F Yevgeni Mityakin - Neftekhimik Nizhnekamsk, KHL (2016 Undrafted)

AstoriaIceNinja

Feb 29, 2016
Astoria, NY (USA)
EP Link: http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=269050

Note: I haven't specified which forward position he plays because I don't know. EP just lists him as a forward.

So clearly stats aren't everything, but I found it rather perplexing that Mityakin didn't even get drafted this year. Sure, he's an older player for the draft (born 12/1997) with premier size at 6'3" and 194 lbs, so perhaps it might be expected for him to put up good numbers at the MHL level. But EP says Avto Yekaterinburg had a sub-.500 record last season (13-19 without factoring in OT wins and losses, of which there were 6 of each), and Mityakin still put up 28 points (15 goals, 13 assists) in 31 games.

Add on that he played in 16 KHL games, which is impressive on its own. Admittedly, he only played about for five minutes of ice time per game on average and less in the playoffs as per the KHL website, so given that I wouldn't particularly expect him to be put in many situations to score.

I think the kid has a bright future given Avtomobilist's tendency to give younger players bigger roles on the team (Golyshev and Tryamkin come to mind), and I think him playing most of his games in the KHL next year is not out of the question. Add in the possibility of a U20 WJC call-up (for which being older could likely be to his advantage), and it's not unreasonable to suggest someone makes up their this year's oversight and picks him up next season.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
I don't know about the ice-time of each player, but he was the only U19 player that played more than 5 games in the KHL without registering a point. Of the 7 forwards in front of him, only 2 are drafted (Guryanov and Kaprizov). He's got the size over most of them though.

The ''Russian factor'' is still present and that's why guys like him will either be life KHLer or Panarin-type players coming off their own accord to the NHL as FA.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
EP Link: http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=269050

Note: I haven't specified which forward position he plays because I don't know. EP just lists him as a forward.

He has played both C and W, I think he is a natural RW though.

So clearly stats aren't everything, but I found it rather perplexing that Mityakin didn't even get drafted this year.

Mityakin isn't a great skater and also isn't a power forward either, and it kind of hurt the draft stock. Still I think he is a very smart player and hopefully he will be able to work it out.

Sure, he's an older player for the draft (born 12/1997) with premier size at 6'3" and 194 lbs, so perhaps it might be expected for him to put up good numbers at the MHL level. But EP says Avto Yekaterinburg had a sub-.500 record last season (13-19 without factoring in OT wins and losses, of which there were 6 of each), and Mityakin still put up 28 points (15 goals, 13 assists) in 31 games.

His MHL production could be explained that due to team's injuries he had to play at center, which, imo, is not exactly his thing. Nevertheless almost ppg is a very good production level for MHL.

Add on that he played in 16 KHL games, which is impressive on its own. Admittedly, he only played about for five minutes of ice time per game on average and less in the playoffs as per the KHL website, so given that I wouldn't particularly expect him to be put in many situations to score.

I think the kid has a bright future given Avtomobilist's tendency to give younger players bigger roles on the team (Golyshev and Tryamkin come to mind), and I think him playing most of his games in the KHL next year is not out of the question.

Yes, I agree here, Avtomobilist's good experience with young players is one of the reasons why I'm quite positive about Mityakin. Lack of a good VHL affiliate is a concern here though.

Add in the possibility of a U20 WJC call-up (for which being older could likely be to his advantage), and it's not unreasonable to suggest someone makes up their this year's oversight and picks him up next season.

Here I think you have a bit of mistake - for the WJC squad he is actually younger than most of the guys, so that's actually a slight disadvantage.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
He didn't get drafted because he's Russian. I agree with Caser though about his skating, not good. Also isn't good defensively. I had him pegged as a fourth rounder, but with Russian players, its so hard to predict. Players like Abramov and Sokolov went so much later than they should've went.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Best season to date but he's now 24.

Is he past the point of being an NHL prospect or does his size make him someone worth watching?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad