who have negative impacts at even strength and whose largest value comes from shooting on the right half wall during the power play would be.

If you have all 4 goal scoring wingers with similar style you can run into problems. Ideally you want some style differences

I'm guessing they've been trying to move him for a year or more, and it doesn't sound like the team has a desire to pay salary of players they trade away. They probably only signed him because they didn't have other options.[/QUO

Montour at one yr to UFA has real value because it’s a way to protect a player because he refuses to talk to seattlethen resigns .

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
You think someone will claim Miller or another one of our D if waived? I don't see it.

I agree that a lot of teams will be waiving players, but just like Johnson in Tampa, I think they'll pass through waivers, not providing cap relief.
There's going to be a lot of jockeying with rosters. Teams are going to look different in 2-3 months. We're going to have players opting out. Players will get injured. There's going to be roster moves that have nothing to do with the Sabres that could open a spot on another team for Miller. The smart gm's anticipate a changing market. The dumb ones trade Scandella for a 4th round pick.

Reactions: Digable5

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
There's going to be a lot of jockeying with rosters. Teams are going to look different in 2-3 months. We're going to have players opting out. Players will get injured. There's going to be roster moves that have nothing to do with the Sabres that could open a spot on another team for Miller. The smart gm's anticipate a changing market. The dumb ones trade Scandella for a 4th round pick.

Fingers crossed!

ForsbergMoDo21

Feb 19, 2008
Rochester NY
I’m ok with that with Quinn and Cozens in the system. Should be able to recoup a good futures package for Sam that restocks the cupboard or move him for something on D at TDL.

Not to pick on you, but I’m sure people said the same thing. “We have Nylander and Mittelstadt in the system.” Unless they’re in the top 2-3 picks, I wouldn’t rely on any high draft pick being a contributor at the NHL until there’s undeniable proof that they can be. I.e., they’ve played and contributed consistently at the NHL level. This team had a dearth of offense and of actually hitting on first rounders for far too long for them to bet on themselves like that and trade one of their few known commodities in Reinhart.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
It is crazy that there are still reasonably skilled players like Anastasiou, Kahun, and a few other specific cases, that haven't found a team yet. With Dadonov off the board, it's seemingly just left to Hoffman to be the lone big name left.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Does anyone else think that the Sabres and Kahuns camp when they talked after not qualifying him have something possibly in place to bring him back once they clear the cap more/finalize the forward corps?

For a good skating 25 year old with a career .5 ppg and a career +18 all while getting under 14 minutes a game being unsigned is pretty surprising. Maybe they are saying wait until VO and Sams situation gets resolved and we can work something out to bring you back in the fold. If he was truly asking for 2.5 x 2, I still would like to find a way to bring him back as he is the PERFECT third line forward. Maybe they are saying once we move Montour/Miller and clear nearly 4 mil off the cap we can bring you back.

Hall-Eichel-Olofsson
Skinner-Staal-Reinhart
Kahun-Eakin-Cozens
Rieder-Lazar/Girgs-Thompson/Okposo

Now that looks really nice to me. 13.6 mil in cap to re-sign VO, Sam and Ullmark. VO gets 3.5-3.6 on a bridge. Sam gets 6 on a 3-4 year deal. Ullmark gets around 3. Thats a little over 12.5. Move Miller or Montours ~3.8 and that gives us a little under 5 mil. Burying Hutton gives us a little over a mil (now 6 mil in space) to bring in a cheap backup. With that 6 mil you can bring in a cheap backup goalie, sign Kahun for 2.5 or so and also acquire a cheaper LHD to replace Montour/Miller. McNabb is my choice as he makes 2.5 mil, is definitely available and would easily be our 2nd best LHD. If bringing up Cozens on a tight cap is tough to do then waive Okposo and save another 1.050 mil. Okposo simply is not needed. If we were willing to waive Moulson and his 5 mil per, we can do the same to another aging regressing vet making a boat load who is a 4th liner at best at this point of his career.

I am really hoping Okposo is waived. He may be willing to ride the bus for this year but with only 4 mil per in actual money the 2 years after this I can see him willing to retire then have to ride a bus for 2 more full years just to make that 8 mil total.

If Adams can somehow bring back Kahun our forward corps is EASILY a top 10 offense if not top 5. We would rival Toronto and Tampa in terms of pure offense.

Reactions: IlikeEich

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
It is crazy that there are still reasonably skilled players like Anastasiou, Kahun, and a few other specific cases, that haven't found a team yet. With Dadonov off the board, it's seemingly just left to Hoffman to be the lone big name left.

And Hoffman is waiting on a team (potentially Vancouver) to clear cap, per the scuttlebutt.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Does anyone else think that the Sabres and Kahuns camp when they talked after not qualifying him have something possibly in place to bring him back once they clear the cap more/finalize the forward corps?

For a good skating 25 year old with a career .5 ppg and a career +18 all while getting under 14 minutes a game being unsigned is pretty surprising. Maybe they are saying wait until VO and Sams situation gets resolved and we can work something out to bring you back in the fold. If he was truly asking for 2.5 x 2, I still would like to find a way to bring him back as he is the PERFECT third line forward. Maybe they are saying once we move Montour/Miller and clear nearly 4 mil off the cap we can bring you back.

Hall-Eichel-Olofsson
Skinner-Staal-Reinhart
Kahun-Eakin-Cozens
Rieder-Lazar/Girgs-Thompson/Okposo

Now that looks really nice to me. 13.6 mil in cap to re-sign VO, Sam and Ullmark. VO gets 3.5-3.6 on a bridge. Sam gets 6 on a 3-4 year deal. Ullmark gets around 3. Thats a little over 12.5. Move Miller or Montours ~3.8 and that gives us a little under 5 mil. Burying Hutton gives us a little over a mil (now 6 mil in space) to bring in a cheap backup. With that 6 mil you can bring in a cheap backup goalie, sign Kahun for 2.5 or so and also acquire a cheaper LHD to replace Montour/Miller. McNabb is my choice as he makes 2.5 mil, is definitely available and would easily be our 2nd best LHD. If bringing up Cozens on a tight cap is tough to do then waive Okposo and save another 1.050 mil. Okposo simply is not needed. If we were willing to waive Moulson and his 5 mil per, we can do the same to another aging regressing vet making a boat load who is a 4th liner at best at this point of his career.

I am really hoping Okposo is waived. He may be willing to ride the bus for this year but with only 4 mil per in actual money the 2 years after this I can see him willing to retire then have to ride a bus for 2 more full years just to make that 8 mil total.

If Adams can somehow bring back Kahun our forward corps is EASILY a top 10 offense if not top 5. We would rival Toronto and Tampa in terms of pure offense.

I doubt Okposo retires if they send him to Rochester. I expect he would be like Moulson in that regard. But I also doubt they send him to Rochester when he will still count $5M against the Sabres cap while in the minors.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Waiving Okposo this year is not smart. You save 1 mil...and then have to have a roster player replace him. Okposo is still an NHLer and can play an effective role.

he is just extremely overpaid. But you don’t think about doing anything about it until next year
If young players emerge and surpass him during the season then it makes sense to waive him to Rochester

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
Not to pick on you, but I’m sure people said the same thing. “We have Nylander and Mittelstadt in the system.” Unless they’re in the top 2-3 picks, I wouldn’t rely on any high draft pick being a contributor at the NHL until there’s undeniable proof that they can be. I.e., they’ve played and contributed consistently at the NHL level. This team had a dearth of offense and of actually hitting on first rounders for far too long for them to bet on themselves like that and trade one of their few known commodities in Reinhart.
Agreed.

except I’d say that I am fine trading Reinhart if it was for a known quantity. Like a 1 for 1 swap, or if he was included in a package for a better player.

I have absolutely no interest in trading him for magic beans though. We don’t need futures. All of the Sabres offseason moves show we are in “try to win now” mode. Why would you trade one of our good top 6 players for futures right now?

Reactions: ForsbergMoDo21

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Agreed.

except I’d say that I am fine trading Reinhart if it was for a known quantity. Like a 1 for 1 swap, or if he was included in a package for a better player.

I have absolutely no interest in trading him for magic beans though. We don’t need futures. All of the Sabres offseason moves show we are in “try to win now” mode. Why would you trade one of our good top 6 players for futures right now?

Just some tradeideas

Reinhart and McCabe for Ekholm and Aarvidsdon

Reinhart and Montour for Hanifin snd Lindholm

Reinhart for Dvorak/Schmalitz

The other option..post ED trade him for a young Dman who is 24 or younger

Reactions: Team Cozens

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Agreed.

because quite frankly people need someone to be disappointed in for all the failures we’ve had and he’s a connection through older management teams, and fans don’t want to be associated with those players.

It doesn’t matter how many points he gets, it doesn’t matter how much he covers for Eichel’s backside, he doesn’t skate like a sprinter Like some people fall in love with, and to some people that will always draw harsher criticism than most regardless how effective the player is.

Trading Reinhart for futures would be as dumb trading “him”. If you’re trading him you’re doing so for an equal player for the sake of change of scenery, but you’re most likely trading him for a “soon to be” expensive piece or an already “expensive piece”.

CrazyWayne

Dec 15, 2018
I don't think Reinhart is going to be traded. In my opinion the hall signing for 1 year sealed it.

The sabres will probably aim for a short term or just take the arbitration award.

Since adams took over he has been about cap flexibility. Signing reinhart to a long term deal hurts that ability. Plus a short term deal allows them to really test him at center as well.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I don't think Reinhart is going to be traded. In my opinion the hall signing for 1 year sealed it.

The sabres will probably aim for a short term or just take the arbitration award.

Since adams took over he has been about cap flexibility. Signing reinhart to a long term deal hurts that ability. Plus a short term deal allows them to really test him at center as well.

I feel the current situation in the NHL is having more of an impact on the type of moves we are seeing in the NHL, than it is of some sort of plan.

Reinhart’s contract shouldn’t have any bearing on whether they should test them at center or not. Regardless of the outcome, we know he’s an effective winger and a good complement to our current best player. If you give him a short term deal with that flexibility, if he performs well at center, then you are doing what you did with Skinner, by inflating the value of his next contract when you didn’t need to.

We need as many team friendly deals as possible. Sign him to a medium or long deal, commit to him at center (IMO he would be a better player there), and use his current contract’s value to help you get the most bang for your buck in the years you need it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->