Fake Exhaust Tips

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I know fake exhaust tips have been more and more common as time goes... and have always thought they were pretty lame, but I saw a Toyota Corolla that took the cake as THE worst fake exhaust tips I had ever seen... and I have now managed to find an image online showing just how bad it really is...

Exhaust-FakeTip-1.jpg

Driving behind a Toyota Corolla ST hackback on my way to work I saw this exact setup! Really small narrow looking dual fake exhaust tips in the rear bumper molding... and a single tiny small real exhaust pipe hanging clearly in view below one of them. Not even trying to hide the thing for looks.

So you get the view of the rear of the car, here's what it looks like from the back...

2021-Toyota-Corolla-Hatchback-Review-004.jpeg

Only what most of the images you find online won't show (likely due to photoshop) is how on the passenger side, you can clearly see that lone real exhaust pipe when behind the vehicle below the fake exhaust tip in the molding.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Yeah, not a fan of the weird exhaust tips. Also, and I know I'm in the wrong place for this, I don't really care for loud exhaust systems at all. I don't see the point. If you're gunning for lower back pressure for whatever reason, cool, last I saw it can be achieved just as easily while the muffler still, you know, muffles. I know it's just a preference thing, and there are people who really like it, but I don't care for it at all. There is something about it that just lacks refinement to me and, if you're on the street amongst other people, it also seems rude and inconsiderate. Feel the same about stereo systems that are crazy loud/heavy bass.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Yeah, not a fan of the weird exhaust tips. Also, and I know I'm in the wrong place for this, I don't really care for loud exhaust systems at all. I don't see the point. If you're gunning for lower back pressure for whatever reason, cool, last I saw it can be achieved just as easily while the muffler still, you know, muffles. I know it's just a preference thing, and there are people who really like it, but I don't care for it at all. There is something about it that just lacks refinement to me and, if you're on the street amongst other people, it also seems rude and inconsiderate. Feel the same about stereo systems that are crazy loud/heavy bass.

i like a throaty grumble from a naturally aspirated v8

otherwise i prefer silence

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
The 88-96 chevy 3.1 v6 was pretty nice stock, but with an exhaust upgrade it was cool. Sounded good in lots of vehicles...beretta, sunbird, cavalier...

As I age I appreciate the quiet now, and apologize to all my neighbors for my 6 am startups =p

One of my new neighbors has a 3rd gen dodge 1500 and I can hear it startup from my basement. Nothing against him, but I find any Dodge 1500 to be one of the most modified exhaust wise these days

Reactions: TD Charlie

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
The 88-96 chevy 3.1 v6 was pretty nice stock, but with an exhaust upgrade it was cool. Sounded good in lots of vehicles...beretta, sunbird, cavalier...

As I age I appreciate the quiet now, and apologize to all my neighbors for my 6 am startups =p

One of my new neighbors has a 3rd gen dodge 1500 and I can hear it startup from my basement. Nothing against him, but I find any Dodge 1500 to be one of the most modified exhaust wise these days

lol I had a friend in high school with a Cavalier Z24, 3.1 5 speed. Absolute garbage performance but a fun little car to piss around in. No idea what it would sound like with a more free flowing exhaust though. EDIT: Now that I think of it, I think the dash had shift indicators on it!

I put a Flowmaster knockoff on my 1990 Cadillac in high school/college and thought I was hot shit. It actually sounded pretty mean, and looked slick with the dual outputs. Same muffler as the Camaro/IROC of the same era, so knockoffs were all over the place for cheap money

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
lol I had a friend in high school with a Cavalier Z24, 3.1 5 speed. Absolute garbage performance but a fun little car to piss around in. No idea what it would sound like with a more free flowing exhaust though. EDIT: Now that I think of it, I think the dash had shift indicators on it!

I put a Flowmaster knockoff on my 1990 Cadillac in high school/college and thought I was hot shit. It actually sounded pretty mean, and looked slick with the dual outputs. Same muffler as the Camaro/IROC of the same era, so knockoffs were all over the place for cheap money

For the time I think the Cavaliers were pretty cool cars. I was a Beretta GT guy though. Mine could squeek the tires from 2-3 shift in an auto, so Im surprised at your friends performance. I would even bet it weighed less. Regardless, yes they were pretty fun and I still regard my Beretta as my most favorite CAR that Ive owned.

The 3400 motor was a direct swap for those cars and would have made some huge gains. Very popular swap on Beretta.net

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
My GT500 has a very throaty growl, while still having a pair of mufflers.

As was stated, you can have good sounding throaty exhaust without being obnoxiously loud.

Oh i never said anything about having mufflers and whatnot. I’m just saying it’s really not worth messing with unless you’ve got the displacement under the hood to make it sound any good.

Your car sounds great because it’s 2x-3x the size of what the kids put straight pipes or fat free flowing cats andmufflers on

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Oh i never said anything about having mufflers and whatnot. I’m just saying it’s really not worth messing with unless you’ve got the displacement under the hood to make it sound any good.

Your car sounds great because it’s 2x-3x the size of what the kids put straight pipes or fat free flowing cats andmufflers on
@Winger98 was talking about those who forego mufflers. There are plenty of throaty V8's out there where the owner decided throaty wasn't enough, and they went all out loud on top of it by going muffler delete.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
@Winger98 was talking about those who forego mufflers. There are plenty of throaty V8's out there where the owner decided throaty wasn't enough, and they went all out loud on top of it by going muffler delete.
If it sounds good and mean I’m all for it

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
If it sounds good and mean I’m all for it
If it's obnoxiously loud... I'm not. There was nothing worse than when I had a neighbor a few houses down who had a F350 lifted truck with custom exhaust that had no muffler. He'd get up every morning to go to work at 6am, start up the truck and rev it a few times before leaving... like he felt the need to announce it to the entire planet that he was driving his truck. :ha:

It was GREAT when he moved out of the neighborhood!

Reactions: Winger98

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
If it's obnoxiously loud... I'm not. There was nothing worse than when I had a neighbor a few houses down who had a F350 lifted truck with custom exhaust that had no muffler. He'd get up every morning to go to work at 6am, start up the truck and rev it a few times before leaving... like he felt the need to announce it to the entire planet that he was driving his truck. :ha:

It was GREAT when he moved out of the neighborhood!

That’s a dick move, no question.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Neighbor has a first gen Eclipse Turbo with the muffler deleted. My God, this thing makes such a racket. It sounds like an Audi 5 banger at 6,000 RPMs and he's only idling in the driveway

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad