F Yannik Valenti - Jungadler Mannheim, DNL (2019 Draft)

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Huh. I guess they just switch around a bunch then. I've seen Valenti many, many times over the past years and never at centre. He'll be a winger at the next level as well.

I think he was was only a temporary fill in when Fleischer missed a few games early in the season.

However, going forward I would certainly expect him to be a winger especially if he ever makes it to the NHL. I can't see him playing center at that level.

Trav

Aug 2, 2005
So with Valenti playing in Vancouver this year, does anyone know if its just for a year? I see on Elite prospects that he's on a loan to the Giants.

jnk96

Feb 25, 2013
At the rink.
So with Valenti playing in Vancouver this year, does anyone know if its just for a year? I see on Elite prospects that he's on a loan to the Giants.
Valenti signed a pro deal in Mannheim before this season. This has a number of advantages for everyone involved:
  • Mannheim gets security in case he comes back, knowing he'll return to them
  • Valenti gets security knowing he has a pro deal in place in case it doesn't work out in North America
  • Giants, Mannheim, and Valenti can evaluate how the season went and what's best for his development after the year
He'll get every chance to succeed in Vancouver, and if he does, I could see him staying in North America for good. Given how difficult it is for prospects to break into DEL lineups, especially in Mannheim, I could definitely see Valenti picking Vancouver over Mannheim for another season or more – if the Giants want to keep him.

Think he'll be better than Bokk?
Difficult to say, but I'm leaning towards no. Valenti's development curve was a little unusual. He was incredible at 14 and 15, then stagnated a bit. He still got better, but not nearly as much as I would've liked to see. Bokk was the exact opposite – I never thought he could be a first-round NHL pick, then he just exploded in his draft year.

Valenti is getting a great chance to prove he's got NHL talent in Vancouver and I hope he takes it and runs with it. He was fantastic in the final stretch of the 2017-18 season, and if he continues to play the way he did there – both in Mannheim and with Team Germany – I'm very optimistic for him. But to reach Bokk-level, he'll have to explode at least as much as Bokk did last season.

Reactions: a mangy Meowth

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad