F Tyler Peddle - Drummondville Voltigeurs, QMJHL (2023, 224th, CBJ)

Andy Lehoux

Jan 2, 2018
Peddle was drafted 2nd overall at the 2021 QMJHL Draft and will play with Drummondville this upcoming season. The left-shooting attacker is currently listed at 6'1 and 190 pounds. From Antigonish, NB, Canada.

EP Profile

Here's my game report on his performance from April 30th 2021 if anyone is interested.

Peddle is a smooth-skating, goalscoring forward who highlighted his explosive stride and quick release with aggressive transition attacks. The left winger possesses incredibly quick first steps, and some even more swift, powerful crossovers — allowing him to storm promptly out of his zone as a dynamic outlet option. Peddle flashed the puck skills and assertiveness to go 1 on 1 with defenders, but he could look to add changes of pace to his game to become more elusive. His shot might be his best asset, displaying polished mechanics, above average velocity and excellent finishing touch. The left-handed attacker showcased refined 4-way mobility and slick edge work that made his movement in all areas of the ice efficient. His solid strength and balance were also evident as he fought off checks through traffic. Peddle made simple passes to open teammates, but his vision and passing skills were uninspired — rarely creating for others. His great energy offensively did not translate to the defensive zone, where his eagerness to get back on the counterattack was prominent. Peddle will most likely become one of the top goalscorer at the junior level.

Reactions: Dominance

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
Would agree with most of that report. I don't think he sees the ice at a very high level and isn't going to create for linemates much. He's a run and gun winger with deadly finish. Pretty one-dimensional but elite at what he does. Clearly has tools to learn to do more than that, but I don't know if he'll ever learn to be a threat in other ways. His game was like that at the Bantam level and it does not seem to have evolved.

For the junior level, I expect he'll eventually score 40 goals a season, but beyond that I don't know what his potential really is.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Would agree with most of that report. I don't think he sees the ice at a very high level and isn't going to create for linemates much. He's a run and gun winger with deadly finish. Pretty one-dimensional but elite at what he does. Clearly has tools to learn to do more than that, but I don't know if he'll ever learn to be a threat in other ways. His game was like that at the Bantam level and it does not seem to have evolved.

For the junior level, I expect he'll eventually score 40 goals a season, but beyond that I don't know what his potential really is.

I agree with both of you and what I'm about to say is true about basically every player but I'm going to say it anyway. What Peddle becomes is going to come down to how he approaches the transition to the QMJHL. He can try to take the "I'm already a star goal scorer" approach and never round out his game like an Anderson MacDonald. Or he could embrace another element of the game and go into the NHL draft as a more well rounded player.

As has been said by both posters, his finishing is unmatched in this QMJHL draft. But his game isn't flawless. I don't think he's going to develop into an elite playmaker or even an above average playmaker, he seems to have some hockey IQ limitations there that he might figure out but I personally wouldn't bet on it. I don't think his elite finishing is elite enough to be elite NHL finishing without more to his game. Did I use the word elite yet? So is he going to embrace a more defensive or physical role? It's up to him, those are 2 things that almost entirely come down to effort.

As of today, I'm not sold on Peddle as an NHL prospect. I hope I revisit this in a year or 2 saying "nvm he figured it out" because he could be a hell of a complimentary scorer in the NHL with the right adjustments to his current game.

Reactions: wetcoast

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Don't peddle him.

You're better than that.

(Sounds like a decent player to watch. Thanks for the report)

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
I agree with both of you and what I'm about to say is true about basically every player but I'm going to say it anyway. What Peddle becomes is going to come down to how he approaches the transition to the QMJHL. He can try to take the "I'm already a star goal scorer" approach and never round out his game like an Anderson MacDonald. Or he could embrace another element of the game and go into the NHL draft as a more well rounded player.

As has been said by both posters, his finishing is unmatched in this QMJHL draft. But his game isn't flawless. I don't think he's going to develop into an elite playmaker or even an above average playmaker, he seems to have some hockey IQ limitations there that he might figure out but I personally wouldn't bet on it. I don't think his elite finishing is elite enough to be elite NHL finishing without more to his game. Did I use the word elite yet? So is he going to embrace a more defensive or physical role? It's up to him, those are 2 things that almost entirely come down to effort.

As of today, I'm not sold on Peddle as an NHL prospect. I hope I revisit this in a year or 2 saying "nvm he figured it out" because he could be a hell of a complimentary scorer in the NHL with the right adjustments to his current game.
Complementary, unless you mean that he's free with his compliments.

Sorry, but for me it's like nails on a chalkboard...
:soap:

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
I always find it interesting to see those good young English-Canadian players from NS, NB, NL, PEI as well as those from USA going to a very French environment to play junior.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
He scored already less than 5 min into his 1st exhibition game.

I see a bit of Owen Tippet in his game.

Had a decent game where he showcased his elite shot, his speed and his puck skills, but then again he was skating right into the defensemen on the rush instead of slowing the game down and making a pass to a trailing teammate. Elite tools, we will see if he learns to use them better.

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
Had a decent game where he showcased his elite shot, his speed and his puck skills, but then again he was skating right into the defensemen on the rush instead of slowing the game down and making a pass to a trailing teammate. Elite tools, we will see if he learns to use them better.

He is quite raw, but I really don't see the Anderson MacDonald comparison another poster above made, both are goal scorers and that's about where the comparison ends stylistically. Peddle is a much better skater and stronger and more powerful, where as MacDonald was intelligent away from the puck with a great shot. I agree he needs to learn different paces but his aggression and assertiveness offensively are a good sign right now.

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
He is quite raw, but I really don't see the Anderson MacDonald comparison another poster above made, both are goal scorers and that's about where the comparison ends stylistically. Peddle is a much better skater and stronger and more powerful, where as MacDonald was intelligent away from the puck with a great shot. I agree he needs to learn different paces but his aggression and assertiveness offensively are a good sign right now.

If anything he is closer to Cameron MacDonald than Anderson MacDonald if you ask me.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009

Pretty sure it wasn't an Anderson MacDonald comparison

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Top prospect for the 2023 draft?, 2nd overall pick in the 2021 QMJHL Draft (Voltigeurs)
tyler peddle scouting reports - Google Search

Center from Antigonish, SN, Canada - Tyler Peddle - 2005 -

Measurements :

Elite : 6 foot 1 / 190 lbs
QMJHL : 6 foot 0 / 175 lbs

Tyler Peddle at eliteprospects.com
(has about 20 000 views)

He played for Shattuck St. Mary's last season; 31 goals in 47 games.
signed to play for the Voltigeurs this season.

Scored a goal and a primary assist in his Q (preseason debut) | 13/27 at face-offs
he played with Loic Goyette (2005, 2021 17th overall, Voltigeurs) and CA. Dumont (2003)
in the first line.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Screen Shot 2021-08-20 at 10.47.32 AM.png

how?

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
I always find it interesting to see those good young English-Canadian players from NS, NB, NL, PEI as well as those from USA going to a very French environment to play junior.
Peddle is a N.S. native, and so, if he wants to play major junior, he has to play in the QMJHL for whatever team drafts him. Many players say they don't want to play in certain cities because of education (either English players in Quebec cities, or French players in Maritime cities), but if you have NHL aspirations, it's best to just go to whoever drafts you.

There are ways to study by correspondence, so he'll get his high school degree, but someone like Dawson Mercer played in Drummondville and did very well.

BTW, Peddle's dad, Brad, is the long-time coach for the St. F.X. X-Men and I covered the AUAA hockey conference when he played for the X-Men. He's a Newfoundlander who had a big shot and scored a ton of points as a blueliner for the X-Men. He had 18 goals in 26 games in his senior year.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Dude has had a strong start for his preaseason.
scored 2 goals with 7 shots on goal and 12/21 at face-offs tonight.

Peddle 2 games, 3 goals, 1 assist, 11 shots on goal, 25/48 at face-offs
(his line mate, who is actually 2024 draft eligible player; Loic Goyette, 2 games, 2 goals, 1 assist, 7 shots on goal,
who is really good sized W/C 6 feet tall, 181 lbs, that's pretty much a pro hockey player size,
really impressive for whom is eligible for the 2024 draft)

Last edited:

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Peddle is a N.S. native, and so, if he wants to play major junior, he has to play in the QMJHL for whatever team drafts him. Many players say they don't want to play in certain cities because of education (either English players in Quebec cities, or French players in Maritime cities), but if you have NHL aspirations, it's best to just go to whoever drafts you.

There are ways to study by correspondence, so he'll get his high school degree, but someone like Dawson Mercer played in Drummondville and did very well.

BTW, Peddle's dad, Brad, is the long-time coach for the St. F.X. X-Men and I covered the AUAA hockey conference when he played for the X-Men. He's a Newfoundlander who had a big shot and scored a ton of points as a blueliner for the X-Men. He had 18 goals in 26 games in his senior year.

Well, Peddle didn't want to play for whoever drafted him. He was threatening USHL in order to influence who would pick him. Cape Breton traded the #2 pick in the draft to Drummondville because Peddle wasn't going to report if the Eagles picked him.

The city and their primary language was less of a factor than the player development track record of the franchise that picked him. Dubois and Batherson didn't change the reputation in Cape Breton, rightfully so imo.

kyle44

Jan 7, 2007
Well, Peddle didn't want to play for whoever drafted him. He was threatening USHL in order to influence who would pick him. Cape Breton traded the #2 pick in the draft to Drummondville because Peddle wasn't going to report if the Eagles picked him.

The city and their primary language was less of a factor than the player development track record of the franchise that picked him. Dubois and Batherson didn't change the reputation in Cape Breton, rightfully so imo.

it’s a bit of a chicken and egg scenario when comparing player development across CHL teams. Are smaller market teams that much worse at developing pros than larger market teams, or is it simply that larger market teams attract the best talent and have better odds? For example, Halifax is a great program to be sure, but it helps when Mackinnon, Drouin, Ehlers, etc. will report there. The lure of a large market, plus previous success from superstars that have reported, gives them a huge advantage in player attraction. For example, I would contend that none of the Mooseheads top 4 picks last year would’ve reported to Cape Breton (Vidicek, Dumais, Furlong and Swan).

This is not to say that Drummondville is a large market. IMO it’s quite embarrassing for the Eagles that a NS kid chose to play there instead of 2 hours from his home where he could’ve been an immediate top line player. Rather, just noting that markets like Cape Breton face unique circumstances that hinder their ability to produce top end pros relative to some others.

Last edited:

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007

CB learned their lesson after spending 1st round picks on NS players like Bowers and O'leary only to watch them go to the USHL.

This time around they weren't going to take a chance on a kid who was 50/50 at 2nd overall. By the looks of it Peddle actually had some legitimate NCAA aspirations though, as he still did not commit to the Volts after the draft, and really took his time deciding.

Reactions: Tube Skates

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad