F Yegor Sokolov (2020, 61st, OTT)

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Good so far in juniors but not sure of his pro potential, his skating still needs improvement.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
12 goals, 14 assists, +13 and 62 SOG in 13 games so far this season. (9 points in his last 4 games)
- one of those, huh? why did he go undrafted 2018 & 2019 players

Dude is build like a firetruck; 6 foot 4 and 240 pounds.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
12 goals, 14 assists, +13 and 62 SOG in 13 games so far this season. (9 points in his last 4 games)
- one of those, huh? why did he go undrafted 2018 & 2019 players

Dude is build like a firetruck; 6 foot 4 and 240 pounds.

Both his speed and acceleration seem to be pretty poor.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Anyone can work on their skating thou.

Yes, but not everyone will succeed in elevating it to a top 0.01% level, which is what the NHL demands. If everyone could do it, everyone would.

He'll likely get a pro contract somewhere, too early to say what level. Two years with a dedicated development staff could work wonders.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Yes, but not everyone will succeed in elevating it to a top 0.01% level, which is what the NHL demands. If everyone could do it, everyone would.

He'll likely get a pro contract somewhere, too early to say what level. Two years with a dedicated development staff could work wonders.

True, not all make it, we all gotta wait and see.
He will get drafted thou (this time). Its his last draft year, next draft.

Tube Skates

May 12, 2016
This kid reminds me of Trenin. He’s not slow but he’s certainly not quick. Should be a good pro player in the end. Good hands and accurate shot. Great little saucer pass to set up a goal last night in the Halifax game. Thinks the game well and always seems to be on the correct side of his opponent. He leans on them without many obstruction penalties. There’s a lot of smallish players in the Q. He knows his advantages

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
Due is a 240lb 19 year old? If he's a bad skater now than it's more than likely not a strength issue.

He may be overweight too.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Due is a 240lb 19 year old? If he's a bad skater now than it's more than likely not a strength issue.

Being 240 lbs at 6'4 you can for sure still be fit. I don't know how he carries his weight but alot of football players are that size or bigger and are still fit and fast. Couple of the best running backs in the game are barely even 6 feet and are over 230 lbs. Sokolov just needs to work on his skating , simple.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I'd be curious to know what he's already done in terms of intensive skating training. He came up in the Chelyabinsk Traktor system, had the motivation to come to North America, and has been at Blue Jackets camps two summers now. It's not like he just strolled in from Kazakhstan.

I don't know how closely Jarmo considered signing him, but he's been in multiple camps with the Jackets already, and the latest just a month ago. It might have been just about the skating. Yegor did not look that good against pros. He scored a bit in scrimmages, if I remember correctly, but not much, and looked physically out of place next to quicker players. I'd love to know what Jarmo is thinking now. Could be some regret, but I'm not sure if his thinking has changed.

Also - when is the signing window for undrafted players? July 1st to October 1st? Something like that?

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
I would be offering this kid a contract immediately. Seems to have an amazing attitude and is working hard to improve skating and defense. Worst case scenerio he doesn't make it, best case you have a Maroon type fwd.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK

To put it in perspective, if you use the stats on NHL.com he'd be the joint 5th heaviest player in the NHL. Regular Q watchers, do you think he'd benefit from dropping 10-15lbs?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
To put it in perspective, if you use the stats on NHL.com he'd be the joint 5th heaviest player in the NHL. Regular Q watchers, do you think he'd benefit from dropping 10-15lbs?

Not an answer to your question, but he's also hunched over. Not sure if that's built in (like Lucic) or something he can fix. At Jackets development camp it looked worse than it has in the recent video I've seen of him in the Q.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->