Face off statistics... -separate between first and second man in?

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Given the harder implementation of the second violation rule, the second man in to take the faceoff has a dilemma. Isn't it better to just lose the faceoff than to risk a minor? So, this means faceoff statistics should separate between first and second player to take the faceoff. More like first and second serve is separated in tennis-statistics. Is this just me?

(Edited just for the annoying typo)

Last edited:

morehockeystats

Unusual hockey stats
Dec 13, 2016
Columbus
morehockeystats.com
Given the harder implentation of the second violation rule, the second man in to take the faceoff has a dilemma. Isn't it better to just lose the faceoff than to risk a minor? So, this means faceoff statistics should separate between first and second player to take the faceoff. More like first and second serve is separated in tennis-statistics. Is this just me?
This is not trackable unless you watch the games and record the faceoff tosses yourself.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
This is not trackable unless you watch the games and record the faceoff tosses yourself.

The league and individual teams track this. Bowman used to have such data when coaching the Canadiens,not only for players but for officials as well. So it is tracked. Part of the evaluation of officials. Whether it is accessible is a different issue.

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
The league and individual teams track this.

Presumably, though, in the method that morehockeystats suggested.

I agree that there's going to be a difference between initial and subsequent faceoff takers. What percentage of faceoffs these days are subsequent faceoffs (after a violation)?

morehockeystats

Unusual hockey stats
Dec 13, 2016
Columbus
morehockeystats.com
The league and individual teams track this. Bowman used to have such data when coaching the Canadiens,not only for players but for officials as well. So it is tracked. Part of the evaluation of officials. Whether it is accessible is a different issue.
For me, what is not accessible, is not trackable. :)

Presumably, though, in the method that morehockeystats suggested.

I agree that there's going to be a difference between initial and subsequent faceoff takers. What percentage of faceoffs these days are subsequent faceoffs (after a violation)?

From what I've watched this year (and that's about ten games! :)) - about 20-25%.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
For me, what is not accessible, is not trackable. :)

From what I've watched this year (and that's about ten games! :)) - about 20-25%.

What was accessible years ago is a small fraction of what is accessible today especially given the decision by the NHL to "open" the archieves we have +/- back to 1960 and other gems.

Watching maybe 5% of the games is far from an adequate sample space given the number of referees and linesmen. Doubt that you have seen all of the on ice officials in 10 games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->