NFL: Falcons fire most of their coaching staff

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Like Carolina, one flawed very overachieving season that sticks out from the rest. Why not get rid of the head honcho too? One could even argue Matt Ryan just isnt that great.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Like Carolina, one flawed very overachieving season that sticks out from the rest. Why not get rid of the head honcho too? One could even argue Matt Ryan just isnt that great.

They were the best team that year. Much the best.

Last year, they SHOULD have beat the Eagles in the playoffs and would have won at least another game.

This year, they lost 1/2 their defense to injuries before week 2 and their all-pro RB in week 1.

Matt Ryan was amazing this year. 35 TD's 7 INT's. 69.4% and 4924 yards. (with a CRAP OC)

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

Matt Ryan was overrated for years that now he is absurdly underrated

Ryan is not a problem in Atlanta and most teams would gladly take him

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
They were the best team that year. Much the best.

Last year, they SHOULD have beat the Eagles in the playoffs and would have won at least another game.

This year, they lost 1/2 their defense to injuries before week 2 and their all-pro RB in week 1.

Matt Ryan was amazing this year. 35 TD's 7 INT's. 69.4% and 4924 yards. (with a CRAP OC)

He choked in the same situation twice against the same team in back to back games. Sure, give the Philly D credit, especially the first time but no adjustments for the 2nd crack at the same situation? Red flag for me.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Matt Ryan was overrated for years that now he is absurdly underrated

Ryan is not a problem in Atlanta and most teams would gladly take him

For the record I didn't say he was the problem, i'm just not sure he's the solution, can or will do it. In big moments they choked. Against NE in the 2nd half, playcalling cost them. Way too conservative. Then when the game got tight he was nowhere to be found.

member 157595

For the record I didn't say he was the problem, i'm just not sure he's the solution, can or will do it. In big moments they choked. Against NE in the 2nd half, playcalling cost them. Way too conservative. Then when the game got tight he was nowhere to be found.

QB's are at such a premium in this league that Minnesota paid over $80M guaranteed for Kirk freaking Cousins this past summer. Ryan isn't the problem and it's rare to find guys much better than he.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Actually the playcalling wasn't conservative at all and they just missed on a few big plays to seal the game. Almost Like they knew 28 points wasn't going to be enough or something. Do you even watch football or just follow it on twitter?

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
after the catch by Julio over Rowe they should shave basically had Ryan run three sneaks and kick the fg. Would have won the Superbowl.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Julio Jones is the only NFL player with 1600 yards in 4 different seasons.......yet somehow doesn't he feel underutilized?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Julio Jones is the only NFL player with 1600 yards in 4 different seasons.......yet somehow doesn't he feel underutilized?

I guess if you're counting on him for fantasy touchdowns.

Said it in the other thread, kind of surprised Marquand Manuel got the axe.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
A much better argument would be that it wasnt conservative enough.

There was so many 50/50 plays that went the Patriots way that it's hard to pin it all on playcalling. Keanu Neal dropping the game winning pick, Devonta Freeman not holding up a .5 second more in pass pro so Ryan could hit a wide open Gabriel for a TD etc.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
There was so many 50/50 plays that went the Patriots way that it's hard to pin it all on playcalling. Keanu Neal dropping the game winning pick, Devonta Freeman not holding up a .5 second more in pass pro so Ryan could hit a wide open Gabriel for a TD etc.

Oh no, that's absolutely right, I'm just saying it'd be a better argument that what the Enthusiast is going with. That way you could at least point to one of the more pivotal plays. Saying they were too conservative is kind of mind blowing to me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad