Face-Off Violations ???

Purple Phart

Apr 4, 2016
I don't know how the rest of you feel about the most recent league crackdown on faceoff ettiquette, but personally, I found it to be quite frustrating during this season's playoffs. Numerous times players were tossed by the linesmen while lining up to face off. There seemed to be no rhyme or reason for some of the ejections, and there were also subsequent penalties called. There were situations where player from team A glided into position, and was immediately ejected, before ANY action by the linesman or the opposing player. It was almost as if the linesmen were intent on making the procedure all about them, and I felt it detracted from the actual game itself.

Now, I realize that the Memorial Cup is officiated by officials from all 3 leagues, so I'll be watching to see how the officials from the W and the Q handle this faceoff situation. Perhaps it's a CHL wide thing, but I strongly suspect that it's more OHL related.

Reactions: soo hound girl

BenchedGuy

Nov 26, 2009
Kitchener
I feel it was more of an OHL thing. I understand (don't agree) what they were trying to do but the execution was very badly done. They were trying to crack down on any unfair advantages. But by doing this, it seemed the linesmen were purposely trying to get violations to happen. I can not recall 1 faceoff in all of Kitchener's playoff games that a linesman dropped the puck immediately. If they would have, the timing would have been different and perception from fans might have been better received. I think they went overboard trying to correct what the league saw as a problem.

If they are serious about instilling faceoff violations, they should have handed out more penalties to correct it. I think that would have been worse but players would have been more cautious then instead of just getting tossed. Look at the IIHF for having strict faceoff rules, IMO you don't see as many players tossed out.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
I hate the face off situation now in the OHL. A few years back they wanted players to get lined up quicker so they made up a rule for that issue. It actually took some of the essence out of the game for the crowd. Fans use to holler about the players jockeying for position and it got them involved in the game. Now they continually throw players out of the face off and spend time reprimanding the players instead of dropping the damn puck which defeats the purpose of faster face offs. Rangers seem to get tossed about 80% of the time through my rose coloured glasses. It is frustrating to watch this every game of the season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->