F Yannik Valenti - Jungadler Mannheim, DNL (2019 Draft)

jnk96

Feb 25, 2013
At the rink.
Surprised there isn't a thread on this kid yet (I apologize if there is). Certainly doesn't have as much potential as Leon Draisaitl, but he might be the best German player since Draisaitl.

Birthday: 2000-09-24
Position: F
Shoots: R
Height: 176 cm / 5'9"
Weight: 72 kg / 159 lbs

2013-14: Valenti played in Group B (the weaker group) of Germany's highest under-16 league (Schüler Bundesliga) for EJ Kassel as a 13-year-old, and had 58 goals and 89 points in 26 games that year. Despite playing in the lower group with relatively weak competition, it is impressive to put up those numbers as a kid playing against 16-year-olds. He even played eight games for the under-18 team and scored four goals and seven points.
2014-15: Valenti started the following season in the under-16 league again, but after scoring 30 goals and 43 points in nine games, he was called up to the under-19 team that plays in the DNL 2, Germany's second-tier junior league. There, he had 12 goals and 31 points in 30 games as a 14-year-old, playing against teenagers/young adults who are up to five years older than him.
2015-16: Valenti started his 15-year-old season in the DNL 2 again, but after posting 17 goals and 34 points in 13 games, he joined the Jungadler Mannheim of the top-tier DNL.
There, he appeared in 15 games and recorded five goals and 13 points, playing against Germany's best junior players up to the age of 20. Valenti also played 16 games in Group A of the under-16 Schüler Bundesliga - which was the original plan Mannheim had for him - and had 30 goals and 39 points.
2016-17: Valenti will likely play the entire 2016-17 campaign in the DNL and showcase his abilities heading into his first year of CHL Import Draft eligibility. Junior teams are already showing interest in him.

With all that stat talk and league explanation out of the way, let's get to some observations:

Valenti is not only a terrific offensive player, but he displays great two-way ability. In Mannheim, he even spent time playing defense and got time on the penalty kill. At 5-foot-9 and 159, he is weaker than many of his opponents, but he makes up for that with great defensive awareness and aggressive play. He is a hard worker who does not shy away from being physical despite his small frame. A quick and agile skater - forward and backwards -, Valenti has little problems on the backcheck.
But, the area in which he excels is obviously offense. He plays hard, accurate outlet passes and can carry the puck out of danger himself. Valenti has good vision and offensive awareness and processes the game quickly enough to make quick decisions. He can distribute the puck to his teammates and has a nose for the net himself.

That was a lot of positivity and, honestly, there is nothing to dislike about this kid so far. I have no doubt that some CHL team will pick him up at the 2017 Import Draft, and that's when we will really see what he can do. Keep an eye on him!

ZINFINITY16

Dec 29, 2013
Ontario
Very informative post. Thank you :handclap: Seems like an exciting kid, but wow he dominated some of those leagues at such a young age its insane

jnk96

Feb 25, 2013
At the rink.
How does he compare to Tobi Rieder at the same age?
As a 15-year-old, Rieder had 113 goals and 177 points in 34 games in the U16 Schüler Bundesliga, so there's that. I don't know which group his team played in, though.

Also hard to compare him to Valenti because Rieder spent his entire minor career with the same club while Valenti constantly switched between leagues and most recently cities and clubs, which needs constant adjustment. Valenti also spent more time playing in higher age groups.

If you want to know an exact number comparison, Valenti's U16 numbers last season extrapolated to Rieder's 34 games would be 83 points, so less than half of Rieder's.

I do believe Valenti could be better defensively, but judging players at this age is obviously extremely hard. We will have to wait and see how he does later on, especially if he goes to NA.

Is he likely to come over to North America in 2017?

I know for a fact that there are CHL teams who have interest. However, the reason why he didn't join Mannheim -- Germany's junior powerhouse -- earlier is that he/his parents wanted him to focus on school first. But considering the fact that he moved from Kassel to Mannheim midway through the season and school year, it looks like they are willing to turn the focus to hockey. If he decides he wants to go to North America, he will find a team either in the CHL or the USHL. Teams might want to wait until 2018, but if he has a strong season in 2016-17 (and I'm confident that he will), there should be a team that is willing to pick him up in 2017.

Very informative post. Thank you :handclap: Seems like an exciting kid, but wow he dominated some of those leagues at such a young age its insane
As you can see in the Rieder comparison, those numbers should be taken with a grain of salt. As a 15-year-old, Leon Draisaitl had 97 goals and 192 points in 29 U16 games. But you also see where he is now -- not everyone dominates those relatively weak leagues like that.

JayKing

Go Habs Go
Dec 30, 2011
Montreal
I do believe Valenti could be better defensively, but judging players at this age is obviously extremely hard. We will have to wait and see how he does later on, especially if he goes to NA.

Interesting considering how good Rieder is defensively for the Yotes. Like you said we'll have to wait and see. Thanks for the info

jnk96

Feb 25, 2013
At the rink.
Interesting considering how good Rieder is defensively for the Yotes. Like you said we'll have to wait and see. Thanks for the info

Comparing Rieder back at Valenti's age. Never saw him play back then but it don't think he was much of a two-way player. Obviously different now and I could also be wrong.

Munchkin10

Feb 11, 2013
Chicago,Il
I thought I should just bump this with his stats from this year, seeing that the season is long over.

40GP- 20G-23A-43P and 5 goals in 4 playoff games.

He played three games in the U18 D1A championship as an underager but made little impact.

jnk96

Feb 25, 2013
At the rink.
Perhaps Germany's most promising prospect. Displays all the tools to be successful, but often struggles to translate them into production. Often has his head down and looks frustrated when things aren't going his way, so he might have some confidence issues. Excellent skater with great puck skills and absolutely outstanding hockey sense. If he improves his shot and can go on a little scoring streak to help his confidence, he could break out very soon. Could be a scorer at the CHL level in the future but is likely not ready.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Who is better him or Bokk? Might both be playing in the same league this year.

jnk96

Feb 25, 2013
At the rink.
Valenti probably has more potential, but Bokk has better tools to be safer in becoming an NHLer. Great year for Germany though so I'll take it.

Right now definitely Bokk. I agree with Valenti potentially having higher upside, though.

That said, I didn't think Valenti was ready for the CHL yet this year, and I've been told Bokk isn't allowed to report because of his pro contract in Cologne.

Trav

Aug 2, 2005
Right now definitely Bokk. I agree with Valenti potentially having higher upside, though.

That said, I didn't think Valenti was ready for the CHL yet this year, and I've been told Bokk isn't allowed to report because of his pro contract in Cologne.

I've been informed by a NHL european scout who knows his agent plus a family friend and they say there's a clause in Bokk's contract that allows him to play junior hockey in Canada. I just can't see PA taking a gamble on an import if there were questions about whether he'd report or not. Their a small market team who needs to get going.

jnk96

Feb 25, 2013
At the rink.
I've been informed by a NHL european scout who knows his agent plus a family friend and they say there's a clause in Bokk's contract that allows him to play junior hockey in Canada. I just can't see PA taking a gamble on an import if there were questions about whether he'd report or not. Their a small market team who needs to get going.

That would definitely make the most sense. However, Bokk's agent personally told me he won't be allowed to report.

Also of note, there were some other teams interested in Bokk who picked VERY early (including teams before PA), who had no info on Bokk's willingness to report whatsoever. Some didn't even know who his agent was.

Last edited:

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Germany has beat Switzerland, Slovakia and Czech Republic in U18 five nations tournament and he has scored 6 goals for Germany and also one assist.

Maybe the best German junior team ever? They haven't played Finland yet. They will tomorrow.

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Germany has beat Switzerland, Slovakia and Czech Republic in U18 five nations tournament and he has scored 6 goals for Germany and also one assist.

Maybe the best German junior team ever? They haven't played Finland yet. They will tomorrow.

There were the teams that featured Draisaitl, Kahun, F.Tiffels, Eisenschmid, Kammerer, Möser, Bender, etc. that were probably better.
In 2012/13 there was also an U20 team that had Rieder, Pföderl, Uvira, Draisaitl, Kahun, F.Tiffels and Latta, which was pretty amazing.

But those 2000/01/02 birth years are looking really good. I hope they can continue that trend.
The Heigl twins and Valentino Weißgerber are looking promising for the '03 crop, but it's a little early to get overly excited.

Valenti has definitely taken a big step forward this season, and I hope he can continue that throughout this season and his draft year.

Reactions: FinPanda

FinPanda

Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
There were the teams that featured Draisaitl, Kahun, F.Tiffels, Eisenschmid, Kammerer, Möser, Bender, etc. that were probably better.
In 2012/13 there was also an U20 team that had Rieder, Pföderl, Uvira, Draisaitl, Kahun, F.Tiffels and Latta, which was pretty amazing.

But those 2000/01/02 birth years are looking really good. I hope they can continue that trend.
The Heigl twins and Valentino Weißgerber are looking promising for the '03 crop, but it's a little early to get overly excited.

Valenti has definitely taken a big step forward this season, and I hope he can continue that throughout this season and his draft year.
Ok. I was just really impressed about how they have played in this tournament. Their record is great.

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Ok. I was just really impressed about how they have played in this tournament. Their record is great.

I'm impressed as well, although I am worried about the number of penalties they have taken in every game.
I'm also really curious how they will play against Finland tomorrow. I have seen German junior teams play well and even winning against Switzerland, Slovakia, Czech Republic in similar tournaments (usually U17 or U16), but when they played a team like Finland they got clobbered. Hopefully that won't happen this time, but even if it does, this is by far the most exciting group of German talents since the Draisaitl years. And while they are probably a little weaker at the top, the depth appears to be better than back then.

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
What position does he play? RW?

I don't really know. I have seen him play RW and C and have seen him listed as LW. He has also played some games on D a year or two ago.
Not sure what his best/primary position is.

FinPanda

Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Two goals against the Finns when they end up losing 4-3. Germany took too many penalties and I think that cost the game.

8+1 in four games. Impressive.

jnk96

Feb 25, 2013
At the rink.
I don't really know. I have seen him play RW and C and have seen him listed as LW. He has also played some games on D a year or two ago.
Not sure what his best/primary position is.
RW/LW, never C. Depends a bit on who the other winger on his line is.

Not sure what the games on D were about. He did an extremely good job there, too, but it was only at the very beginning of his DNL career.

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
RW/LW, never C. Depends a bit on who the other winger on his line is.

Not sure what the games on D were about. He did an extremely good job there, too, but it was only at the very beginning of his DNL career.

I have definitely seen him take a bunch of faceoffs, without anybody being thrown out. Not sure if he then moved to the wing once the puck was in play.
Maybe I got the players mixed up since the stream quality was decent but not great.

I know these game reports are not always accurate but here is one from the beginning of this season in the DNL where Valenti was listed as C.

Offizieller Spielbericht

jnk96

Feb 25, 2013
At the rink.
I have definitely seen him take a bunch of faceoffs, without anybody being thrown out. Not sure if he then moved to the wing once the puck was in play.
Maybe I got the players mixed up since the stream quality was decent but not great.

I know these game reports are not always accurate but here is one from the beginning of this season in the DNL where Valenti was listed as C.

Offizieller Spielbericht
Huh. I guess they just switch around a bunch then. I've seen Valenti many, many times over the past years and never at centre. He'll be a winger at the next level as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->