F Yegor Sokolov (2020, 61st, OTT)

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
You can't teach size. Also seems to be strong. Was unstoppable strength wise at the WJC. Was out battling big players like Bahl. Reminded me of Greenway in his WJC year.
He'll get drafted by someone. As much as the league has drifted towards speed/skill, there is always a place for a big man.

Some Russian posters were dismissive of him, but he sure looked effective to me.

Reactions: Leaf Lander

Leaf Lander

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 31, 2002
BWO Headquarters
tmlfanszone.blogspot.com
I have seen sokolov play 20 games this season
He has a fire in his belly and a hunger to score
He is a unmovable bull in a china shop. Deadly within 15 feet of the goalie. You cnat teach what he can do offensively. His defence is picking up as the cape breton eagles are a well rounded squad.
If my leafs selected him barb underhill would turn him into a 100 million dollar player ( over the span of his career )

Sokolov should be selected before Francis who hasnt been the same player since he got his teeth knocked out in december.

Element reminds me of hyman a energy player who can score and defend and throw a great body check

Sokolov francis and element should alll be selected in this yrs draft.

Sokolov 2nd rnd
Francis 5th rnd
Element 7th rnd

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
I have seen sokolov play 20 games this season
He has a fire in his belly and a hunger to score
He is a unmovable bull in a china shop. Deadly within 15 feet of the goalie. You cnat teach what he can do offensively. His defence is picking up as the cape breton eagles are a well rounded squad.
If my leafs selected him barb underhill would turn him into a 100 million dollar player ( over the span of his career )

Sokolov should be selected before Francis who hasnt been the same player since he got his teeth knocked out in december.

Element reminds me of hyman a energy player who can score and defend and throw a great body check

Sokolov francis and element should alll be selected in this yrs draft.

Sokolov 2nd rnd
Francis 5th rnd
Element 7th rnd

Sokolov is a player I want for Montreal. They don't have anyone like him on the roster, or in the system in anyway.

I believe he would need to be signed, if not he's eligible and would be a Russian player in the AHL for Romanov if he comes over.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Sokolov is a player I want for Montreal. They don't have anyone like him on the roster, or in the system in anyway.

I believe he would need to be signed, if not he's eligible and would be a Russian player in the AHL for Romanov if he comes over.

They have 10 picks between the 2nd and 5th rounds. They can afford to take a high risk high reward type player.

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
On my wish list for the third round.

I wanted him last year in the late rounds as well. His speed has improved leaps and bounds after a hard working off-season. Still has a ways to go in that regard but you can't teach the type of goal scoring instincts this kid possesses.

The way he drives the net and protects the puck is a treat to watch.

cmcneil02

Dec 27, 2015
A risk pick but a pick I would take for sure. I can see him coming into the league a little later in his career some long good years on his designated AHL team going from a bottom 6 to a top 6 then when his skating improves and stays the healthy beast he is maybe we could see the NHL in him at 24 then eventually in the future could maybe be a 15-25 goal scorer by 28-29. Could be a far fetch but a guy that size with that kind of shot and grit could have some great potential. He was definitely helpful in the World Juniors for sure too. Just hope he stays healthy and improves every season. One long-term injury can hurt his game completely. Fingers crossed! Where do I see him drafted? I personally see him going Round 5 unless a team is thirsty and desperate. Not saying he can't go Round 3 but we will see!

Reactions: Leaf Lander

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
A risk pick but a pick I would take for sure. I can see him coming into the league a little later in his career some long good years on his designated AHL team going from a bottom 6 to a top 6 then when his skating improves and stays the healthy beast he is maybe we could see the NHL in him at 24 then eventually in the future could maybe be a 15-25 goal scorer by 28-29. Could be a far fetch but a guy that size with that kind of shot and grit could have some great potential. He was definitely helpful in the World Juniors for sure too. Just hope he stays healthy and improves every season. One long-term injury can hurt his game completely. Fingers crossed! Where do I see him drafted? I personally see him going Round 5 unless a team is thirsty and desperate. Not saying he can't go Round 3 but we will see!

Probably more likely to go in the 4-5 range given his age but he certainly has the type of upside worthy of going in the third in my view.

NHL Dude 120

Jun 18, 2011
Ottawa
NHL rankings have him 94th in north american skaters, im fine using the sens 3rd or perhaps one our later 2nd round picks on him. That said im kinda curious is he a pain in the ass to play against, i.e. a meanstreak sorta like Tkachuk?

Sens have enough prospects in that he won't need to be rushed in any way.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
He'll most likely be drafted and signed by some NHL team then assigned to their AHL/ECHL team. For this reason, I think it's better he develop in Russia until he's ready to seriously give the NHL a go. I don't think there's ever been a player ( do not count Kucherov ) who has done the CHL --> AHL --> NHL route and become more than a bottom 6/fringe NHL player. Much less from the ECHL.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
This guy has "Tampa Bay Lightning" written all over him. I would be the least surprised person in the world if we used our (late) 2nd on him

Conbon

Oct 4, 2016
London

You had Michael McCarron hopefully Sokolov works out better

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad