F Zachary Bolduc - Quebec Remparts, QMJHL (2021, 17th, STL)

Andy Lehoux

Jan 2, 2018
Here's a quick breakdown of Zachary Bolduc game on October 2nd against Victoriaville.

Summary:
It was a tough game for Rimouski, who clearly had difficulties both offensively and defensively at 5v5. Still, looking closely at Bolduc, we can catch a smart 2-way center with excellent goalscoring potential.

If he didn’t generate many opportunities at even strength, Bolduc really stood out on the man advantage thanks to his great poise, decision-making and positioning. He seemed to dictate the pace of the play when he got possession, staying calm as he dissected his options. His superior hockey IQ is quickly noticeable, as he communicates information with his partners and can exploit open spaces left by the defense. His puck distribution was decent, as he opened the play well and didn’t force risky passes. That said, Bolduc is clearly more of a goalscorer than a playmaker, and he could definitely make a living off just getting open in dangerous areas and finishing the job. It didn’t translate into a goal this time around, but it was very close a few times.

Bolduc is rarely going at full speed, but he showed flashes of an excellent motor and compete to apply sounded pressure, and get back on defense quickly in transition. He’s not running around the ice chasing the puck, he prefers to stay in his spot and put calculated pressure on the puck carrier. He appears to take pride in his defensive responsibilities, getting down low to help his defensemans and get involved in corners. I was very impressed with his board play, as he showed good strength and stick work to separate many attackers from the puck, leading to many takeaways. If that is something he can do on a consistent basis, he could be one of the best defensive center of the draft.

All things considered, I would still like to see him get more involved in the game, whether it be with more puck touches in transition, or simply use his quickness to get into spots quicker. He can be a fraction of a second too late on a play, simply because he seemed so relaxed or got caught watching the puck. He clearly processes information swiftly, as he made great decisions in pressured situations and jumped quickly on some loose pucks. That said, he’s rarely ready to explode off the blocks, which is a result of a lack of consistency in his intensity or/and quickness. He’s too often drifting around without much intent, maybe trying to conserve is energy.

Bolduc seemed to have nice leg extensions on his strides and a decent speed, but he never really used it at his advantage, often gliding around and using his smarts to make plays. I find his mobility to be really interesting though, as every movement appears to be fluid and effortless. He flashed nice edgework and quick, seamless turns with the puck.

With the departure of multiple big pieces for Rimouski, including Lafrenière, Bolduc has the opportunity to really take the reins of this team. Today, his elite skillset was evident, but he failed to really move the needle for his team in even strength situations and had a few consistency issues. I want to see him carry the puck more, move his feet quicker and get to the net more often. He has good flashes in every area, just needs to find consistency. I’ll keep an eye on how this develops for him, but at worst, I could definitely see Bolduc translating as a smart two-way goalscorer who might play more often than not away from the puck.

Can’t wait to see how he adjusts his play to his new role with Rimouski throughout the season.

Reactions: Fenris

JoshTessler

Jun 18, 2020
Just published my scouting report on Zachary Bolduc. Let me know if you have any questions.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
In what was an incredibly weird season throughout the hockey world. Perhaps no league was weirder than the QMJHL who started up in the fall; saw some divisions play while others were shut down; eventually saw the entire league shut down; and then played some games in the spring. One of many prospects affected by this was Rimouski Oceanic centre, Zachary Bolduc. He played just 27 games, scoring 10 goals and 29 points on the season. However, he could not complete his campaign as a lower-body injury in late March took him out.

Bolduc, the 14th overall pick in the 2019 QMJHL Draft, originally considered skipping the CHL and going the USHL/NCAA route. However, after just two games with Sioux City in 2019, he left the USHL and joined Rimouski. Bolduc scored 30 goals and 22 assists for 52 points in 55 games in 2019-20. He led all rookies in goals and took home honours as QMJHL Rookie of the Year, Offensive Rookie of the Year, and being named to the All-Rookie Team. He also played in five games with two goals and five points for Team Canada Red at the Under-17 World Hockey Challenge.

2021 NHL Draft #27: Zachary Bolduc Scouting Report

Andy Lehoux

Jan 2, 2018
Here's my Deep Dive on Zachary Bolduc for anyone interested! 3000 words, 21 clips and 5 charts on the 2021 NHL Draft eligible.

"In what was an extremely turbulent season, the battle offered from the top 2021 NHL Draft eligibles from the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League seemed to have been even more chaotic.

Between Zachary Bolduc, Zachary L’Heureux, Zach Dean and Xavier Bourgault, all showcased snippets of their full talent, but either failed to display any sort of consistency, or presented glaring drawbacks as top prospects. Despite multiple injuries and some erratic performances, Bolduc has flashed the highest potential of the group. His goalscoring prowess, smarts in traffic and defensive anticipation were on full display this year, which earns him my vote for the top QMJHL draft eligible.

But what’s the full prize with Bolduc? Which areas of his game could allow him to leave his mark at the next level, and what tendencies will he need to fix before making the jump?

Having watched every game of his this season, and collected hours of clips, here’s my best attempt at breaking down his game."

Deep Dive: A look into Zachary Bolduc's game - FCHockey

Zachary Bolduc Scouting Report Thumbnail 2.1 (3).jpg

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Here's my Deep Dive on Zachary Bolduc for anyone interested! 3000 words, 21 clips and 5 charts on the 2021 NHL Draft eligible.

"In what was an extremely turbulent season, the battle offered from the top 2021 NHL Draft eligibles from the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League seemed to have been even more chaotic.

Between Zachary Bolduc, Zachary L’Heureux, Zach Dean and Xavier Bourgault, all showcased snippets of their full talent, but either failed to display any sort of consistency, or presented glaring drawbacks as top prospects. Despite multiple injuries and some erratic performances, Bolduc has flashed the highest potential of the group. His goalscoring prowess, smarts in traffic and defensive anticipation were on full display this year, which earns him my vote for the top QMJHL draft eligible.

But what’s the full prize with Bolduc? Which areas of his game could allow him to leave his mark at the next level, and what tendencies will he need to fix before making the jump?

Having watched every game of his this season, and collected hours of clips, here’s my best attempt at breaking down his game."

View attachment 452924

Nhl comparable?

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth

View attachment 452924

Thank you for this. McKenzie had Bolduc at 19, which is the Preds pick and I really didn't have a clue about this guy. This helped a ton.

Reactions: Andy Lehoux

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
This kind of highlight is far more impressive to me than a Michigan or incredible breakaway move. Superior skill, but rooted in hard work and tenacity.
love that goal....Bolduc showed super hard work ethic and that is what has players succeed past the juniors...any team would love to have this kid IMO...

Reactions: Dominance

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
Kids on fire since the start of December. After his 4 point night yesterday he sits at 53 in 39.

Him and Theo rochette (undrafted overager) are like 20 points ahead of the next closest person on the team.

Reactions: Dominance

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad