Factions effect on impasse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaynsaw

Jan 28, 2005
I am sure most of you have heard recent reports on the two factions within the NHLPA. Those that realize the current state of the game want the best deal now before it gets worse, or those that think they can get a better deal by waiting.

My question is if the NHL's knowledge of these two factions makes a case for impasse stronger. Can they say "How can we make a deal with them if the can't even agree among themselves."

I do realize that if impasse is an option it will not happen to possibly January if at all.

Weary

Jul 1, 2003
If there really are these two warring factions, I would think that decertification is a more likely outcome than impasse. Decertifying would give both factions what they want most. The "let's just play" group gets to play. The "let's no sign a bad deal" group gets to avoid signing the CBA.

Shaynsaw

Jan 28, 2005
Weary said:
If there really are these two warring factions, I would think that decertification is a more likely outcome than impasse. Decertifying would give both factions what they want most. The "let's just play" group gets to play. The "let's no sign a bad deal" group gets to avoid signing the CBA.

From the reading i have done Goodenow is said to be in the wait a see camp. If the Association does decertify don't they risk players in one camp forming a new union, and making a deal with the NHL, then they other players will have to take it or not play in the league.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Decertification would be a complete disaster for most members of the 'PA. You have to keep in mind that decertification is a two way street -- the owners could go to town on stripping away any number of benefits enjoyed by the players. The standard player contract, for one thing, would disappear, and all the benefits that go along with that. The league could also unilaterally cut roster sizes, play with the length of the season and playoffs without player approval, change rules and equipment regulations without player approval, etc. They could also change the rules on sending players to the minors, waivers and recall, slash meal per diems and complimentary tickets, etc.

For as much as the agents might not be unanimously thrilled with the emerging deal, decertification would be far worse for them. They would unanimously advise their clients to reject decertification, which is why it would never pass a vote at the 'PA membership level.

nyr7andcounting

Feb 24, 2004
If the split gets bad enough and becomes public and it does stop the PA from coming to an agreement with the NHL, than I would think it is something that would help a possible NHL case for impasse. But, I think both sides would fire some people before they let it go to impasse and that could change the whole process, so I don't think it will ever get there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad