Face off Technique

SpringfieldSkins

Jan 28, 2010
Springfield, VA
Just wondering what kind of technique the other centers of the board use and what kind advice they could offer.

Normally I grip my stick down low with my left hand real close to the blade (I'm a left shot) and try to get a wide, low stance. Sometimes I'll win and sometimes I'll lose. Most of the time I don't really draw it directly back but more towards my left wing.

I want to improve my face offs. I've tried tying up the other center to mixed success. I've tried knocking it forward to my right wing with very limited success. I'll also take a shot on goal if we are in the opponent's zone in the left face off circle.

Thoughts? Techniques? Advice?

TheOllieC

cajun filet
Jul 12, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Sometimes I turn really hard into the other guy, and use my butt to block him off the puck so I can tap it back to the D men

Yep. OP, continue using your wide stance and low grip if you prefer that and use your lower center of gravity to get underneath your opponent and swing it back to the D. I use my skate on the opposite side of the puck after the spin to prevent the other player from moving it backwards.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Study

Your basic technique seems more than adequate. At this stage to make a difference you have to study the game to get the small edges.

Study the linesmen/referees. Each has different techniques for dropping the puck. High/low, drop/toss,what each tolerates in the circle, etc.

Study the opposing centers.Handedness matters, you play a RHS differently than a LHS. This includes faceoffs.

Talk with other centers on your team. All centers have tendencies depending on situations. Some will telegraph their strategy some will not. The smart ones will game you.

Study the game situation. Recognize when it is best to scramble a draw, when the objective is to prevent the puck going to a certain player/spot, etc.

ConoR187

Aug 29, 2008
Columbus, Ohio
on the topic of faceoffs... anyone have tips on how to deal with refs who just throw the puck down making it bounce? happens alot in this league i play in with these fat lazy refs

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
on the topic of faceoffs... anyone have tips on how to deal with refs who just throw the puck down making it bounce? happens alot in this league i play in with these fat lazy refs

Talk with your captain, who should talk with the ref, if the ref gives you a hard time then theres really not much you can do...have captain go to rink manager/league manager and they should discuss with the refs.

SpringfieldSkins

Jan 28, 2010
Springfield, VA
Your basic technique seems more than adequate. At this stage to make a difference you have to study the game to get the small edges.

Study the linesmen/referees. Each has different techniques for dropping the puck. High/low, drop/toss,what each tolerates in the circle, etc.

Study the opposing centers.Handedness matters, you play a RHS differently than a LHS. This includes faceoffs.

Talk with other centers on your team. All centers have tendencies depending on situations. Some will telegraph their strategy some will not. The smart ones will game you.

Study the game situation. Recognize when it is best to scramble a draw, when the objective is to prevent the puck going to a certain player/spot, etc.

Being a LHS, how would you face off differently vs RHS and LHS. I'd bet a large majority of the centers I face are RHS considering where I am playing hockey.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

When I reffed I'd throw it down. It decreases the likelihood of someone hitting it before it touches the ice.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Details

Being a LHS, how would you face off differently vs RHS and LHS. I'd bet a large majority of the centers I face are RHS considering where I am playing hockey.

Dot and zone dictate objectives and strategies. NHL numbers from last season 181 LHS, 85 RHS at center.

LHS vs LHS, O(sticks at 11 and 5) or RHS vs RHS O(sticks at 1 and 7). Basically the quicker draw wins on the forehand(each trying to draw to the forehand).Backhand you have to be faster across the puck and pull back.Scramble or neutralize you have to get to his stick before it gets to the puck.

LHS vs RHS. O(sticks at 11 and 1) or RHS vs LHS, O(sticks at 5 and 7) . In all instances it is a matter of quickness. Quicker to the puck or to the opposing centers stick.

You should be positioning shoulders to your advantage. Closer advantage to what you want to accomplish on that specific faceoff. Also factor in Height, weight, reach, strength.

Last edited:

shoeshine boy

Aug 14, 2008
cheat, cheat and cheat some more.
find the things that work for you and also learn to accept that there are some centers that you just won't be able to beat.
I've found that not putting my stick all the way down to the ice works well for me. my blade is usually about 2 inches off the ice. most refs don't notice this and I'm usually able to get the puck before it even hits the ice.

smcgreg

Jul 18, 2013
None of your business
cheat, cheat and cheat some more.
find the things that work for you and also learn to accept that there are some centers that you just won't be able to beat.
I've found that not putting my stick all the way down to the ice works well for me. my blade is usually about 2 inches off the ice. most refs don't notice this and I'm usually able to get the puck before it even hits the ice.

I cheat by both holding stick off the ice like you, but also by not squaring up and lining up so that it's easier for me to draw sideways, but back to my D. Ironically, the refs almost always tell me to get my stick down, but very seldom have me square up. Last weekend got thrown out of the circle for not squaring, but that was a first for me in rec league since I started playing again.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com

Since most leagues don't have the NHL rule about using your hand, I use it for defensive zone draws (the most important ones). Get up underneath the opposite center's stick, gain leverage, swat the puck backwards towards your own corner. A technique I attribute to Jarret Stoll, but I'm sure it pre-dates him...

lurkndestroy

Apr 3, 2009
A little trick I picked up was as a right handed player I would hold my stick left handed with both palms down. This allowed me to cup the puck when sweeping it back. I found it much easier to move it back to my d-man if the puck was cradled by the curve.

intangible

Apr 28, 2010
When in doubt, learn from the best:

Check out that incredible technique. Granted, there's no puck there, but look how quickly and efficiently they can move the guy other guy's stick out of the way, then flip it back. Should be easier for us beer leaguers since refs aren't throwing the puck down like in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad