Post-Game Talk: F*** the Penguins | Washington @ Pittsburgh | 1/19/21 7:00 PM ET | NBCSN, NBCSWashington, Sportsnet

Status
Not open for further replies.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
tumblr_pvxd74f2OW1v6w3juo4_400.gifv

tenor.gif

Last edited:

GoCaps2004

Jun 26, 2014

Interesting to see Sprong on the second line and Oshie bumped down. Wasn't watching super closely, but Sprong didn't seem too strong on Sunday so kinda surprised they're not only sticking with him over Sheary, but moving him up in the lineup

crab

Jan 26, 2019

Interesting to see Sprong on the second line and Oshie bumped down. Wasn't watching super closely, but Sprong didn't seem too strong on Sunday so kinda surprised they're not only sticking with him over Sheary, but moving him up in the lineup

That second line is defensively terrible. Yikes.

Reactions: AussieCapsFan

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

This seems like a jump start swap. Hoping Sprong has a taste for revenge and Osh-babe can get the 3rd going.

Reactions: GoCaps2004

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions

The third line has been dead offensively. Eller and Sheary each have 1 assist but that's it, and the line hasn't been threatening at all either so it's not like they were snake bit and the points will come. Seems like Lavi trying to balance the middle six more than anything else. Top line is playing well and bottom line is playing well and he wants to jumpstart lines two and three.

As an aside, I've long held a concern that too many players in the bottom six are redundant and devoid of scoring ability. Feels like BMac swung too far on the "grit and defensively responsible" pendulum when filling out those spots.

Reactions: GoCaps2004

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
surprised sprong getting 2nd line promotion after Lavi benched him in the 3rd period and doubled shifted Wilson

francaisvolantsparis

Nov 21, 2018
Nice

Laviolette is tying to do something with the ubertrash third line. Every line with Eller on it is garbage. We should try a Panik-Orlov-Oshie line, anyway it will be better.

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
FWIW, Laviolette said that double-shifting Tom last game wasn't because of anything that Sprong did. Although that could just be coach-speak:

Alex Ovechkin scores, Zdeno Chara's PK role and more Capitals observations

• Daniel Sprong played a team-low 8:01 in his season debut but Laviolette explained that it wasn’t because he was unhappy with the winger.
“Nothing to do with him,” Laviolette said. “I thought he was good. … I was (double-shifting) Tom. I thought Tom was really strong out there, playing the game really hard. It didn’t have to do with Sprong. Just the way the game was going, we were pressing, we were looking for a win. I thought Tom was on his game so I was trying to find him some ice time.”
Sprong was inserted into the lineup in place of Conor Sheary. Laviolette said the reason for the switch was that he wanted give Sprong, who enjoyed a strong training camp, an opportunity to play.

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
Looks like Kapanen makes his Pens debut tonight:

And surprisingly they bench Jarry, and its DeSmith again:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad