F Zayde Wisdom - Kingston Frontenacs, OHL (2020, 94th, PHI)

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014
If you asked me at the beginning of the year if he had any hope of getting drafted I'd say you were delusional - but we're almost at the halfway point and he's 3 pts under PPG. Does any one think he's got a shot at getting drafted? I'm sure most will say he's a product of Wright, but I've watched almost all their home games and the kid has power, he makes an impressive drive to the net almost once per game.

I think he could be a late round guy, his play style fits perfectly on an energy 4th line. Any one else have any opinions of him?

EP:
Zayde Wisdom at eliteprospects.com

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
His skating has improved massively since his MM and even rookie season last year. Fearless player who is always on the attack and has good enough hands and finishing ability to be a pro player IMO. I think he's definitely trending towards being a mid-later round pick. He and Shane Wright have developed great chemistry.

Reactions: MatthewFlames

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Parents gotta stop making up names

Agreed hahaha...and also changing up the ways of spelling names too lol. It always makes me laugh when you see names spelled differently cause the kid will forever be correcting people on name spelling. I once went to a game and between the 2 teams there were 4 different Caydens all spelled differently .... Cayden, Kaiden, Kayden and Kaeden lol

Reactions: nally

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Gotta give some credit to this dude as well. Amazing player too, not just Wright & Chromiak.
About 30 goals and 60 points in 58 games this season so far.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Big fan of him and a very good potential darkhorse in the mid-tier rounds (thinking 4th-ish personally), he's looked better than Wright in a lot of the games I've seen. Shane has more pure, raw, and better talent, but Wisdom does so many things well that allows him to showcase his talent. I think the biggest positive of his game is that his athletic ability is quite good and his skating got good enough where he's able to beat a lot of defenders on the forecheque.

However, it's not just athletic ability as he tends to always make the right decisions with the puck and plays out of nothing. His most underrated part is his puck skills, he's able to do a lot of intelligent puck flips with himself and make moves that really open up space for either him or his teammates. He's a very hard-playing north to south player that reminds me a lot of Jake DeBrusk, but I consider Wisdom having a better field of vision and create plays out of nothing. Though, both tend to have blinder problems out times and look to be better 1v1 players against defenders than a player like Marner where his playmaking with teammates is one of his main forte.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Big fan of him and a very good potential darkhorse in the mid-tier rounds (thinking 4th-ish personally), he's looked better than Wright in a lot of the games I've seen. Shane has more pure, raw, and better talent, but Wisdom does so many things well that allows him to showcase his talent. I think the biggest positive of his game is that his athletic ability is quite good and his skating got good enough where he's able to beat a lot of defenders on the forecheque.

However, it's not just athletic ability as he tends to always make the right decisions with the puck and plays out of nothing. His most underrated part is his puck skills, he's able to do a lot of intelligent puck flips with himself and make moves that really open up space for either him or his teammates. He's a very hard-playing north to south player that reminds me a lot of Jake DeBrusk, but I consider Wisdom having a better field of vision and create plays out of nothing. Though, both tend to have blinder problems out times and look to be better 1v1 players against defenders than a player like Marner where his playmaking with teammates is one of his main forte.

Would be a smart pick in that range.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
A fourth-round pick, 73rd overall in the 2018 OHL Priority Draft, Zayde Wisdom broke out in his second season in the league. The Kingston Frontenacs forward put up 29 goals and 30 assists for 59 points in 62 games before the season was cut short due to the COVID-19 pandemic. He was part of helping the rebuilding Frontenacs be in playoff position when the season ended. This came one year after Wisdom struggled as an OHL rookie in 2018-19. He put up just three goals and seven assists for 10 points in 60 games for the worst team in the league.

Wisdom spent the 2017-18 season with the Toronto Junior Canadiens in the GTHL. He put up 15 goals and 53 points in 57 games. He helped the Junior Canadiens to the OHL Cup, where he would put up three goals and eight points in seven games helping to win the tournament. Wisdom, the son of bi-racial parents (his father is Jamaican and his mother is Metis), was raised by his mother and grandmother in Toronto. Faced with many challenges in his childhood, as profiled by Scott Wheeler in The Athletic, Wisdom is a player that one can’t help but cheer for.

Our full report
https://lastwordonhockey.com/2020/06/20/zayde-wisdom-scouting-report/

Reactions: Artorius Horus T

Sens With Benefits

Feb 4, 2010
Canada
Just heard an interview on TSN 1200 Ottawa with this kid. Man, is he mature beyond his years. His story is amazing and it reminds me of Simmonds/Stewart when they were younger. His family had trouble making ends meet let alone having him and his brother play hockey. Other families would help pay so they could play. Extremely high character and I think he will be a steal in the later rounds. I will post the link later when it’s available.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad