Fair to say the Art Ross, Rocket Richard, and Ted Lindsay the three most prestigious awards?

Ross/Richard/Lindsay 3 most prestigious awards?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Not to take away from Ovechkin's Rockets or anything - but he's the perfect way to show to why the Rocket doesn't mean as much.

Put up his Rocket wins/finishes vs his Hart finishes.
When he has a good/great season, he either wins the hart or finishes high.
When he doesn't have as good/great a season - he's way back, if any votes in the hart.

Scoring goals is great - and many times the player who scores the most goals is having a season worthy of hart contention. But - not always

In terms of comparing goal-scoring to Hart, yeah. It's definitely as constant as points. I'd rank awards as follows:

1st Tier:
Hart
Lindsay
Art
Norris
Vezina

1.5 Tier:
Rocket

2nd Tier:
Selke

Rest don't matter that much for me.

Reactions: psycat and slapKing

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
The media talks about the Hart, because it's the MVP award they get to give out themselves. The Lindsay is the MVP voted by the players, which seems like it should be far more prestigious.

The players don't watch enough games though. Sure, they know how to play, but they rarely know how to appropriately evaluate other players based on advanced statistics.

Reactions: slapKing

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
Hart, Ross and Rocket.

Regardless of what you might think of the Hart(I think other people should vote on it instead of media)it's still one of the most prestigious.

Hart, Ross and Rocket

Vezina, Norris, Lindsey.

Selke

All the others

Last edited:

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I think the players probably value the Lindsay more than the Hart because it's voted on by their peers instead of the media.

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
Ovechkin has added some prestige to the Rocket, but no, I still think of it as a secondary trophy.

I could be slightly biased because I still remember when it was a brand new award and how no one cared about it until Ovechkin came around and started routinely winning them.

The major individual awards are still the Hart, Pearson/Lindsay, and Art Ross. People can quibble about the media voting for the Hart, but the players have made their own goofs and shown off their own biases, plus their votes are gathered so early.

Both groups usually vote for the right player more often than not.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
Ross
Lindsay
Rocket
Hart
The voting for the Lindsay is spread evenly around the league and is by a players peers. That is more important IMO than the Hart which is eastern centric.

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
Ross
Lindsay
Rocket
Hart
The voting for the Lindsay is spread evenly around the league and is by a players peers. That is more important IMO than the Hart which is eastern centric.

2010-2020
Hart/lindsay winners

H Sedin/OV
Perry/D Sedin
Malkin/Malkin
OV/Crosby
Crosby/Crosby
Price/Price
Kane/Kane
McDavid/McDavid
Hall/McDavid
Kucherov/Kucherov
Draisaitl/Draisaitl

Hart: 5 western conference winners, 6 eastern

Lindsay: 5 western conference winners, 6 eastern

Looks pretty even to me.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
2010-2020
Hart/lindsay winners

H Sedin/OV
Perry/D Sedin
Malkin/Malkin
OV/Crosby
Crosby/Crosby
Price/Price
Kane/Kane
McDavid/McDavid
Hall/McDavid
Kucherov/Kucherov
Draisaitl/Draisaitl

Hart: 5 western conference winners, 6 eastern

Lindsay: 5 western conference winners, 6 eastern

Looks pretty even to me.

Yes over that period of time....
Even or not I still prefer the players choosing so my order of importance stands from my perspective.

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
I think the players probably value the Lindsay more than the Hart because it's voted on by their peers instead of the media.

Who cares though? The players are the product and they should be judged by viewers not their friends(let's face it rarely is there any real rivalry anymore) who see them play maybe twice a year?

RealisticLeaf55

Win it clean for J.T
Sep 28, 2010
A place
Don't understand this new found love affair for the Lindsay. It was scoffed at on these boards a few years ago. The rocket, Smythe, Art Ross, and Hart were the big four.

When Ovechkin and Stamkos were winning, the rocket had high prestige.

*looks at this years winner* Ah, I know why it is a lesser trophy now.

garbageteam

Jan 7, 2010
1. Cup

The end.

A 4th line passenger playing a single game in the playoffs could get his name on a cup just by being at the right place at the right time. An Art Ross winner who's never won a cup has accomplished WAY more in their hockey career.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee

The voting may be, but it doesn't really eliminate the biases. A lot more players follow Canadian than Californian teams.

AsparaGus

Feb 16, 2020
Rocket should be asterisked this year. Playing against Koskinen and whoever is in net in Vancouver and Calgary is a cheat code.

Furthermore, I think the Norris and Vezina are more prestigious and vastly more important. These awards are performance based rather than statistical.

A Chechoo comes around once in a while. But you can't fake the Hart/ Lindsay, Norris and Vezina.

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
Rocket should be asterisked this year. Playing against Koskinen and whoever is in net in Vancouver and Calgary is a cheat code.

Furthermore, I think the Norris and Vezina are more prestigious and vastly more important. These awards are performance based rather than statistical.

A Chechoo comes around once in a while. But you can't fake the Hart/ Lindsay, Norris and Vezina.

You do remember that Jim Carey won a Vezina, right?

Beukeboom

Apr 1, 2007
Anyways. Lindsay >> Hart imo. Most feel otherwise though. I guess it doesn't matter how many bizarre takes the media makes when they own the channels of propaganda. They're more likely to promote the award they vote on so most hockey fans take their word that it is prestigious.
But journalists are more reliable than players. How often does an Edmonton player actually see a game with Brad Marchand? Hart is definitely the most prestigious award, with Art coming in second.

RealisticLeaf55

Win it clean for J.T
Sep 28, 2010
A place

Lmao.

Jim Carey won a vezina.

The hart was won by Taylor Hall.

Just because a player comes around "once in a while" and stumbled into a trophy does not cheapen a trophy just because you simply don't agree with it.

pabst blue ribbon

🇺🇦🤝🇵🇱
Oct 26, 2015
PG
But journalists are more reliable than players. How often does an Edmonton player actually see a game with Brad Marchand? Hart is definitely the most prestigious award, with Art coming in second.
You're point about the Pearson is correct but you could easily apply that logic to the Hart as well

How many times does a Pittaburgh beat writer watch the Oilers play in a season?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->