Facebook group - The Hockey News/Book Collector (featuring nearly 4,000 photos)

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Hey guys,

I’d like to state right off the bat that I'm not selling anything. I make zero money from the page. It's simply a way for me to keep track of my collection that I've worked extremely hard on over the years, and I figured some of you may be interested in checking it out.

I have set up a facebook page featuring nearly 4,000 items in my collection which includes the covers for EVERY single issue of The Hockey News ever published, spanning 1947-1948 to present day. It’s a fun little tour through the history of the game as told by the THN covers over the years.

Also included are the covers to over 1,000 hockey books from my collection. You may come across some you have never heard of and are interested in checking out, or you may see some you recognize from your childhood and forgot all about.

When clicking on “photos” you’ll see a bunch of separate albums that have been created for books, magazines, and Hockey News organized by years. Viewing the individual albums are the easiest way to look through the collection.

If anyone is interested in checking it out, please click here: Log In or Sign Up to View

Thanks guys! I’m up to nearly 300 followers now - quite a few from HF Boards I believe.

Last edited:

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Up to 20 page likes/followers now. Not sure how many are from HF Boards but thanks to whoever checked it out!

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Hey guys,

Hope this is allowed as I'm technically not advertising since I will be making no money from this group. It's just to show my collection that I've worked extremely hard on over the years and I figure you guys may find it neat.

I have set up a facebook group featuring over 3,000 photos that includes the covers for EVERY single issue of The Hockey News from 1947-1948 to present day. It is a very fun look through the history of the game told through THN covers over the years.

From time to time I may post some fun screenshots of old articles, photos etc.. and may even bring back my old HF "taking a look back" series in which I'd pull a random old issue and post some news and notes of the going-ons from that time in history.

If anyone is interested in joining to have a look at the photos please click here: https://www.facebook.com/hockeynewscollector/

Thanks guys!

Perhaps the link could be archived.

Last edited:

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Thanks! It took a lot of hard work over the years but was totally worth it!
I can relate. I received my first hockey book as a 4 year old kid. My mom would read it to me. At that point, she would pick up a different hockey book every year and I became fascinated with hearing about, and ultimately reading about, the great history of the game.

When I was about 11-12 years old I became a massive hockey collector - books, magazines, cards, toys, anything I could get my hands on. I would spend all of my spare money growing up on hockey stuff. I still collect today and have a whole area in my home dedicated to my collection. Like you, I have an enormous collection of books, magazines, DVDs and content. If I had to approximate, I have about 400 books and another 300 magazines. In fact, I have many of the titles you have on displayed your FB page.

It's great to see someone like yourself who is so passionate about the game, with such a thirst for knowing all about the history. And I love seeing there are other obsessed collectors out there as well!!

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
I can relate. I received my first hockey book as a 4 year old kid. My mom would read it to me. At that point, she would pick up a different hockey book every year and I became fascinated with hearing about, and ultimately reading about, the great history of the game.

When I was about 11-12 years old I became a massive hockey collector - books, magazines, cards, toys, anything I could get my hands on. I would spend all of my spare money growing up on hockey stuff. I still collect today and have a whole area in my home dedicated to my collection. Like you, I have an enormous collection of books, magazines, DVDs and content. If I had to approximate, I have about 400 books and another 300 magazines. In fact, I have many of the titles you have on displayed your FB page.

It's great to see someone like yourself who is so passionate about the game, with such a thirst for knowing all about the history. And I love seeing there are other obsessed collectors out there as well!!

That’s awesome! I also love to hear about fellow collectors. It’s a passion that comes easy for people who have collecting habits and also truly appreciate the wonderful history of this great game.

pappyline

Jul 3, 2005
Mass/formerly Ont
That is an incredible collection of old hockey news covers. I would love to look through some of those old papers. Do you have a searchable data base? I am interested in the 50's & 60's mainly.

Reactions: Killion

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
That is an incredible collection of old hockey news covers. I would love to look through some of those old papers. Do you have a searchable data base? I am interested in the 50's & 60's mainly.

Unfortunately I don’t. I post the odd picture of an article every now and then, but that’s it. THN would have to be the ones to make old issues available for viewing some day since they own the copyright. Hopefully they do eventually.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
It has been a few years so I thought I‘d give this a little bump for those who missed it the first time and would be interested in checking it out.

I’m up to over 240 “followers/likes” now. Not sure how many are from HF Boards but I believe a decent chunk are. Thanks again guys!

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Yeah, I'm logged in but can't see it. Anyone else...?

That’s very odd. I see you’re from Japan. Maybe it has to do with the default viewing settings. I remember when I first set the page up it defaulted to only being viewable in North America for some reason. I’ll see if I can change that.

vikash1987

Mar 7, 2004
New York
I “liked” it. Great collection! I think it would be great for THN to (a) creat a historical database of back issues, and (b) have fans/collectors be involved in the process of developing it

member 83027

I think it would be great for THN to (a) creat a historical database of back issues, and (b) have fans/collectors be involved in the process of developing it

It's already been done. They just have not been made available to the public as of yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad