Faceoffs: tossing a player who lost the faceoff

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
A situation occurred in the TBL-CAR game that I've never understood, always wondered why faceoff "violations" (whatever those are, technically) aren't handled as advantage situations by the linesmen/referees. The situation last night: TBL on the PP in the CAR zone, TBL's Boyle and CAR's McClement face off, McClement wins it, but play is whistled dead as the CAR player was about to clear the puck. Result: Boyle is tossed from the circle, and the faceoff is done again.

(never mind that it completely pissed me off because TBL eventually won the faceoff and almost immediately scored from it. :))

My question: why do the linesmen/referees not play the advantage in this scenario? If the offending player's team ends up with the puck, blow it dead and redo the faceoff, but if the other team ends up with it, play on.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Faceoff has a much larger impact than I think spurgeon was a really so, you hear me

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Nonetheheless I know how to love you kids; i'm sure in joining you guys for at least a bit of Flames 2017, that's not simply right around the corner

Stjonnypopo

Rgesitreed Uesr
Jan 26, 2009
Mount Doom
I can't say what happened in your situation but I think the defending player has advantage and gets to put his stick down last. Maybe that's what happened?

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Nonetheheless I know how to love you kids; i'm sure in joining you guys for at least a bit of Flames 2017, that's not simply right around the corner

You make some excellent points.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
I can't say what happened in your situation but I think the defending player has advantage and gets to put his stick down last. Maybe that's what happened?

Sorry, I meant "offending" in terms of the player who is going to be kicked out of the face off circle. If the linesmen/referee sees a player do something to get them tossed, why not just wait a moment and see if his opponent gains control of the puck, and if so, let it ride?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad