FA Game #2 by TP, RR, IR, feat. Bingo

TribalPhoenix

Former TribalPhoenix
Dec 2, 2005
Toronto
For me, signing Streit is a certainty.

Bigger question is who comes out.... Bryz? Briere? Or probably both?

And who plays in net? My guess says they give Streit most of Bryz money, and then give Backstrom 1/2 to 2/3 of Briere money.... wouldn't shock me to see Nicklas Backstrom in black and orange...

Dichow Stopper

Former ChuckyToGally
Aug 9, 2004
For me, signing Streit is a certainty.

Bigger question is who comes out.... Bryz? Briere? Or probably both?

And who plays in net? My guess says they give Streit most of Bryz money, and then give Backstrom 1/2 to 2/3 of Briere money.... wouldn't shock me to see Nicklas Backstrom in black and orange...

Would make a lot of sense. While Backstrom would be a solid pickup, I don't think that overpaying for Streit is a good idea. However, the FA pool is very thin and he is likely the best option. My problem is that they solve a problem to basically create another, ala New York Rangers.

Anyway, post the damn sign up thread IR. We are now talking about real life, don't you feel the urgency?

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
The smartest move is to acquire Luongo for the low price of Couturier + 11th overall pick. Obviously.

TribalPhoenix

Former TribalPhoenix
Dec 2, 2005
Toronto
Would make a lot of sense. While Backstrom would be a solid pickup, I don't think that overpaying for Streit is a good idea. However, the FA pool is very thin and he is likely the best option. My problem is that they solve a problem to basically create another, ala New York Rangers.

Anyway, post the damn sign up thread IR. We are now talking about real life, don't you feel the urgency?

That seems to be Holmgren's MO though - create holes to fill other ones, cross your fingers, and hope like hell that you capture lightning in a bottle.

Streit won't be the answer, ultimately - he's a very good defenceman, but he's more of what Timmonen brings, which doesn't solve their issues.

I'd try to address it with a depth guy like Scuderi. Veteran savvy, and provides good, solid play in a relatively limited role.

As far as their issues between the pipes, Backstrom makes all kinds of sense. Calm demeanor and solid skills. Could be a good fit.

BillyShoe1721

Terriers
Mar 29, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
That seems to be Holmgren's MO though - create holes to fill other ones, cross your fingers, and hope like hell that you capture lightning in a bottle.

Streit won't be the answer, ultimately - he's a very good defenceman, but he's more of what Timmonen brings, which doesn't solve their issues.

I'd try to address it with a depth guy like Scuderi. Veteran savvy, and provides good, solid play in a relatively limited role.

As far as their issues between the pipes, Backstrom makes all kinds of sense. Calm demeanor and solid skills. Could be a good fit.

Streit brings exactly what this team needs. Our defense needs mobility and the ability to break out the puck. Scuderi doesn't bring that at all.

The Hockey Hitman

Jul 26, 2006
Philly is delusional if they trade Couturier or Schenn. Build around those guys. Had so many injuries last season no reason to blow the team up. Keep Bryz. If he is terrible, buy him out next summer. He played better then the season before but the team as a whole stunk. Maybe you do buyout Briere, but there goes a proven playoff performer.

I just feel like Holmgren runs his team like a fantasy GM.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
The Flyers need a true #1 offensive d-man who can take control of a game on the back-end. Someone like Cam Barker.

IslesRock4

Ever Forward
Jul 21, 2007
Long Island
That's what I thought. Isn't he mostly seen as a PP QB that is becoming more and more a liability 5-on-5?

Yep. Can't get the terms OFD and PMD mixed up. Streit is not the latter. He'll sit behind his net for a while, slowwwwwly skate it out himself, and make a poor pass or entry. He does that on the PP a lot too. :laugh:

He's pretty damn good in the offensive zone though, as long as he is the only PP QB. Didn't mesh well with Visnovsky. He is great at getting low shots through for deflections/rebounds. Not sure that's what the Flyers need but he'll certainly bring that aspect.

The Instigator

Tom Wilson - NHL All Star
Feb 6, 2010
I'm doing the Rangers which will be funny because I don't like them and there's a hundred Rags fans to criticize me haha.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
:flyers

Andrej Meszaros is available for prospects/picks.
Same goes for Danny Briere, but he might need to go to a team that is close to Philly.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Philly is delusional if they trade Couturier or Schenn. Build around those guys. Had so many injuries last season no reason to blow the team up. Keep Bryz. If he is terrible, buy him out next summer. He played better then the season before but the team as a whole stunk. Maybe you do buyout Briere, but there goes a proven playoff performer.

I just feel like Holmgren runs his team like a fantasy GM.

I disagree. Streit isn't the answer IMO, I made that clear much to the chagrin of Flyers fans in the Streit thread. :laugh:

If they can move Couturier for a first pairing puck mover, they'd be stupid not to do it. They have no top defensive prospects coming through their system, and while they have a decent blueline, they severely lack a capable puck mover. It'll be even worse when Timonen retires.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad