The Athletic Fairburn: Should the Sabres consider a reunion with fired Devils coach Lindy Ruff?

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

Ruff is still only 64 years old and has plenty left to give, whether he’s coaching or not. Maybe he’s ready to step away from the whistle and into a front-office role. Ruff would be an ideal fit as an advisor if he’s open to it. Back when he was coaching the Sabres, Ruff hired Adams as an assistant coach. That was Adams’ first job in pro hockey after his playing days ended. He should have every reason to trust Ruff and value his input. He could be a resource for Adams and also one for Granato, who is now the sixth-longest-tenured coach in the NHL and the longest-tenured coach who has not made the postseason.

Ruff having hired Adams previously is something that I had forgotten about.

Reactions: buffalowing88

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Something people forget about Lindy is how he was put in arguably the worst position a coach has ever been in with players and staff literally not being paid and the owners headed to jail in the worst financial crime in US history yet kept things together while the groundwork for the post lockout cup contenders was laid (which would ironically be cut short by the same owner who literally saved the team).

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
It sems like Adams has hitched his wagon to Granato, unfortunately. I'd be fine with having a Type-A guy behind the bench again. I just don't think our organization is going to do it because we are inept in general.

pigpen65

Jul 25, 2011
This team isn't soft enough already? If Lindy comes back Adams better up it to 4 active goalies on the roster. They get concussed quick with Lindy

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
To replace one of the assistants? Yes. As head coach? No.

and I have just the perfect assistant in mind to replace.

Reactions: Dirty Dog

ForsbergMoDo21

Feb 19, 2008
Rochester NY
Seems like a risky move. He could wind up hurting someone’s feelings. However he has a previous attachment to the organization so the odds are very high it will happen.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Ruff accomplished a bunch of things with the Devils that are similar to what Granato got out of Buffalo, even moreso with how they generate shots and chances. And they have a young defense, the GM didn't get him a goalie, and some of the forward usage is certainly something to question - all sounds similar to Don.

In the end, he wasn't getting saves and Fitzgerald, who didn't get the goalie, took the lowest road by dismissing the coach and then saying that Green was more detail oriented and held people accountable because Green was willing to bench Nemec... who didn't deserve to sit.

I get the stuff about Ruff and Holtz and Ruff and Meier - it reminds me a lot of what Ruff was doing with Vanek back in the mid-2000's. He tried to turn Thomas into Hossa and it never quite worked out. We'll see how that winds up turning out for Holtz. The guy plays favorites and it isn't always for the best.

And I would also argue that the Devils have a better roster than Buffalo and while the Sabres have some similar flaws, they don't have the productivity and more importantly consistency out of 1C and 2C, let alone the difference between Bratt and any of the other Sabre wingers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad