Fair play points - what is this?

biffs

Jan 9, 2008
www.failrun.com
www.failrun.com
Ok so I'm looking at my son's standings but I'm more than a little confused about this new way of ranking teams. Its in the Aylmer minor hockey (Quebec), hopefully someone can shed some light on this for me.

here is his record:

--GP--W---L---T---GF--GA--PT--FP--LP--TP--
--8---1----4---3---11--22---5---8---8---21

FP=Fair Play
LP=League Points

So the PT is his points (2 for W, 1 for T), and total points is Points + League Points + Fair Play.

How is league points and fair play calculated? It almost looks like every team gets a point for every game they play.

berzark

Nov 3, 2010
Hi, I live in gatineau and play juvenile.

Fairpoints is if you stay under a certain amount of penalty minutes, like the previous poster explained. I think its a bit over 10.

League points I would assume that it's every game you complete you get a point. So 8 games played, 8 league points.

Crappy points system in my opinion but hey what can you do.

SJGoalie32

Apr 7, 2007
TealTown, USA
How is league points and fair play calculated? It almost looks like every team gets a point for every game they play.

Not 100% sure on this, but given the other explanations it sounds like the FairPlay Pts are designed to punish teams that engage in excessively dirty play (usually resulting in excessive penalties, fights, game misconducts, etc.)

The League Points sound like a way to punish teams that don't show up with enough players and have to forfeit.

HC Ref

Jan 4, 2011
Fair play points ("Franc Jeu" in Quebec) are given to teams who stay under a certain number of penalty minutes in a game. That number varies depending on the level.

For Novice the Fair Play point is awarded for 8 or less minutes in penalties. Atom is 10, PeeWee is 12, Bantam is 16, Midget is 20 and Junior is 22.

Also, during playoffs and certain tournaments, if a team goes over the allowed Fair Play points, they are assessed a 5-minute penalty to start overtime!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->