Fair or not fair?

phiflyers2003

Nov 1, 2006
For my mens league we only have 3 teams. My team the gladiators consist mostly of guys 20-30, but we don't have one superstar player we play as a team. The other two teams the Wings and Free Agent team however are very different.

The wings an all russian team has nobody under the age of 30 and were moved up a division since the won in the lower division in the fall season. so we beat them the first game 4-2 mind you it was our first game together as a team and we had to wear these tight ass yellow pennies that made me wanna throw up thats how tight they were around us. The wings did have two jerseys though but being dicks like they usually are they decided to wear what they wanted to wear. So the second game they decided to bring a player who basicially was their whole team. Scoring all five of their goals beating us 5-3. But they would sit him once they had a 2 goal lead, we were losing 4-1 then made it 4-3 then they immediately put him back on the ice.

The third team free agents is a team supposely composed of random players signin up just to play on a team. First game we played them we lost 9-5. Once again one player was their whole team scoring 6 goals and had 3 assists.

So is it fair to bring players to play in a mens league that were once considered good enough to be playin pro, when there is a mens league for players like this not to far away from where we play?

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY
I don't know if they were good enough to play pro, but I know what you mean. I've seen guys who are way too good to be playing in lower leagues but play there anyway. I think it's bs and isn't fair because then you have teams who are as you said one player. If a team is good they should be a good TEAM, not have one player on the team who goes around everyone.

I've heard of leagues who after a season if you're too good they'll force you out of the league and to a higher division, of course mine doesn't do this, but it makes the competition much more even.

A problem that also occurs is that a lot of teams like to bring in ringers, and most leagues don't check to make sure everyone who is on the team actually belongs on that team.

phiflyers2003

Nov 1, 2006
Yea thats the only thing i hate, i mean its not a check league, if it was we might have a chance, but if they still play we might just have double or triple team the one guy. I only said their good enough to be consider pro cause my high school teacher and ice hockey coach was drafted by the Nordiques and they were just as good as him. Of course my coach by the time i played with him may not of been as good since he did have a career ending injury but he was still real good.

sorno

Jun 23, 2006
Enjoy the competition-back in 90's, there was a summer league in the Twin Cities that had a lot of D1 and NHL players mixed in with the beer leaguers. The North Stars even had a team play one year. Some days it was a who's who of Twin Cities Hockey, others it was just a bunch of regular guys. We had our share of ringers, but it did not matter much on the outcome since all the players were so competitive. We enjoyed playing in the league so much that it did not matter who was on the other team or what the score was. We just met in the parking lot afterwards and had a few beers and laughs.

Have fun.

phiflyers2003

Nov 1, 2006
Yea were still having fun but im just implying i don't think people pay $300 to lose. I mean even still we can compete with these two teams, but if i asked my high school hockey coach to play i bet they would flip.

sorno

Jun 23, 2006
Your still having fun, that is why you are paying money to do this. Enjoy the competition and playng against players who are better than you. Challenge yourself.

The other thing you can do is call in Ogy Oglethorp and goon it up.

nni

Dec 29, 2005
any league i have ever played in is like this. my league has recently begun rating people and limiting rosters. it is annoying but it happens in any mens league in any sport.

Hank19

Apr 11, 2005
I play in a league with 6 teams where every player is ranked from 1 to 4. They redraft every year and make sure each team has equal talents.
It's by far the best run and organized league I've ever played in. It also keeps the cheap shotting to a minimum. Most guys don't want to be idiots because chances are you're going to play with them next year. It also gets everyone familiar to every player. Most guys wouldn't slash, spear or hack a buddy.

But to answer the initial posters answer, I don't see anything wrong with bringing in a superstar to score all your goals. It's not the pros and if nobody likes it they can always leave.
Besides, I've found that a majority of teams don't like to be one man shows. Most players get bored with that.

multiball

Sep 12, 2005
NoHo
I'm in a similar men's league in El Segundo, CA at the Kings' practice facility. There are 3 or 4 other leagues around Southern CA, but this one actually takes inventory of the stats and "advances" players who are sandbagging in our mid-level league. It's a big reason we play there. Guys who average 4 or 5 points a game don't last long. It keeps the games competitive and the league fun.

Sandbaggers need the boot.

EmptyNetter

Jun 22, 2006
North Shore, MA
Stinks that following the rules puts you behind. In our league it happens a bit. I'm on a D-level team and we have a bit of trouble finding enough players to fill a roster. If we don't fill all the spots the team has to "buy out" the spots -- any team needs to guarantee 15 skaters plus a goalie so it's very cost effective to take paying players of any skill level if you can get away with it. If your roster's not filled you could always get your own ringer (your coach?).

Wooty

Dec 31, 2006
Harbor City, CA
Redrafting the league sounds intesting. What about people who want to play together?

Players that are too strong should reconize this themselves and take it
easy. They should play D and never carry the puck into the zone etc.

Last season my low level team had an EX NHL Player on it. He never showed up but I was curious what would happen if he did.

technophile

Oct 10, 2005
Austin, TX
www.randomtree.org
I'm kind of torn about high-level players. On the one hand, the best way to get better is to play with/against people who are better than you. On the other hand it's kind of cheesy to see someone who can clearly outplay the entire other team by themselves. We had a couple of those guys in our C league last season, and it can be absolutely no fun to play against them.

[Redrafting the teams] also keeps the cheap shotting to a minimum. Most guys don't want to be idiots because chances are you're going to play with them next year. It also gets everyone familiar to every player. Most guys wouldn't slash, spear or hack a buddy.
Exactly. Our league kind of got away from that the last few seasons (allowed "protecting" players, allowed goalie captains, etc) and this summer there were multiple fights etc. Shaking up the teams regularly is really, really good for a league, I think.

Redrafting the league sounds intesting. What about people who want to play together?
At least in our league (which redrafts every season), you can request to play with someone else, but it's up to the captains to decide whether they honor that request or not. Usually they do, at least for relatives (we have a father/son pair who almost always play together).

frito

Jan 27, 2007
Cincinnati
I'm a bit torn as well. It all depends on how the dominent player acts and plays the game. If the dominent player just makes it a one man show then (s)he should be given the boot to a higher division. If the dominent player takes a role of mentoring the less skilled players, helping them out with positioning, setting them up etc. then by all means let them in the league. I think every lower level team should have such a player on it so newbies can learn the game and improve. I played on a team with such a player and it really helped. The guy could skate circles around eveybody if he wanted to but he saw no excitement in that. He did see excitement in helping players new to the game such as me at the time.

sorno

Jun 23, 2006
If a guys skill is clearly above everyone elses, and he wants everyone to know by being a one man show, then the only thing you can do is goon him. It is perfectly acceptable according to hockey "man" laws to let him have it. You don't want to permanently injure someone, but a few bruises should relay the message that you are in a hack league and only hacks should be playing.

Wooty

Dec 31, 2006
Harbor City, CA
I have found as I have aged (41 now and climbing!) my will to win and need to compete have dropped. The younger players are much more into wining, dominating, showing off then the older players.

I kind of like myself better then them. :)

phiflyers2003

Nov 1, 2006
To update the situation both teams who had their superstar players aren't allowed to play anymore. We haven't played either of the teams since so i dont know how good they are without them.

Bob Clarke Fan Club

Feb 14, 2003
Visit site
If a guys skill is clearly above everyone elses, and he wants everyone to know by being a one man show, then the only thing you can do is goon him. It is perfectly acceptable according to hockey "man" laws to let him have it. You don't want to permanently injure someone, but a few bruises should relay the message that you are in a hack league and only hacks should be playing.

That's pretty weak in a beer league...everybody has to go to work the next day and where I come from, it's called bush league. Just have some fun and you may even learn a little from these players. No doubt, it is frustrating having someone skate circles around you.

Bob Clarke Fan Club

Feb 14, 2003
Visit site
I have found as I have aged (41 now and climbing!) my will to win and need to compete have dropped. The younger players are much more into wining, dominating, showing off then the older players.

I kind of like myself better then them. :)

Well said...oldtimers where I'm from starts at 35 years old and it doesn't usually take long for the guys who are eligible to get in there. No hacks and it's all about going out for a skate and having a few beer.

sorno

Jun 23, 2006
I guess you missed the point. I said have fun, challenge yourself, and have a beer afterward. IF it bothers you so much about getting schooled, then pull a Bobby Clarke or classic Philly Flyer Tactic and make it miserable for them to show up. Please Reference 1972 turning point in the Summit Series and good old number 16 taking out the commies best player with a hack. I though all you Philly fans were proud of your heritage. Please note, all comments are tongue in cheek.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->