Fair to say the Art Ross, Rocket Richard, and Ted Lindsay the three most prestigious awards?

Ross/Richard/Lindsay 3 most prestigious awards?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

slapKing

Feb 12, 2020
Canada
it's funny. when it comes to nhl awards, there's always a huge debate. but when it comes to these three awards, it different.

The Ross and Richard are statistical awards. You either win it or you don't, it's black and white. The lindsay is voted on by the players, not by the media or coaches or GMs. To be picked by your peers is a special honor.

Is is fair to say these awards are the best of the best

Sinistril

Oct 26, 2008
It goes like this IMO (forwards major regular season awards):

1. Hart
2. Art Ross
3. Lindsay
4. Rocket
5. Selke
6. Minor awards (Masterton, Messier, Lady Byng etc.)

Anyways. Lindsay >> Hart imo. Most feel otherwise though. I guess it doesn't matter how many bizarre takes the media makes when they own the channels of propaganda. They're more likely to promote the award they vote on so most hockey fans take their word that it is prestigious.

Reactions: slapKing

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Ted Lindsay? No, it's just a popularity contest.

Art Ross and Rocket.

All three are more prestigeous than Hart though, which is an absolute nonsense trophy. Why do homer journalists get to decide such things anyway?

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
Ted Lindsay? No, it's just a popularity contest.

Art Ross and Rocket.

All three are more prestigeous than Hart though, which is an absolute nonsense trophy. Why do homer journalists get to decide such things anyway?
At least its a popularity contest with the players though, the media driven hart trophy means less to me in my opinion.

Reactions: slapKing

duul

Jun 21, 2010
The answer to the poll is 'no' though, because the Hart is pretty clearly the most prestigious regular-season award. Certain people think otherwise (i.e. Lindsay) but if we're being real most people talk about the Hart first.
The media talks about the Hart, because it's the MVP award they get to give out themselves. The Lindsay is the MVP voted by the players, which seems like it should be far more prestigious.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
The media talks about the Hart, because it's the MVP award they get to give out themselves. The Lindsay is the MVP voted by the players, which seems like it should be far more prestigious.

Depends on how you define 'prestige' maybe
If the ~1000 NHL players are impressed about one thing, and the millions of fans who interact with the media care about a different thing, which is a bigger deal?

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013

It's like how the Nobel Prizes are the most prestigious in some scientific fields but they're just determined by some random Swedish people.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
The answer to the poll is 'no' though, because the Hart is pretty clearly the most prestigious regular-season award. Certain people think otherwise (i.e. Lindsay) but if we're being real most people talk about the Hart first.

yeah as much of a joke as the Hart can be at times(see: McDavid not even finishing top 3 the year they gave it to Hall despite leading the league in points with second place on his team 38 points behind him and 3rd place 60 points behind him just because his team happened to not make the Playoffs) it's still viewed as being pretty prestigious that's just a fact

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Hart is definitely there. And Smythe too. above rocket. For me - it goes like this:

Tier 1:

1. Hart. Easy #1
2. Lindsay - #2. It sounds like a cool thing to say 'voted on by your peers' - but simply put the Hart is seen as more prestigious, right or wrong
3. Ross. This one slightly below the other 2 - because there are times when the Ross winner doesn't matter much (Benn, St Louis in 2013, Gretzky in 94). The Hart/Lindsay winners are always a big thing
4. Smythe. I have this below the above 3 - and the reason why is you can have some non-star players win. Like a Justin Williams, or Claude Lemieux. More power to them for winning - but it's just not necessarily best in the world players who win this. Clearly players love this - because it means you win a cup usually - I'd still have it behind the top 3.

Tier 2:

1. Norris.
2. Rocket
3. Vezina

The above 3 are close. I have Vezina last simply because of how much turnover there is with goalies lately. It means less. A random goalie in a career year who'll never be a top 10 goalie in the game again might win, and you don't see that with forward awards as much. Rocket/Norris are interchangeable.

4. Selke. Clearly last of the 4.

Tier 3:

The rest. Lady Byng, Messier, etc.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Hart, Ross and Lindsay are. Rocket I would have in a tier with the Norris and Selke. Behind the former and ahead of the latter.

Reactions: Cape and slapKing

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
At least its a popularity contest with the players though, the media driven hart trophy means less to me in my opinion.

The players are playing not watching though, we are here to judge them not the other way around, they are the product.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
The Richard is a secondary trophy. The Hart is far more important.

The Richard trophy only evaluates one statistical element of the game. And any trophy where Rick Nash has a better chance of winning than a prime Joe Thornton, shouldn't be seen as top tier hardware.

I think it's the most context-dependent award there is. Ovechkin winning his first with 65 goals is more valuable than Benn winning his Art Ross with 87 points. But there are cases like Nash where it shouldn't be weighed as a 1st tier trophy.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I think it's the most context-dependent award there is. Ovechkin winning his first with 65 goals is more valuable than Benn winning his Art Ross with 87 points. But there are cases like Nash where it shouldn't be weighed as a 1st tier trophy.

Not to take away from Ovechkin's Rockets or anything - but he's the perfect way to show to why the Rocket doesn't mean as much.

Put up his Rocket wins/finishes vs his Hart finishes.
When he has a good/great season, he either wins the hart or finishes high.
When he doesn't have as good/great a season - he's way back, if any votes in the hart.

Scoring goals is great - and many times the player who scores the most goals is having a season worthy of hart contention. But - not always

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad