Faceoff Question (NHL vs. IIHF Rules)

timelydewd

Jan 7, 2018
Hey, what's more exciting than a mundane rules question before a humongous game seven? ... Well, lots of things, but I'll ask anyway.

The NHL rulebook specifies that the center is to be replaced after the first faceoff violation - in this case, I am specifically referring to when a winger encroaches into the circle prematurely before the puck is dropped. The IIHF rules go a little deeper, if you will:

"If one of the other skaters not taking the faceoff enters the faceoff circle prematurely, and the puck has already been dropped, game action will be stopped and the faceoff will be re-taken, unless the opposing team gains possession of the puck. If play is stopped, the skater of the offending team taking the faceoff must be replaced."

My question is, would the NHL follow the same procedure? The NHL rules only cover when the puck has yet to be dropped, whereas the IIHF has this. There are subtle (and some not-so-subtle) differences between the two sets of rules, but I could see the NHL linesmen following this protocol. Anyone have any idea? It certainly makes good sense. I assume in cases where possession is murky, they hold it again.

I remember asking this about six months ago, to understandably little fanfare or response. Might as well give it another go.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad